General Script posted March 8, 2023 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A family gathers to celebrate a father`s life

A chapter in the book The Farewell

The Farewell VI

by Kaiku


SCENE VI

(In Scene V Janet was the fifth of nine to visit their father) 
 
Setting:  Master bedroom.  Room is spacious and comfortable.  King size bed against the far wall from the entry door.  Nightstands on either side with reading lamps. A Lazy Boy positioned at the end of the bed facing the entry to the room. There is another chair, folding, that rests directly opposite the Lazy Boy so that both parties in their respective chairs would be facing each other. A couple feet from the two chairs is the entrance to the master bath. Along the near wall closest to the door sits an extensive dresser and bureau and just past the bureau is a walk-in closet.  Various pieces of artwork hang from the open spaces on each of the four walls.  One in particular is a painting of the man sitting in the Lazy Boy.  It`s an action painting of the man highlighting his career as a professional basketball player.
 
The man has three days left in his life.  He is home, in his room preparing to die from congestive heart failure.  His nine kids have come to say their goodbyes, one-by-one.
 
LIGHTS COME UP
 
Door opens and Carol quickly pops in.
 
CAROL quick happy voice.
HEY DAD, HAVE WE WORN YOU OUT YET?
 
Carol confidently walks over to the chair and sits comfortably.
 
FATHER in a funny way.
WHAT`S HAPPENING?
 
CAROL quick on the response.
YOU ARE LEO.  I BET YOU`RE READY FOR A NAP!
 
FATHER somewhat incredulously.
DO I LOOK LIKE I`M READY FOR A NAP.
 
CAROL imitating her father
DO I HAVE A FUNNY FACE?  HMM.

Laughter shared by both.
 
FATHER
NO, BUT I DO.
 
More laughter and then a short pause.
 
CAROL keeping the air light.
WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WHEN YOU'RE GONE?  I`M NOT GOING TO EAT THE REMAINDER OF THOSE PRUNES.  AND I`M CERTAINLY NOT GOING TO DRINK ANYMORE OF THAT COD LIVER OIL!
 
FATHER joining in on the fun.
WELL, I GUESS WE`LL HAVE TO GIVE IT TO THE CAT.  THE NEIGHBOR`S CAT.
 
Dad continues but on a serious note
MAKE SURE YOU TAKE CARE OF YOUR MOTHER.  I BELIEVE SHE`S PLANNED ON HAVING YOU AND PEGGY ACT AS POWER OF ATTORNEYS WHEN THE TIME COMES.
 
CAROL  a firm reply.
THAT`S RIGHT DAD.  WE`LL BE IN LOCK-STEP.  DON`T YOU WORRY.
 
FATHER soft but strong.
THERE ISN`T ANYONE LIKE NANCY.
 
CAROL thoughtful but quick on the return
JUST YOU DAD.
 
LIGHTS FADE
 
END OF SCENE VI
 
FATHER- 82, former professional basketball player, college All-American, great all-around athlete, businessman, devoted father and husband. Logical, understanding and a disciplinarian. Sang in the church choir. 
 
CAROL-51, married with 2 children.  Very organized.  BA degree.  Athletic: swimmer and racquetball player, fit and pretty.  Always on a mission of some kind.  A good friend.
 
 
SCENE – 6B
 
(Boys have decided to hang outside and do a little yard maintenance.  Mother, Linnea, Peggy, Marianne, Janet and Martha are chatting in the living room. (Carol is with her dad)
 
Setting:  Living room, rather square in size but spacious.  Leather couch against the front windows of the house, a tri-level.  Half wall on the staircase side with a couple sitting chairs, lamp and small round table stand with flowers and knick-knacks. Opposite wall is a recliner and cabinet with glass doors.  Cabinet holds crystal and other family items i.e. pics of the grandkids etc.  In front of the couch is a 60`s style coffee table with snacks and other edible items that the children are sharing.  An open space connects the living room and dining room.  Artwork adorns all the walls where there is room.  Nothing cramped or ostentatious.  Kids are scattered about, some standing, some sitting both in the living room and dining room.
 
