Biographical Non-Fiction posted June 25, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
One woman's search for ...

A life less ordinary

by Wendy G


Sarah Davis was never going to be able to spend her whole life working in a bank, not even in an area she enjoyed – risk management.
 
She was required to evaluate opportunities, embrace positive ones, and maximise their potential. Simultaneously she needed to recognise possible dangers and pitfalls, and develop strategies to minimise damage or overcome negative effects. She had an analytical mind, so this sort of work appealed … but not for a lifetime!
 
She was too restless, wanting more from life, needing more. She loved sport, travel, and adventure. However, this work was shaping her, and it was applied in a unique way to her own life.  
 
Sarah, born in England and living by the sea, loved the beach, loved windsurfing. She was an athletic child, encouraged by her mother to try many different sports as well as other activities. 

Her mother modelled how to be curious, to learn, travel, and never be afraid of trying new things, to do her best, and learn from her mistakes if necessary. Sarah learned to never fear not knowing how to do something. The simple answer was to learn how to do it. She counted these values as her mother’s most precious gift to her.

Needing a change and fresh challenges, she moved to Australia, and obtained dual nationality. She eventually settled in Sydney, and, wanting a meaningful community of like-minded people, she joined the North Bondi Surf Life-Saving Club. The members became her family. Her only problem? She was not used to surfing beaches – and could not surf. How could she save people in trouble in the water?

She had to earn a Bronze Life-Saving Medallion. It was difficult; she was ready to admit defeat – but was encouraged to keep going. “You can do it!” her trainer affirmed.

She did. She participated in some rescues. She finally learnt to use a surfboard, a kayak, and a surf ski. She enjoyed the Surf Club’s fitness competitions – and discovered that her favourite events involved ocean ski-paddling – long-distance events paddling on a surf ski, like a kayak.  It was not long before she was entering and winning international events. 

She loved paddling alone as well, experiencing the ultimate and most beautiful sense of freedom and space as she watched the sun rise over the ocean, while paddling in rhythm with pods of dolphins and whales.

It was still not enough. There had to be more. Still restless, she sensed that her life had a bigger purpose. She read and reflected widely, was drawn to epic adventures, and finally she knew what she wanted: to set herself a challenge never previously achieved by a woman.

She wanted to be a “First”. She contacted other adventurers, including one who had done river-based expeditions throughout Africa, and experienced her light-bulb moment. 

She would paddle the Nile River, through several countries, from its source to the sea. Why the Nile? Africa was her “go-to” country for adventure – and the Nile River was the longest river in the world, more than 6600 kilometres (4100 miles) long. With a buzz of excitement, she immediately knew that this was it! Her dream had begun. 

She loved Africa and its people. She needed to see if her project was viable. She returned to Africa, and tried to envisage how she would organise the logistics. She checked out the Nile River – her feelings were confirmed. Yes, she could and would do this! She planned to start from the river’s source in Rwanda and go through Tanzania, Uganda, and Sudan, right through to Egypt and the Mediterranean Sea.

Back in Australia, she increased her physical fitness with gym strength and endurance training, focussing on developing muscles she would need for long-distance rafting and kayaking. 

Her risk management skills were invaluable. She developed “Action Plans” for various risk areas: illness or injury, wildlife, environmental dangers such as heat and storms, equipment malfunction or loss, political dangers and risk of arrest or being detained unlawfully …. and many other areas. 

She admitted to not being fearless, and set in place strategies to manage her fears.

She took courses in First Aid, in Wilderness Survival, and did Hostile Environment Awareness Training, learnt a form of martial arts, and took a self-defence training course run by the Israeli Defence Force. 

She learned much, researching all her equipment essentials to the last detail, including how to choose the best satellite phone, with the best range and functionality. She was analytical, thoughtful, and sensible. 

Two years of planning, with thorough and detailed preparation. This expedition was her goal, her dream, her purpose. She remembered the trainer’s words when she was ready to admit defeat about earning her Bronze Life-Saving Medallion. “You can do it!” 

Her biggest fears were the white-water rapids and the wildlife, which included crocodiles and hippos. However, she had prepared as well as possible – and would learn and adjust as she went, and would cope with whatever dangers she faced. 

Back in Africa, she assembled a team of locals from the countries she would pass through, and these men would help her navigate the regional politics as well as offer their detailed insights of local cultural issues. These were all Africans with expertise in various areas of river expeditions. Some of them accompanied her for part of the way. 

She engaged a cyber security person to follow her progress; she would check in with him daily. He would have fresh intel on all the countries she was passing through, and would keep her up to date on weather, regional politics, dangers, and advise on restocking her resources. As well, he would be keeping an eye on people secretly watching her on the dark web. He would also be her emotional guide and help with realistic decision-making if necessary – she was aware that sometimes the goal became paramount, and people did reckless things to achieve it. 

