Romance Fiction posted July 23, 2023 Chapters:  ...19 20 -21- 22... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Emma briefly encounters the man from college.

A chapter in the book Guided by Faith

Faith Chapter 15 A

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Depend on God in every part of your life, and He will guide, protect, and comfort you. Will God guide Emma's life? If He does, will she listen?
Seth and Emma met 15 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

When they arrived at Emma's, Ace took out Molly. After the two dogs returned, Emma said, "Thank you for tonight. I know it wasn't a lot of fun, but I appreciate the time you took."

"If it helped you get closer to forgiving me, it was a perfect evening."

"It did."

"Good. Ace, come on. Emma, goodnight. I'll see you in the morning." He walked out and then returned. "Be careful around Ms. Barton. I'm not sure what she's capable of."

"I will. Tomorrow I'll have breakfast ready."

"I'll bring a can of coffee." He turned and started walking away.

Emma called after him, "I still have plenty from last week."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 15 A

Molly barked, as Emma finished breakfast. She opened the front door, but avoided eye contact. "Perfect timing. We didn't discuss the time for this morning, so I prepared for the same time as last week. Did you catch up on your sleep?"

Seth held up a can of coffee. "I did. Thank you for asking."

Taking the coffee, but still avoiding eye contact, Emma said, "Now I have more than enough. Should we expect help?"

"Not sure. Yesterday, I made the final frame. I couldn't put them up. They're large enough that it's a two-person job. When that's finished, we'll add the screen and then the roof. Fur Ball can use it without a roof. I'll add it later." Seth sat and watched Emma. She must've had a rough night. She was more comfortable with me when I left.

Emma set a plate filled with scrambled eggs, sausage, and biscuits in front of him and glanced at the coffee pot. "Enjoy. Coffee's almost done."

After taking a bite, Seth said, "Thank you. It's good. Are you joining me?"

Swallowing, she said, "I will as soon as the coffee's done." She started rinsing dishes.

Seth took a plate, added food, and set it at her usual spot. "Sit. I'll get the coffee."

A few minutes after she sat, he placed a cup of coffee in front of her.

Without looking up, she said, "Thank you."

Taking a sip of coffee, Seth sat. "I want to apologize again for yesterday. I'm sorry. I hope you can forgive me."

"Please don't continue apologizing. I know you're sorry." Emma hesitated. "Often when something like this happens there's an underlying feeling that the comment's connected to. I'm wondering what fed into your feelings."

"I didn't expect that." Seth exhaled. "Mistrust of women because of a previous relationship."

Emma nodded. "That would do it. I'm guessing you were hurt."

He turned away. "I was."

"I can tell you're uncomfortable. I'll accept your answer."

"Thank you." He took the last bite of food on his plate and drained his cup. "Let's clean up and get outside." He noticed Emma still picking at her food. "You finish. I'll take care of the dishes."

*****
It wasn't long before they were outside holding one of the frames next to poles already set in cement.

Both Seth and Emma turned when they heard Jake's voice, "Seth, it looks like your help's a little short."

"Maybe, but Emma can hold her own. You didn't need to come, but I'm glad you did. I was going to call you later. I need information on Marc Elliot."

"He feels he's entitled. He's always in trouble, has a drinking problem, and every time he's arrested, I suspect his parents bribe the victims, so they'll drop the charges. I haven't been able to get anything to stick. Why?"

Seth relayed Thursday's incident.

Jake faced Emma. "Pumpkin, stay away from him. If he comes into the bakery, let your dad handle him. If Keith isn't around, then Ray." After she nodded, he said, "I'm serious. I'll give Keith heads up." He took the side of the frame from Emma. "Let's get busy."

Emma glanced around. "Now what?"

Grinning, Seth pointed. "Go in the porch and look to your left. I started adding the horizontal boards, but decided they needed corner braces under them. Underneath the one I have in place add braces, one on each side. Then add the other horizontal boards and braces. I'm sure I made that as clear as mud."

"I think I understand. I'll start and when your hands are free you can check my work." She went into the garage to get more 4X4's, corner braces, nails, and a hammer.

Whispering, Jake asked, "Something happen before I got here? Emma doesn't have her sparkle."

"I screwed up. She's actually partially forgiven me. It was worse."

"Ouch! It must've been bad."

"It was."

Holding up a nail, Emma asked, "Is this what you want me to use?"

Seth studied it. "I originally thought so, but now I'm looking at it, I think wood screws would work better."

Carl walked around the corner. "I'll show her."

Jake and Seth yelled, "Hi, and glad you're here."

Carl and Emma worked adding the inside horizontal boards and corner braces. Emma studied the one she just finished. "I can use these as shelves, can't I?"

Seth nodded. "You can. I'm guessing you already have plans."

She smiled. "I do."

Pastor Pat joined the group. "What's my job?"

Pointing, Seth said, "You and Carl can work together and put up the next frame. Once all the frames are up, we'll add the screen."

Keith provided lunch. Early afternoon they worked stapling the screens to the frames.

Seth wiped sweat from his face and studied the dog porch still in progress. "Thanks everybody. This has gone a lot faster than I expected and it looks great. Before long we can start the roof." He paused. "Emma, would you mind taking my truck to the hardware store and getting asphalt felt paper. I'll call ahead and tell Hank you're coming. Someone will help carry it." After she agreed, he made the call. "Hank knows I'll be in on Monday and pay." He handed Emma the keys. "If you have any problems, call." As she started toward his house, he yelled, "The garage door opener is on the key ring." He hesitated. "Ace, go with her."

