Romance Fiction posted June 4, 2023 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Emma's embarrassed about calling Seth during the night.

A chapter in the book Guided by Faith

Faith Chapter 11 A

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Depend on God in every part of your life, and He will guide, protect, and comfort you. Will God guide Emma's life? If He does, will she listen?
Seth and Emma met 11 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Emma cuddled Molly, lay in bed, and jumped at every sound. Tears streamed down her cheeks. She took her phone and pressed Seth's number.

"Hello."

"Seth?"

"Is everything okay?" She used my first name.

Silence. "It's really dark."

"I'll sleep on your couch."

"No."

"Do you want me to send Ace?"

"No. I'm fine."

"Emma, if you were fine, you wouldn't have called."

"Sorry."

"Don't hang up." Seth hesitated. "Are you in bed?"

"Yes."

"Do you have a phone charger close?" After she answered, he continued, "Plug in your phone, lie down, and cover up. Put the phone on your pillow. I'll be here all night. All you need to do is say something."

"Thank you."

"Goodnight, Emma."

"Goodnight."

Emma fell asleep but tossed and turned. A few hours later she awoke shaking. "Seth?"

"I'm here."

"Thank you."

TODAY'S POST

Chapter 11 A

Tuesday morning, Seth drank coffee and stared out his office front window.

Carl entered holding some files. "Emma hasn't shown up for work?"

Seth glanced at the wall clock. "No. It's after seven-thirty. She's usually there before seven. I know her car's here from last night, but nobody has left to get her." His eyes met his buddy's. "Don't ask how I know any of this."

"Wasn't going to." Carl hesitated as he sat. "When Emma comes in, are you taking her statement?"

Seth nodded. "I'll see how she's doing." He held out his hand for the files. "We'd better get busy."

*****
Almost thirty minutes later, Emma and her mom stood outside the bakery/bookstore as Emma studied the door.

Seth walked over to the window. "If I read this scene, I'd say Emma's afraid to go inside."

Carl followed and said, "I agree."

Exhaling, Seth said, "I'll give her more time. By the end of the day, I need that statement, really before noon." He stared at a file in his hand.

*****
About nine-thirty Seth and Carl entered the bakery/bookstore and stood at their usual table. When Seth's eyes met Emma's, she studied the floor and went toward the back.

Carl asked, "What just happened? Emma's our waitress."

"She's upset over last night," muttered Seth under his breath.

"Besides the robbery attempt, what happened?"

"Nothing."

A waitress, Leslie walked over and took their order.

Keith brought their coffee orders to the table and greeted them before he addressed Seth. "Emma's avoiding you."

"I noticed." Seth watched her take the long way around to another table. "Any idea how I resolve this? I need her statement."

"I meet her head on. Susan takes a softer approach." Grinning, Keith continued, "I doubt you're the softer approach type."

Last night it seemed to work. Maybe I'll combine the two. Seth gulped his coffee. "I'll force her to refill my cup and see where it gets me."

Walking to Emma, who stood at the counter, Seth asked, "Could I get a refill?"

Emma fingered her long braid, faced him, but avoided eye contact as she took the cup. "Yes." She refilled it and handed it back. "About last night..."

"You were upset and reached out for help." When Emma exhaled, Seth continued, "I'm glad I could help." He turned and went toward his table.

Emma followed partway. "I didn't get in early enough to make beignets."

He turned and his eyes met hers. "Not a problem."

"I didn't treat your back last night. I'm sorry about that. How's it feeling?"

"Acceptable."

Emma glanced toward her dad's office. "I could now, if you'd like."

Seth noticed Carl and Keith watching. "Are you sure?" Emma nodded and headed toward the office. Seth followed.

After Emma moved the chair, Seth sat and raised his shirt and T-shirt to his shoulders. "Thank you."

She pushed the shirts a little higher, applied the aloe, and then the gauze. "It's slightly redder than noon yesterday, but not bad. You'll need more aloe this evening."

"I'll make sure that happens."

"Okay. I'll leave while you get ready."

After Seth returned to the table, Keith asked, "Is everything back to normal?"

"Better, but Emma's still guarded."

When Emma walked by the table, Keith said, "Sweetheart, Seth needs your statement. It's slowing down, if you go now, you'll be back before the lunch rush."

She nodded. "I'll just be a minute."

*****
When Seth and Emma entered the police station, Seth led her straight to his office and held her chair. He sat behind his desk and pulled up the statement file on the computer.

While Emma waited, she said, "Seth...I mean Chief Carter...."

"Please. It's Seth.

She nodded. "Seth, I'm sorry about my meltdown last night."

"Don't be. Under similar circumstances most people meltdown at some point."

