Biographical Non-Fiction posted August 3, 2023 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
What I want you to know about me

A chapter in the book A Paper Time Capsule

Letter 9

by barbara.wilkey




Background
I'm sharing stories with my granddaughters, now ages three and five as keepsake collection when they're older.
Dear Charlotte and Eleanor,

I feel you already know so much about me. I've been an open book with you. Although, we live far from each other, your parents have done a wonderful job Zooming, keeping in touch with Grandpa and me. We talk every Sunday afternoon for hours and on holidays or special days. Your parents also contact us during the week if something special happens. We do visit in person a couple times a year. Not nearly enough for Grandpa and me.

At the end of our Zoom calls, your hugs and kisses melt my heart. The times your parents call during the week, because you demanded to speak with Grandma brings tears to my eyes, even though it's usually because your parents are disciplining you and you felt you needed a good lawyer. Grandmas do make great lawyers for grandchildren.

The most important thing I want you to know about me is no matter what, I'll always love you. There's nothing you could do that would cause me not to love you. Grandma's love is unconditional.

Lesson learned:

* Unconditional love is given unconditionally.


*****
That's the end of the letter, but I need to share this with you. I know the grandmas out there will smile. Eleanor turned 3 years old last Saturday. I sent a text to my son, Andrew that said: Tell Eleanor Happy Birthday from Grandma and give her a hug and kiss from me.

A little later I received a Facetime call, with Eleanor's cute little face. I immediately wished her Happy Birthday. She blew me a kiss. I asked what she was having for her birthday breakfast. Her reply, "Cereal and popcorn."

Andrew got on the phone. "Mom, see what you started?"

I always allowed my boys to choose the meals for the day of their birthday. I said, "I think it's a perfect birthday breakfast."

Andrew: "Mom, don't encourage her."

I couldn't help but laugh. Her dinner was salami, watermelon, and popcorn. I never really heard what lunch was, but I'm pretty sure it included popcorn. LOL She wanted to go to the pool for her birthday activities so they many have eaten there.

I may end up flying to St. Louis next weekend to babysit. Mom teaches biology at a university and starts school one week before Charlotte starts kindergarten. Eleanor goes to daycare at the hospital where Andrew works. They're trying to find a babysitter. Other than the daycare at the hospital only Grandma has babysat.



Recognized

#19
August
2023


Thank you google images for a little boy going this his grandma's because she misses him.

I'm thinking the girls should receive this post while they're teenagers.

I envision the girls reading them on their own, so I probably will prepare them for each granddaughter, even though here I am posting them for both girls. I think that would be more personal, if I did them individually.

As I edited this post this week, deleted as many words as possible. I am attempting to stick to the suggested writing prompt and number of words. I've decided to add additional letters where I can go into more details. I'll finish the writing prompt first and then go into more depth and post those letters too.

Thank you for your support and suggestions.

Next week's prompt: My wishes for you are...


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.