Western Flash Fiction posted September 12, 2023


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
150 word short western story

Customer Service

by CrystieCookie999


A stranger, a man around fifty-five and dressed in a wide-cuffed buckskin jacket with silver rivets, walked into a western bar and asked for a whiskey.
"That will be two bits," said the bartender, who also happened to be the owner of the bar. He was the kind of man who shaved himself, cut his own hair, and watered down his whiskey to maximize profits.
The stranger paid for his drink with a silver eagle dollar and downed the entire whiskey in seconds. Since he was already as drunk as a skunk, he entirely forgot to wait for his change and stumbled back out into the dirt street. The bartender walked nonchalantly over to the wooden batwing doors and whispered, "Come back! You forgot your change."
"What gives?" said a blonde dance hall girl standing nearby.
"Now no one can say I didn't try to be honest," the bartender smirked.



Flash Fiction contest entry

Recognized


I counted 150 words on two attempts in Microsoft Word, and their Word Count also says 150. I separated the lines with dialogue, but the word counter here thinks new lines add new words.
Thanks to MoonWillow for a western town scene.
"Two bits" is equal to twenty-five cents, so the customer should have received seventy-five cents in change. The 'batwing doors' are the iconic wooden doors that swing both directions in most depictions of American Old West saloons in movies and television.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by MoonWillow at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. CrystieCookie999 All rights reserved.
CrystieCookie999 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.