Romance Fiction posted August 13, 2023 Chapters:  ...22 23 -24- 25... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Emma accepts Seth's help.

A chapter in the book Guided by Faith

Chapter 16 B

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Depend on God in every part of your life, and He will guide, protect, and comfort you. Will God guide Emma's life? If He does, will she listen?
Seth and Emma met 16 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Seth read the statement before they walked to his pickup. At the pickup, Emma said, "I'm sorry my hug compromised your job."

He glanced at the sky and then his eyes met hers. "I needed that hug as much as you. Leave it at that."

She nodded as he helped her inside the pickup.


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 16 B

When the couple walked inside the Winters' home, Susan, Keith, and Pastor Pat rushed to Emma. She smiled. "As you can see, I'm fine. Mom, I'll help in the kitchen."

Susan placed both hands on the back of a chair. "You'll sit here and visit with me."

Emma frowned but sat and answered her mother's questions.

*****
The men went into the den to get the real answers as to how Emma was. Seth relayed about the elevated blood pressure, but no internal injuries or a concussion. He held up a prescription bottle. "She needs to take these for pain. Somebody will need to stay with her for a day and a half, possibly two days."

Keith sighed. "I'm sure she didn't take that news well." A moment passed before he added, "We all have jobs that require us to be present. How are we going to manage it? How about we take shifts? I'll contact Jake and see if he can help."

Seth glanced toward the door. "Mayor Castle's been after me to take the vacation time I've accrued. I haven't taken any since I started, a year and half ago. I'll take a day or so and shingle the dog porch roof. Maybe Emma will accept me being there for that."

They agreed that might work.

*****
Once everybody was seated around the table, Pastor Pat blessed the food.

Emma's eyes met Keith's. "Daddy, your Father's Day present is in the car."

Seth removed his phone. "Anything else?"

"The plant for Mrs. Hawkins and my guitar."

After Seth spoke with his office, he said, "Somebody will get them and bring them by."

"Thank you."

Before long an officer arrived and handed Seth the items. Although asked to join them for lunch, he needed to get back on patrol. The aloe plant's pot was broken, and her guitar smashed.

"I'll deal with that stuff later." Emma frowned, before she faced her dad and smiled as she handed him an envelope. "Daddy, you're what every daughter wishes for in a father. My first love."

Keith opened it. "Wow!" He held up two tickets for McDonald Observatory with the star gazing tour. "Emma?" He hugged her.

"I knew you've always wanted to go. Now you don't have an excuse not to. I'm home. I can cover the bakery."

Pastor Pat said, "I'll help," as he tapped Seth's arm. "I'm sure this guy will too."

Seth grinned. "Of course."

Susan hugged her daughter, before she said, "Perfect present." She glanced at the table. "Let's get these leftovers packed so Emma can take them home. She needs rest."

"Mom, you don't need to." Emma stood.

"I do, too. That's what Moms do. Seth, will you help her to the couch?"

"Sure." He stood and held her chair. "Emma?"

"I don't need all this help. I'm fine. I can take care of myself."

"Then why do you cringe every time you move?" asked Seth.

Emma ignored the question.

*****
Pastor Pat and Seth carried the boxes to the pickup, as Seth said, "I've helped Emma carry in food almost every Sunday."

"Keith feels he needs to pay Emma the same hourly rate as he does the other waitresses so there's no favoritism. To supplement her income, they provide leftover Sunday dinner. It's about all the help she'll accept."

Tilting his head, Seth asked, "Does she struggle making ends meet?"

"The way we figure it, she barely covers things as long as there's nothing extra. This car accident's going to set her back. I'm sure you're aware how she wants to be independent and manage things herself."

"She's voiced it more than a few times."

As Keith helped Emma out the door, she kissed his cheek. "I'll see you tomorrow morning."

Seth glared at her. "What did the doctor say?" His eyes met Keith's. "The earliest she'll return is Tuesday. I'm not sure about that."

Keith added, "Sweetheart, you need to follow doctor's orders. Besides you don't have a car."

"I'll take a taxi."

Keith shook his head. "They're expensive."

Seth held open the passenger door. "We'll work something out. I'm right there. I'll let you know what we come up with."

