Supernatural Fiction posted October 28, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Revised Sweet Chaos/A Novel of the Breedline series

Ashes to Ashes...

by scongrove


Jem’s eyes moved under his closed lids, dreaming of fire as it swept through the city, scorching everything in its wake. He saw the ground blacken and hundreds of trees go up in flames. It completely engulfed buildings, cars, and thousands among thousands of people. He helplessly watched bodies burn beyond recognition until there was nothing left but powdered ash. Everything around him was in utter chaos and devastation.

Instinctively, he covered his nose, desperate to block the smell of sulfur, burning wood, and charred flesh. He was all alone in a burnt world, surrounded by nothing but death and destruction.

Then, realization hit him. I did this. He remembered how it all happened. The blazing inferno had been caused by him, that it had burst from the palms of his hands. He staggered back, his mind a whirlwind, and looked down at his hands. “No…”

A voice calling out to him caught him by surprise. “Jem… Where are you?”

It was a woman. Although it sounded familiar, he couldn’t put a face to the voice. He could vaguely see an image, but it was mostly a blur. It was like a distant memory, tucked away somewhere inside his head. Who was she?

“Hello…” He called back, his eyes searching through the smoldering ruins that were now covered in ash and thick with smoke. “Who’s there?”

Suddenly, a dark shadow, evolving out of the smoke into a human shape, appeared before him. It was a woman, with long, raven hair, wearing a white gown stained with ash and blood. Her skin was as pale as a corpse, and the color of her eyes were like two burning coals. She looked as though she’d been crying by the tear-stained soot that streaked her face.

He cocked his head to the side. “Do I know you?”

“Don’t you remember?” Her scarlet lips trembled as more tears began to trickle down her cheeks. “It’s me. Your beloved, Mia.”

And he did remember. Her name rang clear in his head. Yes, Mia is my beloved. His mind took him back to the day they first met. It was at a bar. That night, he’d driven his motorcycle and it had been raining. After she approached him, they started up a conversation. A few hours later, she’d offered him a ride. She’d taken him back to her place and asked him to stay over. He’d agreed, then, they’d made love… They’d fallen in love.

“I remember,” he finally said, reaching out to her.

She smiled, and as she went to grasp hold of his hand, something grabbed her by the waist and hoisted her off her feet.

“Mia…” He tried to latch onto her hand, but she was too far out of his reach.

“Hurry, Jem,” she cried out. “Please… Come back home. You’re in danger.”

Out of nowhere, darkness surrounded her like a cloak. Then, in the blink of an eye, it swallowed her whole.

“No!” Jem helplessly pleaded, then fell to his knees with his arms outstretched. “Mia!”

Jem’s own screams snapped him out of the nightmarish dream. His eyes flew open, and he shot upright with a gasp. “Mia…”

Finally, he got his bearings and took a deep breath, realizing he was back in his bedroom, sitting up in bed. With shaky hands, he wiped the sweat from his brow, trying to process everything he’d dreamed. He wondered what Mia meant by all she’d said in the dream. Come back home? This was his home, wasn’t it? Then, she’d said he was in danger. What kind of danger?

It all seemed so real, like a vision of some kind. The more he thought about it, the more he couldn’t make sense of it all. Mia, he thought, achingly. Where are you?  

Then, memories of a stoned castle-like structure with rounded arches instantly flashed before his eyes. It was perched on top of a hill with a spectacular view, surrounded by several acres of land. He recalled a wrought-iron gate with security guards, an American flag, and a fountain with a wolf sculpture near the front entrance. There was also a medical facility attached to the west end of the massive estate. For some strange reason, he felt as though this place held an important significance, not only to him, but also to the people who resided there. But who were they? It seemed as if they were somehow connected to something with principles that had to do with protecting humanity. Why can’t I remember?        

His mind reeled with so many questions. And he wanted answers. He’d demand them. He was getting impatient, desperate to get his memory back. So instead of lying around in bed, he decided to go downstairs and wait for his father. Surely, he would fill in the gaps and help him remember.

The moment Jem made his way downstairs and into the enormous kitchen, he saw his half-brother standing near a coffee pot, pouring himself a cup. He stood there quietly, his eyes searching over the dimly lit kitchen. It was nothing like the rest of his father’s castle. Instead of a Medieval interior design, it was more modern, with granite countertops, steel appliances, and glassed-in shelves holding what looked to be vintage dishes.

