General Fiction posted June 24, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A tale of multi ethnic families

All In The Family

by nomi338


John Roth was a Junior at the local university and came from a family that had ties to the founding fathers of the town and the university.

Despite his wealth and social standing, John was shy and somewhat standoffish.

From somewhere deep inside himself, he found the nerve to approach the beautiful “Blonde Goddess”, Sally Keith.

To his great surprise and relief, she agreed to go out with him.

After their third date, John was all set to suggest they take their relationship to the next level.

On his way to set up their very next date, he saw Sally hugging an attractive black girl, Shanell Hawkins. John edged closer so as to overhear their conversation.

He was shocked to hear Sally say, “Please tell Aunt Bea I said, thanks for the bracelet, and I will be there for the birthday dinner on Saturday.”

After Shanell left, John cautiously approached Sally and said, “I didn’t know you and that black girl were close.”

Sally said,” Shanell is my cousin.”

John said with some surprise, “Your cousin? You are white, right?”

Frowning, Sally said, “That’s right, but what does that have to do with us being cousins?”

Reacting a bit uncomfortably, John responded, “You are white, and she is black, and I’m not sure I’m okay with dating someone with black relatives!”

With a measure of tiredness, Sally explained that her white uncle was married to Shanell’s black aunt.

She looked into his eyes to make her point clear, “I am not at all okay with dating someone who opposes my having black relatives. Please do not approach me again unless you change your way of thinking.”

Later that evening, John’s mother asked him about his sad face. He related the entire incident and his feelings about the whole situation.

He was not ready for the news his mother revealed. It turned out that at one time the Roth family had owned slaves and one of John’s Great uncles was actually Shanell Hawkins’ Great grandfather.

Shocked beyond measure, John was forced to re-evaluate everything he thought about race relations and their importance in his life.

Unfortunately, John could not regain his footing with Sally, and she moved on to someone with a more moderate attitude about relations with people of other ethnicities.




Recognized

#15
June
2023


It is amazing that there are a large number of African Americans in this country treated as others while they are related to many of the whites who look down on them. If you accept Adam and Eve as our original ancestors, we are all related.
The cover photo is from Istock.com
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. nomi338 All rights reserved.
nomi338 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.