General Script posted February 23, 2023 Chapters: -Prologue- 1... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Conversations with Dad

A chapter in the book The Farewell

A Final Farewell

by Kaiku


THE FAREWELL
`CONVERSATIONS WITH DAD`
 
THE PREPARATION – ALL THE CHILDREN
`FAMILY IS GATHERED TO DISCUSS THEIR DAD`
 
(All nine children are gathered in the living and dining room, dad is asleep)
 
Setting:  Living room, rather square in size but spacious.  Leather couch against the front windows of the house, a tri-level.  Half wall on the staircase side with a couple sitting chairs, lamp and small round table stand with flowers and knick-knacks. Opposite wall is a recliner and cabinet with glass doors.  Cabinet holds crystal and other family items i.e. pics of the grandkids etc.  In front of the couch is a 60`s style coffee table with snacks and other edible items that the children are sharing.  An open space connects the living room and dining room.  Artwork adorns all the walls where there is room.  Nothing cramped or ostentatious.  Kids are scattered about, some standing, some sitting both in the living room and dining room.
 
Their dad has four days left in his life.  He is home, in his bedroom preparing to die from congestive heart failure.  The nine children have flown in from around the country to say their last goodbyes.  Peggy has gotten the attention of the group.
 
LIGHTS COME UP
 
Nine children are reminiscing about family and their dad.
 
PEGGY in a soft but commanding voice
HEY EVERYONE.  DAD`S TAKING A NAP RIGHT NOW SO I WANTED TO TOSS OUT AN IDEA.  I`VE ALREADY SPOKEN WITH MOM ABOUT THIS.  SHE`S LYING DOWN WITH DAD RIGHT NOW.
 
MARTY rather quickly
AWW...WHAT`S YOUR IDEA, PEGGY?
 
PEGGY kind but factual manner
AFTER SPEAKING WITH THE NURSE, WE REALLY HAVE
NO IDEA HOW LONG DAD WILL BE WITH US.
 
JANET quickly and feeling a little helpless
WHAT DID SHE SAY?
 
PEGGY factually
DAD`S CONDITION IS DETERIORATING.
 
Pause as all gather their composure.
 
DAN offering confidence to Peggy
GO AHEAD PEGGY, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?
 
PEGGY
SINCE WE`RE ALL HERE AND DAD SEEMS TO HAVE THE ENERGY,
WOULD IT MAKE SENSE FOR EACH OF US TO HAVE
A PRIVATE MOMENT WITH DAD, A CONVERSATION?
 
MARIANNE appreciative in her voice
THAT WOULD BE NICE, PEGGY.
 
ALL softly
SOFT AGREEABLE CHATTER
 
CAROL a carefulness in voice
TODAY?  IT`S LATE AND DAD IS SLEEPING.
 
PEGGY understanding in her reply
I WAS THINKING SOMETIME TOMORROW.  LET`S SEE HOW
RESTED HE IS IN THE MORNING AND GAUGE HIS INTEREST.
 
MARTHA a little anxious and expressive
GREAT IDEA, PEGGY!  WHAT DO YOU THINK EVERYONE?
 
DAN a calmness
VERY NICE, PEGGY.  WE`LL AWAIT YOUR WORD
TOMORROW MORNING THEN.
 
ALL
SOFT GROUP CHATTER
 
LIGHTS FADE
 
END PREPARATION
 
 
(Peggy- 60, Marianne- 58, Mike- 57, Janet- 56, Martha- 54, Kevin- 52, Carol- 51, Dan- 47, Tim- 42)
 
 
 
THE PREPARATION – B

(Leo`s wife of 55 years, Nancy, is lying next to her dying husband)
 
Setting:  Master bedroom.  Room is spacious and comfortable.  King size bed against the far wall from the entry door. Nightstands on either side with reading lamps. A Lazy Boy positioned at the end of the bed facing the entry to the room. There is another chair, folding, that rests directly opposite the Lazy Boy so that both parties in their respective chairs would be facing each other. A couple feet from the two chairs is the entrance to the master bath. Along the near wall closest to the door sits an extensive dresser and bureau and just past the bureau is a walk-in closet.  Various pieces of artwork hang from the open spaces on each of the four walls.  One in particular, is a painting of the man who is sitting in the Lazy Boy.  It`s an action painting of the man highlighting his career as a professional basketball player.
 
The man has three days left in his life.  He is home, in his room preparing to die from congestive heart failure.  His nine kids have come to say their goodbyes, one-by-one.

Leo is sleeping with strained breathing.  Nancy is lying close in
a spooning position with her arm around her husband.
 
NANCY softly and with effort
WE HAVE HAD SUCH THE TIME, HAVEN`T WE? SUCH A HUSBAND YOU HAVE BEEN THROUGH THESE YEARS.  NOT ALWAYS EASY MIND YOU. BUT I WOULDN`T HAVE DONE IT  ANY DIFFERENTLY. OUR CHILDREN…OH MY GOSH LEO, I SWEAR, YOU JUST WOULDN`T STOP. soft laughter with admiration. NOW… NOW THEY`VE BLESSED US WITH 
WONDERFUL GRANDCHILDREN. DID YOU EVER IMAGINE?  
 
Pause, Nancy succumbing to tears.  Lies quietly for a short spell.
 
TOMORROW, EACH OF THE KIDS WANTS TO SEE YOU…SPEND SOME TIME ALONE…HAVE THEIR SAY. THAT`S (deep sigh)…THAT`S…PRETTY….SPECIAL. I KNOW YOU DON`T LIKE THE ATTENTION, SO SET THAT ASIDE  AND LET YOUR KIDS BE YOUR KIDS. OK LEO?
 
Leo is laboring in his sleep as Nancy continues by his side.
 
I DON`T KNOW WHAT I`LL DO WITHOUT YOU.  
 
Nancy takes a deep breath, then whispers in Leo`s ear.
I LOVE YOU LEO ANTHONY KLIER
 
LIGHTS FADE
 
END PREPARATION - B

FATHER- 82, former professional basketball player, college All-American, great all-around athlete, businessman, devoted father, and husband.  Logical, understanding and a disciplinarian. Sang in the church choir. 
 
MOTHER- 77, beloved by everyone. Never met a person she didn`t like.  The mortar in the family of nine children.  Tremendous athlete, accomplished artist and photographer and an excellent writer.  Indomitable spirit, devoted Catholic, and a loving mother first and foremost.
 



Write A Screenplay contest entry

Recognized


A bit unconventional in style. I am not shouting with the caps.

Nine children are preparing for their father`s death. Suffering from congestive heart failure, it is just three or four days before their beloved father succumbs to the affliction. They discuss next steps led by the eldest, Peggy.

The activities are true, the actual conversations are private.

The stage is set up to accommodate two separate scenes that play back-to-back It is set up as Scene 1 and Scene 1B etc. Hopefully I haven`t confused you. It provides an insight into the siblings interactions.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Kaiku All rights reserved.
Kaiku has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.