Essay Non-Fiction posted March 4, 2023


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a rant

Thank you! May I Have Another?

by Bill Schott


 
Wow! It has been a while since I have been screwed so badly by newbies. 
 
I remember when I first joined Fanstory. I was ready to bring order to the chaos which I assumed existed here without my genius.
 
One of the first poems I reviewed seemed like the member phoned it in. It was four lines long, about
twenty words. It had neither rhyme nor meter, or, to my mind, any resemblance to a poem. I looked at the scale I could rate it on and decided to pan the poet severely, and tell him how his post seemed weak.
 
The author's reply informed me that the format he used was called NAANI, which required four lines and between twenty and twenty-five syllables. There was no requirement for classic poetic devices. 
 
Okay, lesson learned. I updated my review and made sure I gave everyone a positive review after that.
 
So, one of the telling signs of a newbie on the site is a "what fools these mortals be" review. Ouch! Thank you! May I have another?
 
I wrote a 1-6-1 recently. It was not a gem by any means. I did not wrestle with it or choose my words carefully, but it fit the requirements of the challenge: Eight syllables, 1-6-1, all lines rhyme.
 
This poem lacks depth, substance, and any real artistic merit. The use of crude language does not automatically make a poem engaging or meaningful, and in this case, it falls flat.  (One star). 
 
Certainly, my 1-6-1 was not Leaves of Grass, but it was not a one star. 
 
Then, the next day or so, I posted to another challenge, a 1-7-1. This one required that I start and end the piece with the same word.
 
Very basic. Not much creativity in this poem. The image is nice but for such a short poem I would have liked to see some deeper meaning, some better choices of words. (Two stars)
 
I guess I understand how these morons feel, being "writers" and all, but I wish they would make the better decision to leave my posting money alone, and go choose to inflict themselves on others. The only good thing is they will soon learn that no one values their offerings as much as they do themselves, and will either learn how to work cooperatively or go to another site where they can be a one-eyed king.
Now I feel better.
 
 



Write A Rant contest entry

Recognized


"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.