Romance Fiction posted September 10, 2023 Chapters:  ...26 27 -28- 29... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Emma returns to work after the car accident.

A chapter in the book Guided by Faith

Chapter 18 A

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Depend on God in every part of your life, and He will guide, protect, and comfort you. Will God guide Emma's life? If He does, will she listen?
Seth and Emma met 18 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

*****
Almost half-an-hour later, Seth walked in the door and held up a bag. "Keith provided lunch. Where's Emma?"

"She's taking a bubble bath."

"Can she get out of the tub by herself? Yesterday, she would've been too sore for that."

"Good question. That's why I'm staying. I'm not sure she thought that far ahead."

Shaking his head, Seth grinned. "Does she ever?"

"She doesn't have many faults but that's one. You're too close to help her. I'll stay until I'm sure she's out."

"We're only friends, but I'm glad you're staying."

"Go ahead and believe the friend part if you want."

{EVIENDENTLY, EMMA GOT OUT OF THE BATHTUB WITHOUT INCIDENT. MY CHARACTERS NEVER COMMENTED ON IT TO ME. IF THEY LET ME KNOW, I'LL LET YOU KNOW. FOR REAL!!!!!}

TODAY'S POST

Chapter 18 A

A little after six o'clock Tuesday morning, Seth knocked on Emma's door. When she opened it, her lips formed a pout. "I thought we agreed on six-thirty. I'm not ready."

"We did. I thought you might need some help. Ace can take out ..."

"I have a wonderful doggy porch so Molly can go out whenever she wants," interrupted Emma.

"That you do." He petted Ace, standing beside him. "Sorry buddy, your services aren't needed. Is there anything I can help with?" Seth watched her walk toward the kitchen. "You seem to be getting around better. How's your neck?"

"It's just a little sore. It depends how I move it. The headache's gone, so that's a good thing."

"Your neck will probably be stiff for a few more days." Seth watched as she attempted to braid her hair. She got frustrated when she couldn't move her arms back enough, so he offered, "I've never braided hair before, but I can try."

"I need to put up my hair for work." Emma handed him a large barrette. "Can you clasp it in this? It might work. If not, Mom can braid it."

"I'll try." Seth gathered together her soft, long hair. It smells like strawberries. He put the barrette around and secured it. "I hope this holds."

"It should. Thank you." She smiled. "Now you have a new skill."

"I doubt I'll use it often."

*****
As Seth drove into the downtown area, Emma asked, "I was wondering if I could paint the bedroom."

"It was painted a few months before you moved in. Is there a problem?"

"Not really. But yesterday I spent a lot of time in there and thought it needed some color. I'll paint it myself."

With a chuckle and a head shake, Seth asked, "How are you going to paint? You're struggling walking. Besides off white has some color."

She ignored his last comment and said, "I'll wait until I'm healed."

"What color are you thinking about?"

"Robin egg blue or sea foam green. They're both light colors."

"Show me the color swatches and then I'll decide."

"Thank you."

Seth parked in front of the bakery/bookstore, got out, and opened the cruiser door for her. "I'll be in for coffee around mid-morning."

Emma walked through the bakery door that Seth held for her, as she said, "I hope so. I'll have some beignets ready."

"You don't need to go to the trouble. Please don't overdo."

"I won't."

Seth chuckled as he walked back to the cruiser. Of course, she won't.

*****
Later that morning, Seth and Carl entered the bakery and Emma was ready with their coffee, pastries, and Ace's dog treat. She set them on the table, and then Carl hugged her as Seth asked, "How are you feeling?"

She smiled. "I'm okay. Since you were early this morning, I forgot something. When I went into the kitchen, I saw some flowering tulip bulbs on the counter. You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?"

"You've mentioned you like tulips, and Hank told me you wanted to buy them the other day."

"You bought them for me?"

"I did."

"Thank you, but you didn't need to."

"You've had a few rough days in a row. I thought they might help."

"They did," she said as she started to hug him, but a customer called to her. "I'll be back."

Emma returned and refilled their coffee cups. "In a few minutes I thought I'd walk down to the hardware store and get those paint swatches."

Seth glanced out the bakery's front window. "I know it's only two blocks, but would you take Ace with you?" He checked his watch. "I'd go but I have a meeting in fifteen minutes."

"Why?"

"That man from Saturday might be hanging around. I'd rather not take any chances. Ace is right outside. When you return, just send him to the station. He knows the way."

Emma's green eyes sparkled as they lit the dining area. "Now you understand why I need my own guard dog?"

Shaking his head, Seth said, "I've already said I'd help once you think about it for longer than a day."

Keith walked over. "What's my daughter trying to talk you into?"

"Emma thinks she wants a trained guard dog. Like Ace."

"Do you understand how expensive it is to feed a dog the size of Ace and the vet bills?" asked Keith.

"But...but..." Emma gave up and changed the subject, "I'm going to the hardware store and getting paint swatches. Yes, I'll take Ace. Dad, I should be right back."

"Honey, why do you need paint swatches?" Keith called after her.

Seth took a sip of coffee then answered Keith, "She wants to paint the bedroom."

"I'll get a coffee pot and leave it on your table. I think you're going to need it." When Keith returned, he grinned. "Seth, you're on your own with her. You sure you want to rent to her? First the dog porch and now painting."

"She keeps me on my toes."

"That she does."

Carl grinned. "I think Chief enjoys the challenge."

"I agree." Keith glanced at the kitchen. "I'd better get back. Good luck."

*****
When Emma returned with a paint swatch, Seth had returned to the police station. She prepared a large coffee to-go and put the last two beignets in a bag along with a treat for Ace. Stapled on the outside was a note, I changed my mind. Robin egg blue was too blue. I hope you like icy blue. Is it okay? Please enjoy the treats. Emma.

Before Emma sent Ace back, she sent Seth a text: "Ace is on his way with a bag." She put the bag in Ace's mouth. "Take this to Seth. There's something for you too." Standing in the doorway, she watched Ace walk across the street and then waited at the door until Seth opened it.

Seth waved and took the bag. He answered the text: "Thank you, but you didn't need to. See you about six."


Because I'll be with my granddaughters next Sunday, I doubt I'll post. I will post as soon as I can. We'll stay in a hotel Monday evening, so I may post from there. I doubt I'll post anything on Thursday.


*****
Character List:

Police Chief Seth Carter - hero and Beaverton's Police Chief

Emma Winters - heroine and waitress at her parents' bakery and bookstore, but just graduated college with a teaching degree.

Carl Jones - Seth's good friend and right-hand man

Susan and Keith Winters - Emma's parents and owners of Winters' Family Bakery and Bookstore

Molly - Emma's almost four-pound Pomeranian

Ace - Seth's German shepherd, a trained K-9

Pastor Pat - Pastor of the Church and Emma's Godfather

Jake Baker - Seth's mentor and Winters' family friend

Ray Hudson - Works at the bakery

Peggy Barton - Emma knew her in high school and is the assistant librarian, she's making a play for Seth

Linda Holton - the town librarian

Mayor Castle - mayor of Beaverton

George Elliot - city council member, from old money, and father of Marc Elliot

Marc Elliot - troubled teenager



Recognized

#9
September
2023


Thank you, Google Images, for image of an icy blue bedroom. I doubt Emma's is this nice. I wanted something else but couldn't find anything.

Chapter 18 is divided up into two parts. This is part 1 of Chapter 18. I do this so the posts aren't' as long. This post is a little over 1000 words.


I made major changes as I posted. I hope I don't need to correct those corrections. Thank you for all your help and suggestions. I appreciate you dropping by and leaving reviews and your support of my writing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.