Biographical Non-Fiction posted April 24, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
I can and I will

A Fair Go

by Wendy G


She was the youngest of ten children, born in 1985, into a family of jockeys and horse trainers. When she was just six months old, her mother, Mary, died in a car accident. What would become of all these young children? Her father, Paddy, could hardly be expected to raise them on his own – but he did. He chose to care for them all, including her brother with Down’s Syndrome.

The family lived on a farming property outside Ballarat, a country town in Victoria, Australia. He had an excellent work ethic and strong family values, which he instilled in his ten children, as well as the importance of working together as a team. He taught them to be strong and resilient, and to never give up.

Who was this little girl? Her name was Michelle Payne, and at seven years old she declared that she would one day be a jockey – and win that most prestigious horse race in the Southern Hemisphere, the Melbourne Cup.

That was her dream. Totally unrealistic. There were very few female jockeys. Even fewer who won any races. Still fewer who even rode in elite Group 1 races.

How could this young girl possibly succeed? In the male dominated atmosphere of the horse-racing world, it was unlikely that she would ever even have the opportunity. What owner would risk losing a big event, status, and significant prize money because he had been foolish enough to trust a slip of a girl on a valuable animal?

No-one realized the extent of Michelle’s determination. She entered the racing industry in 2000, at age fifteen, becoming an apprentice jockey, following in the footsteps of eight of her nine siblings. Her first win was in her hometown of Ballarat, on a horse trained by her father.

However, she had a major fall in 2004 at Sandown Racecourse in Melbourne, fracturing her skull and bruising her brain. She had no short-term memory for two months. Her recovery was prolonged, and she defied doctors’ orders by resuming her riding career as quickly as possible, which resulted in another fall, fracturing her wrist. She had to get an extension of three months on the allocated apprenticeship contract time to allow her to complete it.

Yet, she was determined to not relinquish her dream. She pressed on, working hard from early morning till darkness fell, for year after year. It took a lot of courage and resilience.

In 2009 she won her first Group 1 race, the highest level, and the iconic Australian horse trainer Bart Cummings saw her potential. He offered her a horse to ride in the Caulfield Cup later that week, becoming only the third female jockey to ride at Caulfield. She was unsuccessful, but not defeated.

Later in 2009, she rode impressively, but again unsuccessfully, in the Melbourne Cup. She had at least succeeded in getting that far, an achievement in itself. However, she would not be satisfied with “nearly”.

In 2010 she won the Caulfield Cup, the first step towards her ultimate dream.

Her career had begun, but there were no accolades from the racing world, and the only encouragement was from within her own family.

Bureaucracy continued to put many hurdles in her way regarding further participation in racing events. To cut a long story short, a female jockey was not welcome, and they did their best to freeze her out. She later said: “It’s such a chauvinistic sport, a lot of the owners wanted to kick me out. People think women are not strong enough … but it’s not all about strength.” 

Perhaps it’s more about strength of mind … and perseverance with courage.

Michelle was particularly close to her brother, Stevie, the one with Down’s Syndrome; he was her strapper; caring for the horses – grooming and saddling them was a job he did with kindness and care, proud to be working with his little sister.

Three years later, in 2012, she met a special three-year-old gelding named “Prince of Penzance”, bought by its owner for $50 000. That's pocket money in the racing world. Michelle bonded well with Prince and became his regular jockey. Her attitude was that the horse-jockey relationship was paramount, based on mutual respect, love, and trust. All her time, energy and strength focussed on Prince. Another three years, and he was ready.

Prince was an unlikely qualifier for the 2015 Melbourne Cup, “the race that stops a nation”; the odds were 100-1 against a win. After all, he had a female jockey! Despite drawing Barrier 1, they started poorly.

However, Michelle knew how to bring out his best. Their relationship was such that he wanted to please her, and with a sudden spurt of energy towards the end of the two-mile race, he flew past the other horses in the last two hundred metres, winning by half a length. The racing world was stunned.

Stevie was the first to meet her at the barrier after the race, and proudly led her, with Prince of Penzance, to the winner’s circle. Her dream was fulfilled. So was Stevie’s.

At the presentation, prepared speeches by the Governor-General and other dignitaries made no mention of the historic nature of Michelle’s win – it had been so unexpected. They were caught out, and did not, or perhaps could not, adapt their words of congratulations.

Her speech, on the other hand, was straightforward, off-the-cuff, to the point – and very Australian. She told waiting media: “… I want to say to everyone else: Get stuffed, because women can do anything, and we can beat the world.”

Probably too frank and impolite, but she’d suffered a lot of humiliation, prejudice, and nastiness in the racing world. She had overcome many significant injuries over the years, and she’d been raised to be tough and strong, and to tell it like it is.

 She had a point to make. Her message was to all – give female jockeys a fair go. The wider application is obvious. Give females a fair go. In fact, give everyone a fair go.

At thirty years old, twenty-three years after announcing her life goal, she achieved it.

She hopes her story will be an inspiration to all girls everywhere to persevere with the pursuit of their dreams, to overcome all difficulties, whether physical, emotional, or bureaucratic hurdles, and to not allow themselves to be pushed aside.

Michelle Payne is the first and only female jockey to win the Southern Hemisphere’s most prestigious horse race in its more than 160-year history. Her story is inspiring and uplifting for all of us – determination and perseverance are the keys.

“There are great people in life who give you inspiration to keep going and get through the hard times. I have been blessed to have such role models in my life. It would be a privilege if achieving my dream could inspire the next generation.” — Michelle Payne




Recognized


1. Her book ''Life as I know it'' is an inspirational autobiography of hope and motivation. It explores her uplifting journey of courage on the way to becoming the first female jockey to win ''the race that stops the nation''. It is a tale of the underdog and an inspiring message of resilience and courage for anyone who believes in triumphing over adversity and beating the odds.
2. If you want to see a beautiful Aussie movie about her journey from childhood to winning the Cup, watch ''Ride like a Girl''. Her brother Stevie plays himself in the film, and does an excellent job, very moving.
3. Update: In May 2016, Payne suffered severe abdominal injuries in a race fall at Mildura. She underwent urgent surgery for a torn pancreas, with surgeons saving the organ. Otherwise, she would have become a diabetic. She returned to racing in September 2016, though noted that her future goals included a move from being a jockey to becoming a trainer.
4. Awards: In October 2016, she was awarded the Don Award at the Sport Australia Hall of Fame awards. The Don Award is ''awarded to a sportsperson who, through their achievements and example over the last 12 months, is considered to have most inspired the nation''. In May 2017, Payne received international recognition when awarded the Longines Ladies Award in Washington, U.S.A. The award paid tribute to "distinguished women whose careers have shown a positive influence and exceptional commitment to the equine cause".
5. Eight of the ten siblings became either jockeys or trainers.

https://michellejpayne.com.au/story/the-book/
https://www.vic.gov.au/michelle-payne
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle Payne#Early life
https://www.globetrotting.com.au/michelle-payne-the-first-female-jockey-to-win-the-melbourne-cup/
https://michellejpayne.com.au/nine-things-need-know-michelle-payne/
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.