War and History Poetry posted April 25, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Suite of 5-7-5 plus a reflection.

We Honour Their Spirit

by LisaMay

 
Respectful silence –
Thoughts of war and sacrifice
Still sadly present

ANZAC Day tribute
As dawn overcomes dark night
Honour their spirit

All brothers in arms
They came from farthest places
And stood for freedom

Shoulder to shoulder
Against forces of evil –
Lasting legacy

 
 
Reflection:
 
Today, 25th April, is a special day in Australia and New Zealand, similar to Memorial Day in USA. Here we call it ANZAC Day, to commemorate the sacrifice in the First World War by the military forces of the Australian New Zealand Army Corps. This poem is in honour of our brave service personnel in all fields of conflict in which they have served.

As a side story, today I got chatting to a young German visitor to my city, Dunedin, in southern New Zealand. He was travelling by himself and I offered to show him some of our beaches and wildlife – the albatross colony and the sea lions. I explained to him why the streets were quiet and the shops were closed, due to it being a public holiday commemorating our war dead. Germany was our enemy in both world wars – it seemed such a nice thing to do today to enjoy friendship together in freedom.
 



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.