Romance Fiction posted May 7, 2023 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Seth rescues Emma from a scary movie.

A chapter in the book Guided by Faith

Faith Chapter 8 B

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Depend on God in every part of your life, and He will guide, protect, and comfort you. Will God guide Emma's life? If He does, will she listen?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"Sorry." Keith pointed to Emma. "She's our beignet maker. When she's not there, they don't get made. There's plenty. Help yourself to the others. I brought an assortment."

Staring at her, Seth said, "Thank you, but you don't need to make them just for me."

With pink cheeks, she got up and went inside. "Excuse me."

Keith shook his head. "What just happened?"



TODAY'S POST

Chapter 8 B

Jake exhaled. "My opinion, young love working its way through life's obstacles."

Pastor Pat and Carl said in unison, "Amen."

"This should be fun," added Keith. "Especially since Seth's stingy with words, and Emma wears her emotions on her sleeve."

Swallowing the sandwich bite, he'd just taken, Seth said, "I can hear you and don't know what you're talking about."

With raised eyebrows Jake said, "If you believe that, I have ocean front property for sale in the Chihuahua Desert."

The men chuckled.

After some time passed, Keith said, "Before I return to the bakery, maybe I should check on my daughter." He glanced at the remaining food. "I'll leave this for snacks."

Seth grabbed a sandwich and walked to the door. "I'll go." When he entered the house, he saw Emma sitting on the couch hugging her knees. "I thought you might be hungry." He held out a sandwich. "I brought this."

Emma accepted it. "Thank you." She took a bite, chewed, swallowed, and then said, "I messed up, didn't I?"

"How? By making beignets?"

"I didn't think how it would be perceived. I was trying to be nice."

"Understood. Thank you for doing it." He scanned the room. "If my cement maker wants to remain in this nice, air-conditioned room, it's okay. It's getting hotter."

She stood. "I promised I'd help. That was our deal. I'll do my part."

"I won't hold you to it. I have plenty of help."

Walking to the door, Emma said, "Let's do this."

Seth opened the door for her and announced, "Ms. Winters needed some time out of the heat."

She faced him and mouthed, "Thank you," before saying goodbye to her dad.

*****
Early evening all seventeen poles were set in cement and two side frames, each 12 feet long by 9 feet high, had been made, but not put in place. Seth wanted the cement to set for another day. He removed his cap and ran his fingers through his short hair. "Let's get things picked up and call it a day. Thank you for the help. We got a lot more done than I expected."

Jake asked, "Do you want the frames in the garage?"

"Good idea." Seth pointed to the wheelbarrow. "Who's willing to clean this?"

Emma raised her hand. "I will."

Carl stood beside her and put his arm around her shoulders. "I'll help." He grinned. "We wouldn't want another water accident, would we?"

Seth glared at him and then grabbed the side of a frame. "Jake, help me put this inside."

Soon the area was picked up, and the men headed home. Before Seth left, his eyes met Emma's. "Thank you." He hesitated. "Is everything okay? You seem quiet."

"Just tired. I'm going to space out with a movie and have an early night."

"If you need anything, let me know."

"I will. Thank you." She petted Ace. "And thank you for keeping Molly under control."

Ace licked her hand.

*****
Seth finished dinner and stared out the back window toward Emma's cabin, as he did the dishes. I need to remind her to close the curtains. He removed his phone. "Today's probably not the day to do it. She's had a hard day." He returned the phone to his pocket. "What she doing?" He studied her. "She's curled up in a blanket. She covered her eyes. She's scared. Why?"

Seth grabbed his Sig Sauer P226. "Come on, Ace. She may be in danger."

He crept toward her cabin, motioned for his dog to follow him to the back of the house, and attempted to peek through the window. I can't see who's with her.

Moving closer to the door, he hesitated.

"No!" screamed Emma.

Seth entered, gun readied, and yelled. "Hands up!"

She raised her hands as tears streamed down her cheeks.

Scanning the room, Seth said, "Who's here?"

"Me and Molly."

He checked the bedroom and the bathroom. "Are you sure?"

She nodded. "Yes."

