Romance Fiction posted March 6, 2023 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Must not let him feel guilty

A chapter in the book DARK NIGHT AND DARK DAY

Dark Night & Day, Chapter 6

by Alaskastory




Background
In January, Marjorie arrives in Alaska to escape getting married to a man she learns is gay. She takes a new medical job. Meets handsome man, Roger, who introduces her to friends. Julie becomes a war
Driving away from the ice pond, Marjorie's thoughts gripped on how Roger was completely at ease, even after his tease about dating. How did this man with twinkling eyes stay calm and appear relaxed when he knew he had upset her?

In the apartment, her wondering thoughts continued to center on a man known only three days. Getting out of winter clothes and into comfortable jammies she decided that nothing yet made her dislike him. He was handsome, strongly confident, and friendly with her and others in a warm way. Yet, she strongly felt she must resist being attracted to him.

After betrayal by her fiance Henry, and her best friend Eddie, there was no way she could be wooed by another man. That night she decided to avoid seeing Roger Hendricks again. That would make her no-dating vow easier to keep this year while being in Alaska. Her brother, James, had suggested it as a perfect escape.

Monday morning her full attention centered on the clinic. Mastering a new routine captured all her thoughts and energy. Staff people welcomed her in a friendly way. She felt thrilled to be involved at giving support and treatment to people who mostly lived in far-away villages. Many patients spoke English as a second language and had native accents. All through the week her daily workload was both inspiring and exhausting.

By Friday evening she melted into bed early. Then the phone rang. Instantly she bolted to her feet, hearing a voice that had been close to heart since childhood.

"Hey, Marj. Your mom gave me your number. She knows we're best of friends."

"Eddie Frank! I can't believe you have the nerve to call me after...."

"After I broke your heart? I thought it would be much better for you to know the truth about Henry before you marry him. Not that he doesn't love you."

"It's you he loves, Eddie. You were hug-dancing with him....."

"Yeah. But you know what? Henry loves you too, Marj. You know, he really is bi-sexual."

Marjorie collapsed on the sofa, gripping a pillow. "Eddie, is that why you called?"

"Stay my friend, Marj. I don't want to lose you. Forgive me, Marj. And Henry too. Be our friends."

"Oh, Eddie. How can I do that?"

Shaky fingers clicked the phone off. Feeling stunned, a vision of Eddie's sweet face swept over her. It was a shocking call from her most treasured friend. In her heart she knew he warmly cared for her.

Through a sleepless night, her image vision shifted to Henry Wilburn, a man she had thought was the love of her life. She saw his striking physique as he strolled hospital corridors ordering treatments in ways that made patients lift hands in applause for a doctor trusted and admired. All nurses watched at him with adoring eyes, and so did she. It took almost a year to get him to notice her. Then a marriage proposal came surprisingly soon. Family and friends all knew she was over-joyed, especially Eddie. He had been the first she told.

In the morning, between cups of strong coffee, Marjorie dialed Julie Granger. She gave a full rundown of Eddie's call and pleaded for advice.

"That Eddie seems to know you so well. He figures you will forgive your ex-fiance."

"I know, but how could I ever find the right words. I can't imagine talking to Henry." Marjorie slumped over the kitchen counter.

"Then don't try to talk to him. Write. A thoughtful card may do the trick."

Eyes brightened. "Julie, that's a wonderful idea. I think I might do that."

Julie then offered to pick her up in the next morning for a Sunday service. "I want you to see my church. It's a treasured building, a tourist attraction."

"Sounds appropriate."

After that call, Marjorie anxiously ventured into a plan that may ease her. She needed to settle with Dr. Henry Wilburn and help him not feel guilt.

Saturday morning was as dark as night and way below zero. In haste, she dressed warmly and headed to her car. At the Fred Meyer store, she chose a card and selected groceries. Before returning home, she took a leisure drive through the old downtown area. Bright streetlights and strings of Christmas lights still adorned buildings. A few outside walls were painted with beautiful art scenes. Beside the large, frozen Chena River was a park that held an impressive statue. Marjorie slipped into a street parking spot and got out with her camera. She snapped photos at the large pioneer style statue, the bridge above the ice-covered river, a small church across the way, and then a wall painted with flowers.

Back at the apartment, her determination took over. In haste she settled down with the card and a pen and began to write:
"Dear Henry, please know I appreciate knowing you and our times together. I do care for you, but with all that happened, I need to be away. Please do not try to call me. I assure you Eddie is a longtime friend of mine. A fine man. He is a truly good companion for you, so please don't feel any guilt. I wish you both a joyful life together."

Marjorie hastily sealed the envelope then searched Henry's address in her cellphone. Once it was addressed and stamped, she hurried to the mail drop on the bottom floor. She took in a deep breath. A smile fell across her face as the letter tumbled in. A sense of relief had come.

With energy she avoided the elevator and chose three flights of stairs. From her living room window, she gazed at the early afternoon. The setting sun strongly casted a gold color on snow-covered trees. Her new home with dark days struck her as beginning to brighten.

Sunday morning, Julie picked her up in time for a church service. Inside log-framed St. Matthews Church, Marjorie gazed at impressive colorful glass windows in art that featured leaders in villages. Most people settled in the pews were dressed casually in winter attire and many appeared part of native families. After the service at a coffee get-together, Julie introduced her to several people. They greeted her in the same friendly way as happened at the clinic. She was new in this town yet accepted by all as a friend.

One bearded man asked Julie, "Leo got his dogs ready for the 500-mile Quest race?"

"He sure has," she answered while zipping up her jacket. As she and Marjorie walked to the pickup, she mentioned their lunch plan. "I thought Leo would drive in and join us, but he's wrapped up with dogs. How about driving to our place today? I've got soup ready for warming up?"

"I'll love to see your place. While we drive, I'll tell you how I followed your advice. I wrote a card to Henry and feel much better."




CHARACTER LIST
Marjorie Lange, doctor with Native Corp, in AK to avoid past boyfriend
Roger Hendricks, engineer at oil pipeline job, helps with ice sculptures
James Lange, her brother in Airforce at Ft. Greeley
Leo Granger, Dogsled racer and keeper of 40 dogs
Julie Granger, Ice sculpture artist
Maryann Lange, her mother and retired teacher
Kenneth Lange, her father and military retiree
Henry Wilburn, an ex-fiance
Eddie Frank, a long-time friend
Hank, cab driver
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by MoonWillow at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Alaskastory All rights reserved.
Alaskastory has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.