General Fiction posted March 23, 2023 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
2,550 words. The final chapter.

A chapter in the book Describing Jesus

Sean's Campsite - A Challenge

by papa55mike




Background
Religious persecution begins at an early age. It creeps into our classrooms through parents who have chosen not to believe there is a God and teach their children those beliefs.

Part~7 Sean's Campsite 

The setting sun through the trees shines directly on Sean's tent, but he's sitting by the fire, and there's plenty of firewood for the coming night if he needs it. 

His mind drifts back home. 

I wonder what Mom is doing right now? Aunt Mary has probably cooked supper for themselves. Manwich on buns with some mac and cheese sure sounds good. A camp meal of spaghetti in a bag will have to do. All I have to do is boil it and put it on a plate. I need to get ready for these kinds of meals from now on. 

There's a good for Sean to pick the closed Boy Scout Summer Camp to run away to. It has everything he needs - wood for the fire, bathrooms, showers, and food in the cafeteria. Sean spent the last three summers learning everything about this place, including where the keys are to open up everything.

Sean has followed all of the rules in setting up his campsite. The fire is in the pit, and the tent is more than six feet away from the flames. The only food Sean has is what's cooking, except for the cereal bars in his backpack. That should keep the animals away. He wonders what Dad would think about his campsite.

The pangs of loss begin to drift through Sean again. It always starts in the belly, then permeates his entire body. He begins to shake with grief, and the thoughts of his Mom missing him fill his mind. Sean says, "I'm so tired of tears. Why can't they leave me alone?" He wipes his eyes violently.

Sean slowly pulls the bag of spaghetti from the boiling water with the tongs he got from the cafeteria and lays it on the plate. He cuts the top of the plastic with his pocket knife, then dumps the meal onto a plate.

After tasting his supper, Sean says, "It needs a little salt."

~

Nothing is cooking at the Noble house. Diane, Mary, and Bob are sitting at the kitchen table, nursing the last bit of coffee for the day. They won't sleep tonight.

Bob shakes his head and says, "Don't worry, Diane. We'll find Sean tomorrow. I still don't know where we went wrong, though."

Mary wraps her hand around his and replies, "You did your best, Bob. Please stop being so hard on yourself."

"I do put too much on my shoulders, sometimes. But people expect results from their Sheriff."

Diane says, "He's close by, Bob. I can feel him. The Lord will protect Sean through the night. We need to have strong faith to get us through. I'm glad you're here, Bob. We don't see you much anymore."

"I know. We were great friends for so long. It's a shame to see good people lost so early in life while these Meth cookers in Carroll County destroy lives daily. Why doesn't God take them instead?"

Mary answers, "You have no idea how often I asked the "why" question. When David left me for a woman born the year we were married, questions exploded in my mind. But no answers came, and I expected God to answer at least one." 

That brought a smile to all their faces.

Suddenly Bob's phone rang, its John Morris. "What's up, John?"

"I found Sean."

"Where's he at?" Bob asks with a sigh of relief.

"He must have doubled back when he hit the woods and went east. From here, I'd say he has a good spot at the closed Boy Scout camp."

"I told you he was a smart one, John. Please wait for me. I should be there in ten minutes." Bob turns to Mary and Diane. "You were right, Diane. Sean's at the Scout camp on Highway 79."

Diane looks up and says, "Thank you, Lord, for finding my boy."

Mary wipes the tears from her eyes and exclaims, "Well, God answered one of my questions."

"We'll start calling everybody Bob," Diane smiles. "This is one rumor I'll be glad to share."

Captain Gray kills his lights, pulls into the entrance, stops his cruiser behind John's, and then slides out. 

"Sean hasn't seen us, Bob. He must have his back turned to the road. Do you want me to go with you?"

"No, I want to talk to him alone. Why don't you go home and get some rest? You've been going for eighteen hours, and I appreciate you giving your all today."

"Thanks, Bob. I think I will sleep now that Sean is at home."

Captain Gray starts the long walk in the dark, wondering how to approach Sean. He knows that Sean is still hurting from the recent events. Which pain do you talk about first?

He sees Sean staring at the stars with puzzled eyes. The fire is slowly dying, but the streetlight gives enough light. "I think your fire is going out, Sean."

