General Fiction posted October 29, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Art by granddaughter, Kenzie Jo

The Smart Intruder

by Debi Pick Marquette


My new Halloween landline phone rang at the exact same time as the bedroom door slammed shut. It startled me, but a breeze had come up, and I could tell we were in for a storm. I bought this new phone because I loved the all-grey, eerie-looking skull with the old-fashioned receiver handset. I thought it was fun because it doubled as a Halloween decoration. But now it was becoming a nuisance because it kept ringing without anyone on the other end. I had contacted the phone company, and they felt it might be a connection failure in their line since it had been a while since it had been used. They were sending someone out to check it in the morning. 

I grabbed one of the rocks that the grandkids had painted for us. I used them to hold the doors open on those days when we were lucky enough to open windows.  I loved the breeze coming through the house and especially loved sleeping with windows open during a thunderstorm. It was almost Halloween, the season between the central air and the furnace. Therefore, it was one of my favorite times of the year.
 
The phone had made me a little unnerved, but other than that, I had no reservations about staying alone for a few nights since Glen had been in the hospital after his surgery. 
 
 I had been staying with him since he went in, and I was exhausted. I came home for the night and looked forward to a good night's sleep before returning to the hospital in the morning.
 
I had lived alone for months when he was working out of state, with periodic flights back and forth to Colorado for a weekend here and there. So why was I so jumpy over the wind blowing a door closed and a faulty connection in a telephone line?
 
I unplugged my bigger iPad and took it to my bedroom to do some writing. I do not care for the onscreen keyboard, but it is a fair trade-off when I think about how I love sitting in my adjustable bed for a few hours, watching TV, and taking care of business. 
 
As I started to get ready for bed, the phone rang again. I went into the kitchen to answer it before I finally got fed up and disconnected it. I knew Glen would be calling to say goodnight, but he could call my cell phone.
 
I could tell the storm was getting closer because the satellite dish for my TV was popping in and out of its reception. We had some warnings issued for us, but I wasn't worried as they usually didn't amount to anything. 
 
I was happy my iPad was charged. I turned it on, sat up, and started working on some planned writing. Rain and storms always seemed to inspire me. 
 
I started poking at the screen with my Apple Pencil and it wasn't long before I felt my eyes getting heavy. I don't know how much time had passed, but I dozed off.
 
 Suddenly, I was startled by the phone ringing again. What in the world was going on? I was sure I had disconnected it. I noticed a light coming from the kitchen. Had I left the light on in there? No, I hadn't. Everything was shut off when I went to bed, except the nightlight in the bathroom. 
 
Just as I was about to check it out, I heard talking coming from the kitchen. Now, I was terrified. Do I call 911?  I wanted to get up and lock my bedroom door, but I didn't want to make any noise that would attract attention.
 
Maybe it was Glen. I bet they released him early, and he was talking to whoever brought him home. But how do I know for sure? I would call his cell phone, and if he were home, I would hear his phone and voice. As I dialed his number, I could only hear it ringing from my cellphone, so I instantly knew it was not him in the kitchen. 
 
Whoever it was had to have thought they were alone in the house, so I knew I had to remain quiet. I texted my son, Jason, who lives next door. He would know what to do. Thankfully, he received my text right away and said there must be a logical explanation, and he would be right over.
 
It wasn't long before I heard a car pull into the driveway. Now, I wondered if this was a good idea. What if he got hurt, or worse, by surprising the intruders? He did exactly what I had asked him not to do. He knocked on the door. Dear God, please let him be okay. Now I hear him pounding on the door. What does he expect them to do, answer? 
 
I don't think he believed me. I could tell by his questions when he texted me back that he was sure I had left the kitchen light on. I heard his key in the door and could hear him walking around. I wondered where the intruders had gone. Were they hiding somewhere? I prayed he wouldn't find anything, or anything find him.
 
Suddenly, someone is standing in my doorway with a flashlight. Dear God, please let it be Jason.  
"Mom, Mom, are you okay?" I reached over and turned the lamp on, and when he approached me, I started crying. "Where are they?" "Mom, there is nobody here. I checked all the rooms, and I doubt your intruders would lock the doors on their way out." He gave me a big hug and asked me to come into the kitchen with him for a few minutes.
 
 He looked things over a little closer.  "Mom, when did you get this smart landline phone/radio/light?"
 I told him I had gotten it only a few days ago for Halloween, and what do you mean light and radio? I thought it was just a cool phone. I hadn't looked at it that closely or looked at the box it came in yet.
 
He continued then to tell me that they now make new smart landline phones that have a built-in radio and light that automatically turns on in a power outage as a safety feature to help you get around and still have use of your phone and radio. 
 
"So the radio must have been what I was hearing?  But wait a minute, I disconnected that phone, and yet it still rang?" " Yes, that is another precaution, so if you lose power or your lines are inactive, you still have all three that work. The phone then works like a smartphone. They are all rechargeable and also run by Bluetooth function."
 
 Mystery solved. He laughed, kissed me goodnight and told me to get some sleep. I wasn't sure if I would be able to fall back asleep, but I sure was going to try.
 
He had barely left our yard when the phone rang again. I thought to myself, I bet it is Jason checking to make sure I am okay here by myself for the night..... "Hello, Hello!" Suddenly, the skull lit up and I saw fire coming out of the eyes. This time, there was someone or something on the other end. "ROAAAARRRGGGHHH!!!"  I slammed the receiver down but now it hissed and growled, as spooky music started to play. Chills ran up and down my spine, as the music got louder and louder. I didn't know what to do……………So I danced.



Halloween Story contest entry

Recognized

#19
October
2023



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Debi Pick Marquette All rights reserved.
Debi Pick Marquette has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.