The German shepherd ran after her with Molly following.

Seth called, "Ace, bring Fur Ball back."

After Ace herded the small dog back, Seth lifted her. "You need to stay inside until Emma and Ace return." She excitedly licked his face as he shook his head.

Carl chuckled. "I see why you're building a dog porch. That little critter's a mess."

"You got that right."

*****
Emma stood at the hardware store's counter while Ace waited at the front door. Hank glanced up from some papers. "Emma, hello. Chief Carter called and told me to expect you. I have his order ready. I'll get help loading it."

"Thank you."
"I'll let you know when every thing's loaded."

"Great. I'll be in the garden section."

As Emma studied tulip bulbs, Hank asked, "Want me to add those to the bill?"

"No, but the blooms are beautiful. How much are they?"

"Twelve dollars plus tax."

Emma checked her wallet and frowned. "I'll have to wait."

When Hank's name was called, he turned his head. "I'm needed. They'll be finished loading in about five minutes. It's nice seeing you again."

Continuing to admire the tulips, Emma turned when someone bumped into her. A man grabbed her arm and in a raspy voice whispered, "We meet again." He pulled her toward the outside gate.

"Help!" She hit, kicked him, and attempted to yank free.

Ace came running. As he neared with teeth bared, the man released Emma and ran. Ace remained by Emma's side.

Hank came to her and wanted to call the police, but Emma declined and hurried away.

Inside Seth's truck, Ace laid his paw on Emma's arm as she cried. She clung to the large dog's neck. "Thank you."

When tears lessened, Emma drove home. She parked in her driveway and rushed inside her house.

*****
Ace ran to the backyard, stood by Seth, and bumped his head against his arm. Seth asked, "Where's Emma?"

Ace nuzzled Seth and walked toward the house.

"She's inside? What's wrong?"

Pastor Pat nodded toward the house. "I think Ace is saying you're needed."

Seth glanced at the board he held.

Carl said, "Go. We got this."

Leaning the board against the building, Seth walked inside, paused as his eyes adjusted, and then saw Emma sitting on the couch hugging Molly. As he got closer, he noticed tears streaming down her cheeks and sat beside her. "What happened? Was it Ms. Barton?"

She shook her head.

"I can't help if you don't talk."

Through her tears Emma said, "Will I be accused of manipulating a situation? Ace already rescued me."

Setting his jaw, Seth said, "I deserved that. No. Ace can do amazing things, but so far, he can't talk."

"That man from college grabbed my arm and tried to force me to go with him."

"He's in town?"

Emma nodded.

"Which arm? Can I see it? I want to make sure you're not hurt."

She raised her sleeve. "I'm not."

Rubbing his hand along the area Emma indicated, Seth said, "It's red. There may be some bruising."

Seth removed his phone and stepped out front. "I'm calling Hank."

After speaking with Hank and telling him an officer would be there to get the security tapes, Seth asked, "What was Emma doing in the garden section?" He listened. "Checking tulips? Did she buy them?" Seth shook his head. "Hold them. I'll be there Monday and buy them. Don't worry about not staying with her. You didn't know this was going to happen." After hanging up, Seth called his office and sent an officer to the hardware store.

Seth returned and sat beside Emma. "What can I do to make you feel better?"

"Nothing." She glanced at the backdoor. "Please go outside with the guys. I'll be out in a few minutes."

"Emma?" He studied her. "I don't like leaving when you're upset."

"I'm fine, really."

"You're not fine." He stood and then sat again. "This is because of my stupid comment yesterday, isn't it?"

Emma turned away.

"You just answered by your reaction." Seth stood. "I'll be out back if you need me."


*****
Character List:

Police Chief Seth Carter - hero and Beaverton's Police Chief

Emma Winters - heroine and waitress at her parents' bakery and bookstore, but just graduated college with a teaching degree.

Carl Jones - Seth's good friend and right-hand man

Susan and Keith Winters - Emma's parents and owners of Winters' Family Bakery and Bookstore

Molly - Emma's almost four-pound Pomeranian

Ace - Seth's German shepherd, a trained K-9

Pastor Pat - Pastor of the Church and Emma's Godfather

Jake Baker - Seth's mentor and Winters' family friend

Ray Hudson - Works at the bakery

Peggy Barton - Emma knew her in high school and is the assistant librarian, she's making a play for Seth

Linda Holton - the town librarian

Mayor Castle - mayor of Beaverton

George Elliot - city council member, from old money, and father of Marc Elliot

Marc Elliot - troubled teenager



Recognized

#11
July
2023


Thank you, Google Images, for an image of tulips. They're Emma's favorite flower.

Chapter 15 is divided into two sections for posting on Fanstory. It would be too long to post in it's entirety. This is the first part of chapter 15. This post is a little under 1600 words long.

The reviews of Chapter 14 were very interesting. Some thought Seth was teasing, and Emma shouldn't have overreacted. Some thought Emma should have slapped him and has forgiven him way too fast. I enjoyed reading them. They've caused me to take another look at the chapter.

I made changes as I posted. I hope I don't need to correct those corrections. Thank you for all your help and suggestions. I appreciate you dropping by and leaving reviews and your support of my writing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.