Startled out of his thoughts, Sean jumps up and sees Captain Gray. He calms a little, then says, "I was going to let it die for the night. I see you finally found me."

"Yeah, you led us on a merry chase," Captain Gray sits beside Sean. "You should have seen us hitting the woods this morning. I couldn't believe all the teachers and coaches tramping through the woods looking for you, including your teacher, Miss Carol. Miss Crystal led the group to the Sheriff's office, then worked with me at the base camp until dark."

"They all did that to find me?"

"Most people don't see a teacher's love for every student, including me. I've learned several lessons today: one is that a ten-year-old can outsmart an entire sheriff's department, and the other is your Mom's love for you."

"I didn't mean to hurt, Mom. But I couldn't let them send me away."

"Your Mom and Miss Crystal will not let that happen."

"But what about Mr. Wiley and Dr. Phillips?"

"All I can say is that tomorrow night's school board meeting will be a doozy," Bob smiles a little. "Your Dad was a good friend, but I was always jealous."

"Why?"

"Because I wish I had a boy like you. You were so lucky to have your Father, even briefly. He talked about you constantly and was so proud of you. Have you cried for your Dad, Sean?"

"Too many times. That's what started all of this. I was crying on my bed when Jesus visited me. Do you believe that He came to my room?"

"I've seen too much of the ugly side of life to even think about God, but I believe you, and I'm glad He did."

"You're the first, Captain Gray."

"Please, call me Bob from now on. It broke my heart when I heard your Father passed away."  

"Mine, too."

"Here's my card, Sean. Please put my cell number in your phone and call anytime. I may not be able to answer right then, but I will call you back."

Sean asks, "Promise?"

"I promise. How would you like to sleep in your warm, comfortable bed tonight? Besides, I think your Mom would like to hug the stuffing out of you."

"It would be better than sleeping on that lumpy ground."

"Great, you get some water and put out that fire while I get my cruiser."

"Yes, sir. Bob, thank you for finding me."

"It was my pleasure, Sean."

The headlights from Captain Gray's cruiser flash across the Country Blue single-family home that belongs to the Nobles. Suddenly the oak front door opens, and Diane and Mary run towards the car.

Sean jumps out and straight into his Mom's arms, and she showers his cheeks with kisses and tears of joy. Sobbing, Mary wraps her arms around them, and they fall to their knees in the grass.

Bob wipes a tear from the corner of his left eye, then turns to open the door of his cruiser. 

Mary screams, "Don't you move a muscle, Bob Gray!" She slowly rises and walks over to him. "Bend down a little." Mary wraps her arms around his neck and kisses his left cheek three times, with one on the lips for good measure. "Thank you, sweetie. It was a pleasure seeing you again, and I hope to see more of you."

"That sounds great to me, Mary."

Diane and Sean walk over to them, and Bob asks, "Do you still have my number, Sean?"

"Yes, sir. I'll put in my phone tonight."

"Don't hesitate to call."

"I won't. Thanks, Bob," Sean extends his hand, and Bob gladly shakes it.

Diane speaks up, "I can't thank you enough, Bob. You brought my son home." 

"It was my pleasure, Diane. It reminds me of how close I was to you and Doug a few years ago."

"Why does it always come back to Doug and his love for all of us?" Diane shakes her head, saying, "I guess that will never die."

Bob asks, "Are you three coming to the meeting tomorrow night to support Crystal."

"Oh," Diane smiles. "We'll be there."

Part~8 A Challenge issued

Thursday, March 18th. Nobody in Lavina could have expected this meeting would bring so much chaos to their tiny town. It started right after school was dismissed at 2:45. People from neighboring cities began to gather, and it was astounding how the battle lines formed.

On one side of the sidewalk were the parents who wanted God out of our schools. They were carrying signs saying, Take God Out of Our Schools, Ban The Commandments, claiming Christianity is a myth and too much of a burden for our children to bare. In a rage, they're shouting obscenities across the sidewalk.

On the other side, Christians from many local denominations hold Bibles while shaking crosses at the enemy. Some carry signs reading, Turn or Burn Sinner, Go Back to Babylon, and screaming hateful curses back at them and telling those sinners how they will burn in Hell, forever!

Both sides are shining examples for our children.