"I'm sure most people don't call you in the middle of the night."

"Most people don't have my phone number." His eyes met hers. "I don't consider most victims friends. When I check on them the following day, they're often still struggling. You made it into work. You did an excellent job keeping it together during the incident."

"Thank you for being there." She gulped. "I had problems walking through the door this morning."

"But you did."

Emma picked up some wanted posters that had fallen to the floor. She stared at them as tears trickled down her cheeks. "These are the two men."

"They are."

"It says they're dangerous."

"I'm glad we have them locked up. Jake will come by sometime today to talk with them about crimes in Cedarville. You did a good job keeping the robbery from escalating to violence."

"I did nothing." She used her hands to dry her eyes. "I'm sure your presence had a lot to do with it."

Seth faced the computer. "Let's get started." He printed a paper and handed it to her with a pen. "Please fill out the top. I'll type it in later. It's just name, address, and things like that." After she accepted it, he asked, "When did they come in?"

"Close to eight o'clock. Everybody had left except a young couple. When they got up to leave, I cleared their table. As they walked out, I went to lock the door. That guy with the knife shoved the door open. I told him we're closing. He grabbed me and forced me to the counter. The other guy went to the back."

"Your dad usually closes. Where was he?"

"The shop next to us is for sale. Dad and Mom are thinking about extending the bookstore. They went to talk with Mr. Henson, the owner."

"Okay. What happened next?"

"That man asked where we kept the money. I told him we don't. Dad makes deposits at least once and on busy days twice. He doesn't believe in keeping large amounts of cash lying around."

"I understand his thinking." Seth swallowed as his eyes met hers. "Please continue."

"You came in and know everything else."

He cocked his head. "You're right." He fumbled typing, using two fingers: one on each hand.

"I'm a good typist. Would you like help?"

He grinned. "Are you offering?"

"I am."

"If you don't mind?"

As Emma stood, Seth stepped away from the computer and held the chair for her.

Seth's office door burst open, and Ace strutted in. Emma's eyes widened. "Hello, Buddy. I wondered where you were."

"He was working. By his look, he's proud of himself."

An officer peeked in. "Sorry." Seth motioned him to continue, and he did, "Ace found what we expected."

"Good job." Seth roughed up Ace's ears.

The officer left and closed the door.

As Emma typed, she said, "I wonder if Molly could be trained to work."

Chuckling, Seth said, "I have a feeling her purpose in life is to be a cute companion. She excels at that."

Emma removed the paper from the printer. "Want to read over it?"

"I'd better." He read. "Looks good. Thank you. Did you save it?" He handed it to her. "Sign your name at the bottom."

After signing, she said, "I'd better get back. It's getting close to the lunch rush."

"I'll walk you." He paused and lifted the computer monitor. "Under here is where I keep your spare key."

"Thank you." Emma faced the door. "I can walk across the street by myself."

"It'd make me feel important."

"Can Ace come?"

Seth started to put his hand on the small of her back but stopped. "Of course, he likes to feel important too."

After they entered the bakery/bookstore, Emma said, "Just a minute." She got a large coffee to go and handed it to Seth. "I know you're busy."

Grinning, he accepted it. "Thank you, but it wasn't necessary."

"I know." She stared out the front window at Ace waiting. "I need to start bringing in doggie treats."

"You're spoiling him rotten." Seth shook his head as he started out the door but turned. "Don't forget to let me know the number of kids expected tomorrow."

"I'll know after the lunch rush."

"Sounds good." Seth nodded and left.

*****
Character List:

Police Chief Seth Carter - hero and Beaverton's Police Chief

Emma Winters - heroine and waitress at her parents' bakery and bookstore, but just graduated college with a teaching degree.

Carl Jones - Seth's good friend and right-hand man

Susan and Keith Winters - Emma's parents and owners of Winters' Family Bakery and Bookstore

Molly - Emma's almost four-pound Pomeranian

Ace - Seth's German shepherd, a trained K-9

Pastor Pat - Pastor of the Church and Emma's Godfather

Jake Baker - Seth's mentor and Winters' family friend

Ray Hudson - Works at the bakery

Peggy Barton - Emma knew her in high school, she's making a play for Seth



Recognized

#9
June
2023


Thank you, Google Images, for a photo of a witness statement.

Chapter 11 is long again so I broke it up into 2 sections. This is Chapter 11 Part 1. Emma's embarrassed about calling Seth in the middle of the night. Will Seth be understanding?

This post is a little over 1300 words long. Although, I read this every day for two weeks, rewrote a large section yesterday. I hope it works. I'm never happy with my writing. Thank you for all your help and suggestions. I appreciate you dropping by and leaving reviews and your support of my writing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.