*****
Seth turned into their lane, and Emma said, "Don't you dare stop at your house. I'm staying at my own place, by myself."

Parking in front of her garage, he faced her. "I've learned how stubborn you can be when you get an idea in your head, no matter how wrong it is."

"That's not very nice."

"But it's true." He got out of the pickup. "Wait for my help." He assisted her to the door. "While you rest, I'll carry in the boxes. Ace will take out Fur Ball."

"You're bossy." Once Seth had Emma comfortable on the couch, she said, "Seth, thank you for everything. I do appreciate it. None of this is your responsibility."

His eyes met hers. "It's what friends do for friends."

After he had the food refrigerated, he grinned at her sleeping and covered her. I need to go home, get my laptop, and a sleeping bag. That couch won't make it. He wrote a note and then said, "Ace, stay by her."

Seth returned before Emma woke up. He put the sleeping bag in the garage. I'm not arguing about this. While at home he had grabbed his Insta-pot, chicken, carrots, noodles, onion, and celery. I'm sure she has a few spices. Maybe she'll prefer some chicken broth instead of the ham and au gratin potatoes. She didn't eat any lunch.

After Seth put it on to cook, he checked his emails. He grinned at the photos Carl sent from Elliot's house with Peggy Barton partially dressed rushing outside with George Elliot wearing only a robe, both were clearly drunk. The officers called a taxi for Peggy and told George to come to the police station in the morning. No interrogation of Marc would happen until he was present. They also informed him a doctor had checked his son. He had no injuries but an alcohol blood level of .14%.

Seth glanced at his watch. It's almost time for her next pill. Should I wake her? As he studied her deciding what to do, he remembered the hug they shared. It felt better than it should've. I'm almost eight years older than her. I need to be more careful. She's breaking through my defenses, hell, she already has.

Emma started to move. After a stretch and a cringe, she sat up and petted Ace. "Seth?"

"I'm here. How you feeling?"

"Like a Mac-truck hit me."

"I'm sure." Seth opened the pill bottle. "It's time for your next pill." He handed her a glass of water and the pill. "You didn't eat much lunch. Want something to eat?"

She swallowed it. "No." When he frowned, she added, "Maybe later." She turned her head and sniffed. "What do I smell? It smells good."

"I thought some chicken broth might taste good. You can have just a cup of broth or noodles with a few veggies with it if you'd like. I also brought some crackers." He turned his head when the timer went off. "It's ready."

Emma attempted to get up. "Maybe some chicken broth would taste good. I think I'll change into something more comfortable."

"I'll help you get off the couch." He put an arm around her back and slipped his hand under her arm. He held her other arm and lifted. "I don't know another way to help."

"Neither do I." After she stood, she said, "Thank you." She walked gingerly toward her bedroom.

"If you need help, let me know."

"I won't."

Seth shook his head and grinned. "Of course."


*****
Character List:

Police Chief Seth Carter - hero and Beaverton's Police Chief

Emma Winters - heroine and waitress at her parents' bakery and bookstore, but just graduated college with a teaching degree.

Carl Jones - Seth's good friend and right-hand man

Susan and Keith Winters - Emma's parents and owners of Winters' Family Bakery and Bookstore

Molly - Emma's almost four-pound Pomeranian

Ace - Seth's German shepherd, a trained K-9

Pastor Pat - Pastor of the Church and Emma's Godfather

Jake Baker - Seth's mentor and Winters' family friend

Ray Hudson - Works at the bakery

Peggy Barton - Emma knew her in high school and is the assistant librarian, she's making a play for Seth

Linda Holton - the town librarian

Mayor Castle - mayor of Beaverton

George Elliot - city council member, from old money, and father of Marc Elliot

Marc Elliot - troubled teenager













Recognized

#10
August
2023


Thank you, Google Images, for an image of a lady sleeping on the couch.


Chapter 16 ended up being divided into three parts for FanStory. When I edited part 2 last week, I realized it was over 2,000 words, so I divided it again. This is part 2. Next week I'll post part 3. This post is a over under 1,200 words.

During the week, I made some major changes and continued to make changes as I posted. I can't seem to get this post the way I want it. I hope I don't need to correct those corrections. Thank you for all your help and suggestions. I appreciate you dropping by and leaving reviews and your support of my writing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.