General Fiction posted September 17, 2023


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
How did these people get a driver's license?

Shape Up and Drive RIGHT

by Laine Carson


I had a 482 miles to travel. The scenery was going be beautiful. It was such a nice day for a road trip. I was really looking forward to it...But there were other drivers on the road!

I first met Mr. Swervemeister . I was afraid to even pass him, but I did. Sure enough, he was not even looking at the road. He was looking at his phone. What in the world can be so important on that phone that he has to see it NOW? There needs to be a new technology. One where if you see a driver texting or looking at their phone you can push a button and Presto! All their phone data is erased! That would surely deter some of these imbeciles.

Irritation mounted as I was forced to pass in the right lane. Ms. Headintheclouds was obviously oblivious to highway driving rules. That lane is for passing not for strolling. Who was she passing? Driving 55 miles on a 70 mile per hour interstate highway...IN THE WRONG LANE!
I could not understand how all these people passing in the right lane did not turn on a light bulb for her.

I had only been on the road for an hour. I still had 6 hours left before reaching my destination. There was road construction ahead. First of all; the speed limit was lowered to 50 mph and all the speed demons had to be somewhere NOW, so they just kept flying. The road signs said to merge left but these speed demons whose time is more important than human life thought they were going to speed ahead and jump in front of everyone who had already merged. I shouted to all of them, "Don't let them in!" Of course they let them in. How were speed demons supposed to learn any lessons when enabled to behave badly? I didn't know who I was more angry with, the speed demons or the enablers.

Then there were all these people wanting to hitch onto my bumper for a tow or something. It was a four lane highway and instead of passing they just rode my tail. I could not imagine what would have happened had a deer run out in front of me and I needed to brake. Brake checks did not work because they were too close to even see my tail lights. Crazy people. I wondered how much of their income went toward traffic tickets.

I finally got off the highway and into the city. Traffic was horrible. I got to this one stop sign that had so much cross traffic I just knew I would be there all day. I waited and waited for an opening. Then just when I saw a possibility I was hesitant so I figured it was better to be safe than sorry so I waited for the car to pass. He got up to me and turned onto the street where I had been waiting for the last...what felt like hours. Apparently his signal light did not work, because he surely saw that I had no idea he was turning, or I would not have waited.

Believe it or not, I did make it to my final destination, in spite of the fact that no one but me knows how to drive. Maybe I could attach a mega horn to my hood to offer free driving instructions before the next trip.

Rant over. I feel so much better.






Write A Rant contest entry


I know I do not drive perfectly and I most certainly do not qualify as a driving instructor, but at age 63...I have had a license for 47 years and NEVER gotten a ticket.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by avmurray at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Laine Carson All rights reserved.
Laine Carson has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.