October 27, 2018. Sarah was forty-five. The morning she set out from Rwanda was a very emotional one. Everything was tied onto her raft securely. She was ready to go. The locals came out to farewell her and cheer her on. She began paddling, stroke after smooth stroke, on the first leg of her mammoth undertaking.

Six days into her venture she rounded a bend on a relatively narrow part of the river, only fifty to seventy metres wide, and came face to face with a baby hippo. Her first thought was, “Where is its mother?” To her dismay she soon saw the very angry mother hippo on her other side. Caught between mother and baby hippos was not a good place to be. Hippos kill more humans than lions do.

She headed for the riverbank as quickly as possible and dragged everything to a spot on the bank a little further on, past the hippos. Not before the hippo tore a hole in one compartment of her inflatable raft, however!

She messaged her cyber partner – was it too reckless to continue? There would doubtless be other hippos – no-one could easily tell where they might be or how many. Their action plan was simple. Respect them and their habitat; leave the river and walk until she was past the danger. Other such situations arose. 

Further on, the river widened into what seemed like a huge lake. Channels went off in several directions. She was studying her “navigation system” when a tinny approached. The boatman offered to guide her and led her through one of the channels. To her alarm, she was soon approached by a motorboat with armed soldiers, rifles raised and pointing in her direction. 
 
She’d been tricked! She’d been led into Burundi – and she had no visa for Burundi. It was not on her planned route. Political tensions were high. Was she a spy, a foreign journalist? The army checked all her supplies and her documents. They were finally ready to release her – but the police intervened. For several days she was held captive – in a hotel. The British Consulate heard of her situation and contacted her – they were amazed that she had not been harmed or mistreated. Negotiations followed. 

She was finally released and re-directed back to the appropriate waterway. She resumed her journey, noticing every so often the numerous items which had been stolen – tinned foodstuffs that the police were doubtless enjoying, and many other supplies – even toilet paper. That was the purpose of her captivity – they simply wanted to profit from her supplies. 

She navigated the rapids successfully. It sounds easy. It was not. The rapids were “crazy” and very dangerous. 

She continued, day after day. At one point she was hospitalised with food poisoning. At another time, a parasite had to be dug out of her toe. Her hands cracked with the heat.

Despite everything, she was pleased with her experience and savoured each part of her journey through Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, Sudan, (South Sudan was too dangerous, on the brink of civil war), and Egypt.

The trip involved around nine months on the water, more than eleven hundred kilometres of rafting, three thousand kilometres of kayaking, and various other forms of transport – including walking. Everywhere she went, she camped with locals, ate lots of interesting food, and learnt about many amazing cultures, forming strong friendships. 

She was aware of the disparity in their situations. They had no option but to live simply and without comforts. She had chosen to do so. 

The African women had little freedom to choose their activities or lifestyle or pursue any dreams. Survival, and survival of their family, was paramount. Here she was, a white woman, both free and independent, and able to pursue her dream of an epic adventure. 

Women in Africa, like women everywhere, are strong, resilient, and independent, and if given the opportunity can accomplish amazing feats. Australians were offered the chance to partner with Sarah through Care Australia, (a humanitarian aid organisation) and fund-raising became an important part of her expedition which she hoped would inspire women, encouraging them to see what they are capable of!

She also raised awareness of the role and significance of risk management – applicable to all people everywhere. 
The impossible becomes possible when the challenges are broken down into smaller units, and strategies are devised to minimise potential harm and maximise achievement. 

Her own example showed that one can overcome fear and anxiety by planning for what is controllable, and by applying all one’s knowledge and skills base to managing unforeseen events.

Sarah loved the peace and space of paddling the Nile through the Sahara Desert, the feeling of being alone and at one with nature, experiencing the joy of seeing her dream fulfilled. As she approached the Mediterranean Sea, the riverbanks became more densely populated, and she could smell the salty air.

She became very emotional – a mix of relief and a sense of tremendous accomplishment, combined with grief that her journey was finishing. She had learned and put into practice the lessons taught and modelled by her mother. She had achieved a “first”. She was the first woman to paddle the Nile River “from source to sea”.

She had succeeded in living a life less ordinary.



Recognized


There were many different paddlers helping Sarah: highly experienced rafting guides for Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda, local kayakers through Sudan and Egypt, and on stand-by were a few close friends, making up the crisis team in case a situation arose. And it did!
All gear (camping gear, food, water, medical and first aid supplies) was carried with them, and at various points they restocked as needed.
Sarah has written a book: ''Paddle the Nile: one woman's search for a life less ordinary''. She has now set up her own business to fund further expeditions.

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/sarah-davis-paddling-the-nile-and-beyond/102445448 (This is a radio broadcast - an extraordinary interview with Sarah Davis (about 50 minutes long).
https://www.paddlethenile.com/the-expedition
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-19/australian-female-kayaker-first-to-attempt-the-nile-river/8900728
https://www.canoeicf.com/athlete/sarah-davis
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.