Thanks to the Jackson Sun and WBBJ Channel 7 for picking up on this local story and showing pictures of Sean Noble everywhere; it took four Sheriffs to get Diane, Sean, and Miss Mary in the building through the protesters.

Once inside the building, Sean asks his Mother, "Did I cause all of that?"

"No, sweetie, that's just people being idiots!"

Most county seats in Tennessee, where they hold meetings, are beautiful old, Gothic buildings from a bygone era. But not Lavina. They have a yellow sheet metal building, usually Clyde's Auction House. Clyde's podium has been replaced with one from the school system, and two folding tables with three chairs hold the School Board. The other folding chairs are filled to the back with local citizens. Nobody in Lavina was missing this meeting.

President Frederickson stood when the protesters entered the building and exclaimed, "We will not have this meeting turned into a circus. If you utter one word, I'll have Captain Gray and his deputies toss you out the door! Is that understood?"

His statement is answered with meek nods from both sides, and they are forced to stand along the walls.

It's been a challenging meeting so far. Principal Wiley had already given his statement and was soundly booed when he finished. They're currently discussing Miss Crystal's report. She concludes her statement by saying, "It all comes down to this. We were so busy protecting our students that we forgot Sean Noble had rights also. Thank you." Crystal returns to her seat beside Diane and Sean in the front row. 

School Superintendent Fredrickson says, "Thank you for your report and statement, Miss Crystal. Your passion for the children is commendable, and I want to talk to you after the meeting." He glances around the room and asks, "Is there any other voice to be heard on this matter?"

Diane bites her lip but still raises her hand.

Mr. Fredrickson smiles, then says, "You have the floor, Mrs. Noble."

"Thank you," Diane slowly rises but turns to the crowd. "I want Mr. Wiley to know that I forgive him for his decision against Sean and see that he was only watching out for the other students. But he saw Sean as the problem instead of helping a hurting young man.

"This is a difficult time for our county. Persecution and bigotry begin with a thought that slowly weaves itself throughout our being to form an evil cancer of the soul. We see someone different and immediately slap a label on that person. In Sean's case, it's 'Christian.' That label is all we care about - no one sees the heart or thoughts that exist inside or the love they have for others.

"Many states have taken God out of our schools, and most people don't have the Lord in their homes. It seems that every corner of public life has forgotten He exists. When we turn our backs on the goodness of God, it opens the door for evil to spread hatred for the church, the Bible, and Christians. 

"The same bigotry came alive in Germany when Hitler took power in the 1930s, and his hatred for the Jews quickly spread throughout the people. I'm not saying anyone in this room is a Hitler in the making, but that idea began with a simple thought. I will pray for each person in this room tonight, and I hope the Lord fills you with His glorious love.

"But the child we need to pray for is the next victim and the next. For it says in the Bible that with much evil, the love of many will wax cold, and hating Christians will become a part of life," Diane turns back to the school board. "Thankfully, we're not there yet, and it's up to this school board to see that it doesn't happen here. Thank you for your time." Diane slowly turns to Sean and Mary. "It's time to go home." They slowly make their way through the crowd in total silence.

~

The next day, word spread quickly that the board fired Dr. Phillips, and Mr. Wiley was given a leave of absence until he could finish sensitivity training. Then, they would discuss his role in the school system.

Superintendent Fredrickson begged Miss Crystal to return to her job, to which she agreed. Everything seemed to be getting back to something called normal. 

That evening, Bob Gray's pickup truck pulls into the driveway of the Noble home. The family had invited him for supper. He slowly gets out, wondering why he had taken the night off. That's when three smiling faces greet him, and Bob finally sees the family missing from his life.

Mary throws her arms around his neck and gives him a peck on the cheek, and he hands her a bottle of wine. Mary exclaims, "Oh, you brought wine. How romantic!" Her smiling face beams.

"I didn't know what we were having, so I brought a Sangria."

"We're ordering pizza to welcome Sean back home." Diane laughs a little. 

A twinge of sadness envelops Bob when he sees the joy that Doug came home to every day. He missed his dear friend.

Mary turns and asks, "You okay?"

"Yes, ma'am, never better."





A big thanks to Linda Bickston for letting me use her beautiful portraits of Jesus.

Many thanks to all who stopped by to read and for all the help with this story!
Have a great day, and God bless.
mike
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Linda Bickston at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.