"Why'd you scream?"

Emma pointed at the TV. "I'm watching a scary movie."

Glancing at the TV, he muttered, "You've got to be kidding."

"What's going on?" she asked and paused the TV.

"I made a complete fool of myself."

"Care to explain?"

"No." Seth placed his gun in the back of his jean's waistband. "But I owe you one." He pointed at the front window. "I was looking out the window and you looked frightened. I thought somebody had broken in. You screamed."

"You came to my rescue?"

"Yes."

"Thank you for rescuing me."

"From a scary movie." He paused. "If they scare you, why do you watch them?"

"I heard some people talking about it at the bakery. They made it sound really good, so I made popcorn and tried it."

Seth glanced at the bowl. "It looks like the popcorn hasn't been touched."

"I was too scared to eat." Emma moved the blanket aside. "Since you're here, care to join me?"

"Can we watch it from the beginning?"

"Maybe. I'll see if it'll scroll back that far."

After Emma restarted the movie, she moved the popcorn so it was between them.

Seth chuckled. "Nothing scary has happened. You're already clutching the blanket."

"Have I mentioned I don't do scary?"

Shaking his head, he said, "I've figured it out."

As warning music played, the heroine left her secure bedroom and stumbled around in the dark searching for an elusive noise. Emma grabbed Seth's arm and hugged it.

He glanced at her. "You okay?"

"Yes."

"Sure?" He moved his arm and put it around her. "Better?"

She leaned her head against his chest. "Is this okay?"

"I'm okay if you are. Nobody else gets a vote."

She nodded.

After numerous times hiding her eyes against Seth's chest, the movie ended. Emma swallowed. "Thank you for putting up with me. I don't think I'll try another scary movie."

Seth grinned. "Probably a good idea. I'd better get home."

"Thank you, again."

Noticing the lack of twinkle in Emma's eyes as she scanned the room, Seth said, "I'll leave Ace. I think Molly could use a friend. Before church you can send him home."

"Molly would appreciate it."

"I thought she would." Seth walked over and closed the curtains. "I'll lock the back doors. Be sure to lock the front door. I'll see you at church."

As Seth left, he noticed the Crown Victoria parked on the road. He phoned his office and ordered a patrol to drive by.


Emma needed some scary music so,
Thank you YouTube for 'Horror Theme'






*****
Character List:

Police Chief Seth Carter - hero and Beaverton's Police Chief

Emma Winters - heroine and waitress at her parents' bakery and bookstore, but just graduated college with a teaching degree.

Carl Jones - Seth's good friend and right-hand man

Susan and Keith Winters - Emma's parents and owners of Winters' Family Bakery and Bookstore

Molly - Emma's almost four-pound Pomeranian

Ace - Seth's German shepherd, a trained K-9

Pastor Pat - Pastor of the Church and Emma's Godfather

Jake Baker - Seth's mentor and Winters' family friend

Ray Hudson - Works at the bakery

Peggy Barton - High School friend, has her eyes on Seth











Recognized

#6
May
2023


Thank you, Google Images, for a photo of a woman watching a scary movie. I know this may be hard for some of you to understand. I do understand it because I can't watch a scary movie. Many of you remember Dean Kuch. I couldn't read his posts late in the day because I'd have nightmares. He used to tease me about that. I also can't watch movies with a lot of violence. My husband has had me grab his arm and hide my face many times. Yes, I am a wimp.

Thank you for the well wishes and prayers for my husband's knee surgery. He's slowly improving, but not as fast as he'd like to.

This is the second part of Chapter 8. I like to slowly build relationships. Can't hurry a good thing. Seth was embarrassed about rescuing Emma from a scary movie. I do think it brings them closer together. Also, Seth and Emma are not on a first name bases at this point. It's their attempt to deny the budding relationship. Hint, it doesn't work. In a couple days, they will go to first names, but Emma is hesitant.

This post is a little under 1100 words long. Of course, as usual I made changes as I posted. I never can get it exactly right. Thank you for all your help and suggestions. I appreciate you dropping by and leaving reviews and your support of my writing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.