Their dad has three days left in his life.  He is home, in his bedroom preparing to die from congestive heart failure.  The nine children have flown in from around the country to say their last goodbyes.  Siblings are commiserating, waiting for their turn with Dad.
 
LIGHTS COME UP
 
Janet, Martha, and Linnea find themselves a private moment.
 
MARTHA on edge
LINNEA, HAVE YOU BEEN IN TOUCH WITH THE HOSPICE NURSE? IS THIS REALLY HAPPENING?
 
LINNEA acting as the doctor she is.
I DID. WE JUST NEED TO MAKE YOUR DAD AS COMFORTABLE AS POSSIBLE. I HAD A CHANCE TO PEEK IN ON YOUR DAD BRIEFLY.  (deep sigh…pause, uneasiness) IT`S AMAZING THAT HE HAS THE STRENGTH TO VISIT WITH EVERYONE. THIS STAGE OF CONGESTIVE HEART FAILURE IS TERRIBLE. (pause) YOU`VE READ THE PAMPLETS…RIGHT? (Janet and Martha nod) BEING HONEST, HE PROBABLY WON`T MAKE IT THROUGH THE WEEKEND. (The girls grab each other`s hand and just sit there holding back their tears)
 
LIGHTS FADE (smash cut to Marianne and Peggy) LIGHTS COME UP
 
MARIANNE carefully speaking.
I WISH I LIVED CLOSER.  MOM`S GOING TO NEED US MORE THAN EVER. (Peggy focused on her sister) FROM WHAT YOU`VE TOLD ME, YOU AND CAROL WILL BE THE POWER OF ATTORNEY FOR MOM: CAROL WILL HANDLE MEDICAL ISSUES AND YOU`LL ASSIST MOM IN THE FINANCIALS.  IS THAT RIGHT?
 
PEGGY calm and business-like.
YES, THAT`S CORRECT.  MOM`S SO STRONG AND SHE HAS SO MUCH SUPPORT. I KNOW YOU`LL BE THERE AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT.  DAN HAS BEEN GREAT IN HANDLING ALL THE LEGAL ISSUES. CAROL IS LESS THAN AN HOUR AWAY AND OF COURSE I WILL BE MAKING PERIODIC TRIPS AS TIME PERMITS. I BELIEVE MOM WILL BE FINE.
 
LIGHTS FADE (smash cut back to Linnea, Janet and Martha) LIGHTS COME UP
 
MARTHA being a little nosey. Looks at Linnea.
WAS DAN REALLY OK WITH YOU BEING HERE?  GOSH, MAYBE I SHOULD ASK JIM TO DRIVE DOWN.  I WONDER IF PEGGY ASKED JERRY TO COME.
 
JANET a bit disappointed.
BOB WOULDN`T BE ABLE TO BE HERE.  HE`S WORKING AND WE COULDN`T AFFORD IT. LINNEA, YOU`RE A DOCTOR.  YOU SHOULD BE HERE.
 
LINNEA apologetically.
I DON`T WANT TO CAUSE A FUSS BY BEING HERE. IT`S TRAGIC TO WATCH SOMEONE DIE.(Pause...catching a slow breath) I WANT TO BE ABLE TO HELP. YOUR DAD WILL NEED A PAIN KILLER. I`LL BE ABLE TO PROVIDE HIM THE MORPHINE TO EASE HIS PAIN.  AND NOT TO BE MORBID, BUT I WANT TO BE THE ONE TO SIGN THE OFFICIAL DEATH CERTIFICATE.
 
Janet and Martha just look at each other a bit lost.
 
LIGHTS FADE
 
END OF SCENE 
 
 
Peggy- 60, Marianne- 58, Janet- 56, Martha- 54, Linnea- 47.
 




Forgive my use of CAPS. I wanted to make sure the dialogue was not mixed up with all the side commentary.

Carol is very confident: Married to a lawyer who treats her like a queen.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Kaiku All rights reserved.
Kaiku has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.