Romance Fiction posted September 4, 2023 Chapters:  ...25 26 -27- 28... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
George Elliot and Emma talk.

A chapter in the book Guided by Faith

Chapter 17 B

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Depend on God in every part of your life, and He will guide, protect, and comfort you. Will God guide Emma's life? If He does, will she listen?
Seth and Emma met 17 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Marc jumped up. "Dad, do something!"

"I'll try but I'm not sure I can this time. We'll discuss bail when he's arraigned." George got up and started to walk out but paused. "When's the arraignment?"

"Tomorrow afternoon at 1:00."

In the office area, George saw Seth and shook his head.

Seth watched him head toward the bakery and called to give Keith a heads up.


TODAY'S POST

Chapter 17 B

When George Elliot entered the bakery, Leslie, a waitress, walked up to him. "Please sit anywhere. Can I bring you some coffee?"
"No. I want to speak to the owner."

Keith overheard the conversation, walked from his office, and offered his hand. "Keith Winters, I'm the owner. Mr. Elliot, how can I help you?"

Accepting Keith's hand, George said, "I need to speak with your daughter."

"Emma was in a car accident yesterday. She's at home recovering. I'd be glad to help anyway I can."

"I'll find her myself." He turned and left.

Keith called Jake and relayed the information that Elliot was on his way.

*****
After putting his phone away, Jake said to Emma through her closed bedroom door, "Pumpkin, Elliot's on his way."

She opened the door. "He's angry?"

"From what I hear, yes. I know I don't need to say this but watch what or how you say everything. Also, I'm recording the conversation."

"I know I need to keep Seth out of it. I'm glad he's at work. I'll finish getting ready."

Jake answered George's knock on the front door. Elliot's eyes widened. "Sheriff Baker, why are you here? Aren't you a little old to be a suitor for Ms. Winters?"

Aren't you a little old for Peggy Barton? Jake remained emotionless. "Emma's doctor said she shouldn't be left alone. I've been a family friend since she was little. I needed to use some vacation time and her parents were needed at work. I volunteered. So, to answer your question, no I'm not a suitor. More like an uncle or big brother." Jake tapped on Emma's door. "Mr. Elliot's here and wants to speak with you."

A few moments later, Emma gingerly left her room and offered her hand. "Hello. It's good to meet you." She pointed to the couch. "Please have a seat? Jake, the coffee's fresh, right?" He nodded, so she continued, "Mr. Elliot, would you like a cup?"

Elliot indicated he would, so Jake brought one to him.

George sipped coffee for a few moments, before Emma asked, "I'm not sure why you're here."

"I understand you were in a car accident that involved my son, yesterday."

"I was. I wasn't told who the other driver was. I hope your son's unhurt."

"He's fine. The facts are a little unclear. Can you tell me what happened?"

"Okay. I left for church a little early." Emma pointed at a small aloe plant in a broken pot. "I was taking that start-up to Mrs. Hawkins. I was about halfway there, when I noticed a red sports car coming from the opposite direction. I moved to the right to give the driver as much room as possible." She sighed. "It didn't help. The driver hit me, forcing me into the ditch. It happened so fast. I don't remember anything until EMT removed me from my car."

"How are you doing today? I noticed you didn't go to work."

"I'm very sore. The doctor's restricted me to home today. I'll be able to go back tomorrow."

Jake stood in the kitchen area. "Emma, you may need to be home a few more days. You can barely walk."

She frowned. "If I don't work, I don't get paid. I still have bills. With rest today, I'm sure I'll be a lot better tomorrow."

George glanced around the small cabin. "I thought your parents owned the bakery/bookstore." When she indicated they did, he continued, "That's one of the more profitable businesses in town. I'm sure they can help."

"My parents have offered help. I've turned it down. I'm twenty-two. I need to make my own way. Don't get me wrong. I have the best parents in the world, but I'm an adult." Emma hesitated. "Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"Your car's totaled, right?" After she agreed, he continued, "How will you get to work when you're feeling better?"

"I have plenty of friends who've offered to give me a ride. If someone isn't available, then I'll call a taxi. I'm praying the insurance companies can agree quickly."

"I'm not turning this into my insurance company." When Emma's eyes widened, he explained, "This isn't Marc's first accident. I'm covering the cost myself." His eyes met hers. "So far you need hospital costs and at least a day's wages," he thought a moment, "along with tips, and a new car covered. Is that correct?" Before Emma answered, he held up his iPad. "Would one of these cars work?"

Emma shook her head. "They're very nice. I'm sure most people would like them, but I'm not most people. I need a serviceable car I can afford. I couldn't afford the insurance or upkeep on those cars. They're not practical for me."

"What if I agreed to pay the insurance and upkeep?"

"No. I won't accept that. I feel you owe me another car, but that's it."

"Ms. Winters, you drive a hard bargain." George kept his gaze on Ace as he walked in from the back porch. "Isn't that Chief Carter's dog? I've heard you and he are dating."

"We're friends but that's it."

Jake moved closer. "She's right. I'm doing some work on the roof while I'm here. We borrowed Ace so I could be outside. Ace can notify me, if Emma needs something."

"Okay." He stood. "I'm going to do some research on affordable cars and get back with you in a few days. Is that agreeable?"

Emma nodded. "You'll probably find me at the bakery."

"I'll look for you there." He left.

After Jake shut the door, he studied Emma. "Are you okay?"

"Do you think it went all right?"

"I do."

"Good. I'm taking a bubble bath."

*****
Almost a half-an-hour later, Seth walked in the door and held up a bag. "Keith provided lunch. Where's Emma?"

"She's taking a bubble bath."

"Can she get out of the tub by herself? Yesterday, she would've been too sore for that."

"Good question. That's why I'm staying. I'm not sure she thought that far ahead."

Shaking his head, Seth grinned. "Does she ever?"

"She doesn't have many faults but that's one. You're too close to help her. I'll stay until I'm sure she's out."

"We're only friends, but I'm glad you're staying."

"Go ahead and believe the friend part if you want."


*****
Character List:

Police Chief Seth Carter - hero and Beaverton's Police Chief

Emma Winters - heroine and waitress at her parents' bakery and bookstore, but just graduated college with a teaching degree.

Carl Jones - Seth's good friend and right-hand man

Susan and Keith Winters - Emma's parents and owners of Winters' Family Bakery and Bookstore

Molly - Emma's almost four-pound Pomeranian

Ace - Seth's German shepherd, a trained K-9

Pastor Pat - Pastor of the Church and Emma's Godfather

Jake Baker - Seth's mentor and Winters' family friend

Ray Hudson - Works at the bakery

Peggy Barton - Emma knew her in high school and is the assistant librarian, she's making a play for Seth

Linda Holton - the town librarian

Mayor Castle - mayor of Beaverton

George Elliot - city council member, from old money, and father of Marc Elliot

Marc Elliot - troubled teenager



Recognized

#7
September
2023


Thank you, Google Images, for image of a lady in a bubble bath.

Chapter 17 is divided up into two parts. This is part 2 of Chapter 17. I do this so the posts aren't' as long. This post is a little over 1000 words.

I made major changes as I posted. I hope I don't need to correct those corrections. Thank you for all your help and suggestions. I appreciate you dropping by and leaving reviews and your support of my writing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.