Fantasy Science Fiction posted May 21, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Revised Sweet Chaos/A Novel of the Breedline series

Taken/Pt. 1

by scongrove


After breakfast and a relaxing walk in the park, Tessa and Jace headed back to her apartment. Before they exited the vehicle, Jace’s phone went off. The ringtone was Darth Vader’s Theme, famously known as The Imperial March from Star Wars. He just sat there, debating on whether to take the call, staring at his phone as the epic rhythm of trumpets and trombones rang out.

“You need to get that?” Tessa asked. “Going by your ringtone, whoever is calling, they sound important.”

Jace smirked, then looked up from his phone. “It’s the Covenant’s council head, Tim Ross.”

“Maybe you should answer it.”

“Yeah, you’re probably right.” He sighed, then swiped to answer, silencing the menacing ringtone. “Hey, Tim. What’s up?”

Jace’s expression grew serious as he attentively listened to the caller. His brows furrowed and his breathing deepened as though he was in the throes of becoming angry. Whatever was being said on the other end must have been upsetting. After a few minutes, Jace nodded against the phone. “I’m on my way.”

Tessa brought her hand toward the driver’s side and placed it on top of Jace’s thigh. “Is everything okay?”

He faced her with a worried look, then gathered her hand in his. “I’m sorry, Tessa.” He released a heavy sigh. “I gotta go. Tim wants me to attend a meeting. It has something to do with my biological father and my half-brother.”

“Uh, sure,” Tessa muttered, appearing concerned. “It sounds serious. Are you okay? I mean, I know you don’t like talking about your real father, but I’m here if you need someone to talk to.”

“Thanks, babe.” He brought her hand to his lips and kissed it. “That means a lot. How ‘bout I call you later?”

She nodded. “Sure.”

They shared a kiss, then Jace spotted the same black BMW that he’d seen yesterday, except it was parked in the space across from his Jeep instead of behind it.

He pointed toward the vehicle. “Hey, Tessa. Do you know who drives that beamer?” 

She turned to look, then shook her head. “Never seen it before. Why?”

“I noticed it was here yesterday.” He kept his eyes on the sleek sports car, feeling a bit uneasy. “Have you ever had that strange feeling like you were being watched?”

“No, not really.”

“Well, something just doesn’t feel right.” He reached for his door and opened it.

“Where are you going?”

“Sit tight,” he said. “I’m going to go check something out.”

A few minutes later, Jace returned. “The windows are too tinted to tell if anyone is inside, but I got a snapshot of their tag number. I know someone who might be able find out who it’s registered to.”

“I wouldn’t worry too much about it,” Tessa said. “It’s probably just someone’s new car I haven’t noticed.”

“Yeah, maybe. But you never know nowadays. Besides, it’ll give me peace of mind.”

She smiled. “Thanks for looking out for me.”

“Always, babe.” He leaned over and kissed her again. “I’ll talk to you later.”

Tessa got out, then waved as he drove off.

When she heard a car door opening, she turned to look, and was caught by surprise. Out of nowhere, a tall man with long black hair and skin as pale as a corpse’s, stood facing her. He wore a black leather trench coat over a black suit, giving him a Gothic upper-class look. He also had the strangest amber-colored eyes.

She flinched. “Good lord,” she gasped, then placed a hand over her heart. “You nearly scared me to death.”

He smiled, revealing the tips of two sharp teeth. “My apologies.”

“I-I’ve never seen you here before,” Tessa nervously said, staring at his uncanny Vampirish appearance. “Are you here visiting someone?”

He dipped his head. “You.”

“Me?” She shrugged. “I’m sorry…” She swallowed back her nerves. “Do I know you?”

“Not yet.” His smile broadened. “But I plan on changing that.”

She took a few steps back. “Huh?”

“Don’t be afraid. I’m practically family.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’m your mate’s brother,” he said, then retracted his words. “Well actually, half-brother. But still, that counts as family.”

Suddenly, Tessa felt a chill work its way up her spine, recalling what Jace had told her about his half-brother. He’d been born with the genetics of a succubus and a Breedline. And even though his species weren’t considered undead like vampires, still, they shared two things in common. They had the power of mind manipulation and needed blood—Breedline blood—to survive.

 “Y-You’re Sebastian, aren’t you?”

“In the flesh.” He offered her his hand. “It’s nice to meet you, Miss…?”

“Fairchild.” She cautiously took hold of his hand. “Tessa Fairchild.”

With one swift motion, Sebastian gripped her hand and forcefully tugged her close. The sudden jarring movement knocked her purse loose from her shoulder where it dropped to the ground and slid underneath a parked car.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Miss Fairchild.” He inhaled through his nostrils and took in her scent. “You. Smell. Spectacular.”   

Then, as expected, she struggled against his hold. When she opened her mouth to scream, it only took one sharp fist to the head to silence her. The moment she went limp, he held her steady, then lifted her into his arms and carried her to his car. Quickly, he popped open the beamer’s trunk and carefully placed her inside. Before he closed it, he smiled down at her. “I have someone very special who wants to…” He paused with a cruel smile. “…taste you.” 

To be continued. . .

Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. I'm rewriting my first book, Sweet Chaos, and I'd appreciate your feedback. If you are interested in reading previous chapters, go to my profile and look up Revised Sweet Chaos/A Novel of the Breedline series. I hope you enjoy and have a blessed day! 

 

 

 





A reference for terms and cast of characters for this chapter, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A secret species of humans created to protect humanity. Born with an identical twin, they have the power to shapeshift into wolves. They are not like the old legend of the lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. In wolf form, they have superstrength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines, born with an identical twin, shift into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedline twins do not go through the change until they make love to their bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - They have the power to shapeshift into wolves, born with a strong, unbreakable bond. They share telepathic abilities with the power to sense their twin's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins is so strong they cannot live without the other.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends his life searching for their bonded mate. When two Breedline species experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. The bond is for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their life span.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins' bond with the same female.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

Jace Chamberlain - He is a Breedline species who is an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos. He has bonded with Tessa Fairchild.

Jem Chamberlain - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Tessa Fairchild - An inspiring artist who has no idea about the Breedline species. She was raised by her aunt and uncle when her parents disappeared when she was a baby. For years, she's had mysterious dreams of a black wolf, and now, she has started to include them in her paintings. After she meets Jace Chamberlain, she has an overwhelming connection with him that she cannot explain.

Sebastian Crow - He was born with the genetics of a Breedline and a succubus. He is Jace and Jem's half-brother.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.