General Non-Fiction posted August 16, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The author has placed a Mush Warning on this post!

Thank You for Being a Friend

by Debi Pick Marquette


In my world at home, I have one very best friend of over forty years, others who are wonderful friends, and some who are forever friends. I could write about them, but the truth is, I am in contact with my friends here more than I am with those at home.
 
When I think about my friends here, I can't put my finger on just one. How could you when there are so many talented people with so many amazing qualities? 

For instance, one of the first people I met when I joined FanStory was a woman who had so many of the same relatable childhood experiences that could not be denied. Eventually, we became very close and concluded we were friends and sisters of the universe. 
 
Another friend deals with a major road block and faces a very big challenge every day of her life. But I have seen her kick that road-block to the curb and tells the challenge to not bother her, because she is busy writing.  She is always upbeat, fun, has a big smile with a prayerfully tender heart. She is one of the dear angels here.
 
One special friend keeps me smiling, and many times laughing. She is the true greeter of FS and is one of the sweetest people I know.  We both have a bit of a rebel side, so we have alter egos that love to dip their toes in the sea of "The limits."  They do so to get just close enough, but are able to stay out of trouble and not get their toes too wet.   :  )
 
This one-of-a-kind friend makes me always want to be a better person, not judge others or treat anyone unfairly. She has a full plate, but never too full to put some of my stuff on there too. She's one who will stop everything for a prayer for you and always follow through to see how you are doing.
 
There is one friend who is so loved and respected here, that it came at no surprise to me that right from the start, he felt like a big brother to me.
 
I have a friend that encourages and challenges my writing with caring support, always honest feedback, and praise if deserved. This friend has been like a mentor, and I am so very thankful for the vote of confidence that gives me the courage to keep trying something new.
 
A dear friend ended up being a birthday twin to me, after we found out that we were born the same day. What are the odds of that coming up in a conversation? And what a cool feeling to know that someone you already consider a friend has been writing your birthdate their entire life. Then we found a friend who was born only a few days later and we became triplets. Life can be more interesting when you allow yourself to think outside of the box,  just for the fun of it.
 
I have many that live the same values and morals that I have. What a blessing to have friends who also are on that same journey in preparation for a life as friends thru eternity. 
 
Most so awesomely offer respectful feedback. These friends genuinely care about helping you improve the quality of your work. They are partially responsible for posts that do well or even winning contests.
 
 Some are lonely and the friend who takes the time in a review to say a few kind words can make this type of person's day. Many can relate to those who feel that being part of this community is much like the air we breathe. That is for me, because it is such a big piece of the puzzle in my life. This may be the only form of happiness in one's day. You can go there at any given moment and find a friend who might be exactly what you need at just the right time. It may be just a writing site to some, but how could you possibly not feel these emotions when you are constantly reading what comes from the heart and soul of others?
 
Once after I posted a poem about something I felt strongly about, another member who felt as strongly as I did, wrote a silly little poem for me. At that time no one had ever done anything like that for me before. We became friends and we have since written for each other. However now she has left for reasons unknown. I miss her terribly and hope she comes back, as her presence is missed by all.
 
I think it is the coolest thing to know that you could travel almost anywhere in the world, and be able to say that you have at least one friend who lives in that country.
 
I love those who make me laugh, smile, and cry tears of joy. They have so much compassion, they could make a bird sing. You are the ones who reach in and tug ever so kindly on the heart strings. 
 
Anyone who believes you can't become attached to someone you physically have never met, has never met all the wonderful people who I have been talking about. Either that or they have not opened their heart enough to receive the reward of what comes from these remarkable personalities, in this buffet of friendships.
 
Most of you fall into many of these categories, and I feel blessed just knowing you.
You know who you are!  Each of you has some unique quality that separates you from everyone else.
 
 Your friendship is Golden to me!
 
So thank you for being a friend!
 
 
 
 
I dedicate this story to a friend we recently lost. If it wasn't true that we can come to love these people we have never met, then I would have to wonder why I miss her so much. My heart still aches from news of her death and has left a void that nobody else will ever fill. I used to tease her and ask if she lived in my portfolio, because I wouldn't even be done promoting a post, and I would have a message asking if I would like a video or she would suggest a few changes. She taught me so much and was one of the most giving people I have ever met in either world. 
Thank you Jan, for being our friend. 
 
 

 
 
 



Recognized

#12
August
2023


I was signed up for the "Friends" contest but decided not to enter with this post, as everyone who knows me, also knows that this is just the kind of post I would write as I am and may be too obvious for a blind contest.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Debi Pick Marquette All rights reserved.
Debi Pick Marquette has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.