Writing Non-Fiction posted September 27, 2023 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The Colorization Of Comics

A chapter in the book Funny Pages

Sunday Supplement

by Brett Matthew West


(NOTE: The postings in this series about comics intentionally kept short. Enjoy!)

Beginning in the 1880's, newspapers had published what became known as proto-comic strips. They also published editorial cartoons. Something new occurred on November 18, 1894. That was the first time a Sunday comic section was published in color by the New York World newspaper. This unique act also created an enormous leap in the sales of newspapers.

Back in those days even small towns produced multiple newspapers. The Sunday supplement became a huge factor in the competition to sell them. Before color comics came along, most newspapers were either thrown away or used for fish wrappings.

These Sunday supplements were chocked full of things for kids and the popular family-friendly comic strips of the day. They also provided an opportunity to create a new part of popular culture that never existed previously.

And, that is how the colorization of comics began.

(Next Time: Mutt and Jeff - how comics went daily)



Recognized


Lace Butterflies, Silk Flowers, artwork by helvi2, selected to complement my posting.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by helvi2 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.