Jem’s boots made a scuffling noise as he moved further inside.

Sebastian turned to face him. “Couldn’t sleep either, eh?”

Jem shook his head. “Do you know where Mia is?”

Sebastian stiffened. Oh, shit! “Uh…” His mind reeled, trying to come up with an answer. “Sounds like someone is starting to get their memory back.”

“Only muddled bits and pieces.” Jem sounded discouraged. “But I do remember her. So, do you know where she might be?”

“Not at the moment,” Sebastian lied, flashing him a sympathetic look. “Sorry, brother.” 

“What about my phone? I’d like to call her.”

“I haven’t the faintest idea where your phone is. You’d have to ask father.”

“It doesn’t make any damn sense.” Jem sighed, then reached up and felt the bandage that was still covering his wounded head. “Why am I just starting to remember the person who is supposed to be the love of my life? I mean, I realize I’ve had an accident, but my memories should be back by now. And there’s something else I remember. An image of a massive estate popped into my head this morning. It looked like a castle out of a fairytale. It was even bigger than our father’s. There was a guarded entrance.” He paused, thinking back on what he recalled. “I remember an American flag, a fountain with a wolf sculpture, and an attached medical facility. Although I have no recollection of where this place is, for some reason, I get the feeling it’s somewhere near the Red Forest National Park. And I think the people who live there are part of an organization that’s connected to me. You do know what I’m talking about, right?”

Sebastian took a slow sip of his coffee, then set it down and moved closer to Jem. “If I tell you, promise you’ll never mention this to father.”

“Why?”

“Because…” Sebastian paused, hoping what he was about to reveal wasn’t going to get him killed. “That place you just mentioned sounds a lot like our father’s archenemies.”

“You mean, the Breedline?”

Sebastian nodded. “The Breedline Covenant.”

“Mia’s there, isn’t she?”

“Maybe,” Sebastian answered with a shrug.

“If you take me there, I promise I won’t say a word to father.”

“Well…” Sebastian rubbed his jaw thoughtfully. “I don’t have any idea where this place is. But you’re right about one thing. It’s somewhere in the vicinity of that park you mentioned. Come on, brother.” He huffed. “Surely you can remember.”

“I told you. I don’t remember.”

“Sure, you do.” Sebastian faked a smile, then pointed toward Jem’s head. “It’s somewhere locked away in that noggin of yours. Just concentrate. It’ll come to you.”

Jem closed his eyes, exhaled a deep breath, then thought of nothing but the castle with the flag and the wolf sculpture. He silently repeated the words over and over. Breedline Covenant… Breedline Covenant… Breedline Covenant.  

To be continued. . .

Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. I'm rewriting my first book, Sweet Chaos, and I'd appreciate your feedback. If you're interested in previous chapters, go to Revised Sweet Chaos/A Novel of the Breedline series. I hope you enjoy it and have a blessed day!             





Post Number 500
A Milestone Post


A reference for terms and cast of characters for this chapter, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A secret species of humans created to protect humanity. Born with an identical twin, they have the power to shapeshift into wolves. They are not like the old legend of the lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. In wolf form, they have superstrength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines, born with an identical twin, shift into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedline twins do not go through the change until they make love to their bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - They have the power to shapeshift into wolves, born with a strong, unbreakable bond. They share telepathic abilities with the power to sense their twin's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins is so strong they cannot live without the other.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends his life searching for their bonded mate. When two Breedline species experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. The bond is for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their life span.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins' bond with the same female.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

Jace Chamberlain - He is a Breedline species who is an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos. He has bonded with Tessa Fairchild.

Jem Chamberlain - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Sebastian Crow - He was born with the genetics of a Breedline and a succubus. He's Jem and Jace's half-brother and Alexander's son.

Alexander Crest - He was born a Breedline and is possessed by an ancient demon who wants to destroy humanity and take over the Breedline Covenants. He is Sebastian, Jem, and Jace's biological father.

Mia Blackwood - She was born with the genetics of a Breedline and a succubus. She is a private investigator and bonded with Jem Chamberlain.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.