General Fiction posted June 4, 2023


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A school election causes stress and strife

Your Vote Counts

by Monica Chaddick


"I voted," my friend Cooper yelled, coming down the hall. I was running for class president and I had pestered all of my friends about voting so much that they were getting sick of me.

"I'm glad. Did you see Tommy or Karen in there?" I questioned.

"No, I didn't see them, I don't know if they voted yet, and I don't know where they are," he replied, anticipating my next questions.

I turned and opened my locker. I grabbed my books for class, and Cooper and I started towards our classroom. We were almost there when I spotted something I didn't care for at all. My competition, Melissa, was standing two doors down, and she was talking with Tommy and Karen. Cooper and I walked up to them.

"Hey guys, what are you talking about over here?" I questioned.

Melissa looked me up and down, like I was a homeless person wiping my snot on her skirt.

"What we are talking about is absolutely none of your business. Why don't you go and practice your loser speech?" she said.

Tommy and Karen should have come to my defense, but they just stood there looking very uncomfortable. Cooper stepped up and told Melissa that since she was talking to our friends, it was our business. We all looked at Tommy and Karen, waiting to see what they had to say. After an uncomfortable pause, Tommy spoke up.

"Guys, it really isn't any of your business what we were talking about."

Cooper looked at Karen, who said that she agreed with Tommy.

"Unbelievable!" Cooper stated. "Come on, Dude, we have class. Let's go."

We walked in our classroom and the teacher began.

At the end of the day, they were supposed to announce the winner of the class presidential election. I was nervous and sweating something fierce. The loudspeaker came on, and I gripped my pencil so tightly that it snapped in half. Cooper started laughing, which made me laugh, also.

The principal began talking, and we quieted down so we could hear the announcements. He began by letting the teacher's know when the next faculty meeting was being held, then he reminded everyone about the fundraiser and the school dance coming up. Finally, he got to the part where he would be announcing the class president. Everyone turned to watch my reaction. I was devastated when he announced Melissa as the winner. To add insult to injury, he added that it had been a close race and that I had only lost by three votes.



I voted writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a flash fiction story beginning with the words "I voted - " You can continue the sentence as you wish. Beyond the opening lines there are no rules. Maximum word count is 500 words.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Monica Chaddick All rights reserved.
Monica Chaddick has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.