Spiritual Non-Fiction posted November 2, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
What have we done?

Spoilt it all!

by Wendy G


Dear Father,

I am sorry. Sorry for the way we have rejected You and despised all You have done for us. I speak in general terms on behalf of all of us humans.

We’ve spoilt the creation you gifted to us. Our greed and self-centredness have degraded our planet.

We’ve hurt and killed the animals we were meant to care for. We don’t care.

We’ve turned on each other. We’ve devised ingenious ways to kill each other and to cause unbelievable human suffering. We are guilty of irrational nationalism, which simply leads to wars and never-ending strife. Our world has been plagued by national pride and jealousy since the earliest of times.

We’ve lost the truth. That’s been collateral damage of our arrogance – arrogance because we think we know best, can live without You, are not responsible to You, and don’t want to believe in You. We believe lies – because we want to. Lies are more palatable than the truth.

You offered free choice to love you, and we claimed that free choice – and most of us chose not to love You, yes, refused to love you. Now people don’t want You or any thought of You to hinder their hedonism.

We run from our guilt by saying we are not guilty. We won’t accept that we have sinned against you – we have chosen to do what is right in our own eyes. We don’t like the idea of sin; we say that sin is just a religious construct and a restriction. We want personal freedom to do and say as we please.

We all proclaim our own truth and declare that all truths are equally valid. But we are wrong, for truth is absolute and not all truths can be simultaneously true. That’s obvious. We are indeed foolish. In rejecting the Source of wisdom, we have become fools.

Why do we accept extraordinarily complex explanations and fables when we have access to Your truth? Because Your truth requires submission and commitment to You – and we humans don’t want that. Again, we want freedom. Personal freedom is the catchcry. At what point does one person’s individual freedom impact on another’s? We all want to claim our own rights. What are our “rights”?

We are reaping the consequences of our choices. We look around and see the world in turmoil, we see nature groaning and natural disasters following one after another because we have not looked after our environment. Many even seem surprised at what is happening around the world. Others refuse to believe we are in crisis, and have a laissez-faire attitude, hoping it will return to normal soon, or that with man’s intelligence we will devise a way to redeem ourselves.

Father, if we are saddened by all this mess, how grieved you must be.

Why is it so hard for us to show love, kindness, compassion, and patience towards one another? To care for the weak and vulnerable of our society rather than despise them? Why do we allow death to be the sentence of all those we consider to be a burden or an inconvenience? Why do we encourage people to feel they are doing well to choose the time of their own passing? Why do we never look to You for guidance in all these things?

Why can we not be satisfied with meeting our needs rather than grasping after unnecessary wants? It’s envy, and covetousness. Why do we grasp after material prosperity and wealth, rather than seek the spiritual treasures of Your kingdom, and in so doing look after each other?

Why are we content with tokens of spirituality, rather than yearning for Your Holy Spirit to fill us?

Why will we be surprised, when at the end of time You say to us that we will have what we want – Your absence from our lives?

That’s when we will realise that to be without You altogether, and without hope of ever being with You – that is indeed hell. If we have chosen to refuse You, we will have to accept what that choice signifies.

For You are love, and without You, there is no love. You are light, life, goodness, justice, grace, and mercy. You are wise, compassionate, and caring, and it is only in Your mercy that we are given more time to come to this realisation.

Father, I have been speaking on behalf of humans in general. On the whole, we’ve ignored and rejected You.


Yes, there are exceptions. Yes, love is still evident - but it is just a tiny reflection of your lavish, generous, and unconditional love. Yes, nature and animals are still beautiful when we do look after them - or even just leave them in peace.

Some of us want to be with You, some of us want to love You and be with You. Some of us do love You and we say, “Thank You” for all have done, are doing and will do.

We are looking forward to the time when Your Son will receive the honour and praise which He deserves. Thank you, in the meantime, for Your love and mercy. I choose to focus on what is good in our world, on what is precious, beautiful and uplifting. I choose to talk to You about everything - the good, the bad, and the ugly, knowing You understand and care. 

Love from

Your daughter.




Dear God contest entry

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.