Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted August 24, 2023 Chapters: 3 4 -5- 6 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
After action report of the Local Author's Fair.

A chapter in the book Writing Journey

What I learned.

by barbara.wilkey




Background
I can't say thank you enough to my FanStory friends and family. Your support has kept me writing.
I hope to share some of the things I learned from the Harker Heights Local Author Fair.

1) Bigger isn't necessarily better. The town I live in has about 33,000 people. So, I assumed Harker Heights/Killeen being a much larger city, about 186,192 people, there would be many more people attend. I was wrong.

There were many more authors in attendance, twenty-four to be exact than people who attended. My first meet the author, only had eight authors. There were six authors who wrote children's books, and two authors who wrote romance novels. Cookbooks, westerns, self-help, poetry, and fantasy were represented, with only one author for each. To be honest, the rest of the books I couldn't really put into a category.

I was the best-selling author. I sold a total of six books at the fair, but because of the fair, I have sold seven additional books. For a total of thirteen because of the fair. Two of the children's book authors tied for second place with each selling two books. The other romance author sold one book and the cookbook author sold one book. That's it.

From what I understand from authors who live in the Harker Heights area, the Local Author Fair was not publicized. All of the authors voiced disappointment because of it. The library was beautiful, but not one poster or in any way was this event posted inside or outside the library. When I got back home, I went on their website, and it showed one notice Friday evening posted around 7:00. The event began Saturday morning at 11:00. I have no idea why this event wasn't publicized.

2) A positive from the event. I was able to network with other authors. I did discover there is a publisher in Harker Heights so if my publisher, Kevin and I have a falling out there's one close to home. Someone here on FanStory mentioned they were looking for an illustrator. I discovered and have the contact information for a fantastic illustrator. I saw her work in another author's book. It was beautiful. I would highly recommend her. I can't remember who was looking for one. Please contact me, I will gladly share this information. She lives in Kansas City. I also have the contact information for a publisher who mainly publishes poetry. Let me know if you're interested.

3) My author's table at this event made the Killeen Newspaper, but not me in Sunday's newspaper, but my friend. I was walking around and chatting with other authors. The artwork I used for this post is from the newspaper. I am supposed to be the featured author in another newspaper that comes out the end of this week.

4) Would I do it again? Yes, I would. It was a great experience, and I met some really special people.



Recognized

#18
August
2023


As people comment on this, I will probably add to it. I did last weeks. I hope this helps some of you.

I am hoping to get back to my letters for my granddaughters next week. So much has been happening that it's been set aside.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.