General Fiction posted June 8, 2023


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Australia is hot. Even bears seek a haven.

There is a bear in there.

by Barry Penfold


The door slammed, echoing down the long hall. That was not unusual at this time of year. The hot Australian summer required open doors and windows to allow the air to move around with the assistance of large ceiling fans. The afternoon often came with southerly winds which cooled the home and relieved the surrounds.

My work in the kitchen was not disturbed but continued with the dicing of vegetables and carving of a large portion of beef. Ready for the BBQ. The cool of the wind started to infiltrate into the kitchen and proved a welcome stranger. However, there was something not quite usual.

Footsteps, not human, interrupted my preparation. I stood silent. Ears primed to detect the next sound. Nothing. But then, some definite foot shuffles that were heading past the closed kitchen door. What on earth?

Before I could reach the kitchen door, it burst open, my daughter almost colliding with me, yelling,
"Daddy, Daddy, there is a bear in there"
"What a bear. Where. How could a bear get in?
"Its true, come and look, its so true"

I removed my apron and strode to the kitchen door. I reached the hall and looked to the left and right. Nothing.

"Olivia there is nothing there"

No response. Was this one of her games? She was prone to story telling,and this could well be another invention.

I headed to the back door. to the right was the doorway to the study. Not often used of late, but the door was ajar. Unusual.

Slowly, I poked my head inside the room. the half light that lit the area served me with a view of the study desk and the old leather chair. Spookily, and as if on cue, the chair began to turn, no sound, but gradually revealing its passengers. Olivia and without a doubt, a bear. A Koala bear. Hot and bothered but as proud as could be. the chair was like a tree and salvation. Olivia too had a new found friend.

You just never know what comes in with the wind.



The Door Slammed writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story that starts with this sentence: The door slammed, echoing down the long hall.

Don't add to the sentence. The catch is this must be flash fiction. So the story should be between 100 and 1,000 words.

Recognized


Koala bears are totally unique. But like all mammals they seek out relief from the extremes of the climate. Sometimes our homes become their home.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by suzannethompson2 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Barry Penfold All rights reserved.
Barry Penfold has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.