General Script posted February 24, 2023 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A family gathers to celebrate a father`s life

A chapter in the book The Farewell

The Farewell III

by Kaiku


SCENE III

(In Scene II Mike was the second of nine to visit their father) 
 
Setting:  Master bedroom.  Room is spacious and comfortable.  King size bed against the far wall from the entry door.  Nightstands on either side with reading lamps. A Lazy Boy positioned at the end of the bed facing the entry to the room. There is another chair, folding, that rests directly opposite the Lazy Boy so that both parties in their respective chairs would be facing each other. A couple feet from the two chairs is the entrance to the master bath. Along the near wall closest to the door sits an extensive dresser and bureau and just past the bureau is a walk-in closet.  Various pieces of artwork hang from the open spaces on each of the four walls.  One in par00ticular is a painting of the man sitting in the Lazy Boy.  It`s an action painting of  the man highlighting his career as a professional basketball player.
 
The man has three days left in his life.  He is home, in his room preparing to die from congestive heart failure.  His nine kids have come to say their goodbyes, one-by-one.
 
LIGHTS COME UP
 
Soft knock on the door as it opens.
 
MARIANNE entering holding a glass of water, shuts the door with her foot
HELLO DAD, THOUGHT YOU MIGHT BE THIRSTY SO I BROUGHT YOU A GLASS OF WATER
 
FATHER appreciative voice
THANKS MARIANNE.  COME SIT…WATER WOULD BE GOOD RIGHT NOW
 
Marianne hands her dad the glass of water and sits. Father readjusts his sitting posture to be a bit more upright so he can drink from the glass.  He takes a few sips and hands the glass back to Marianne.  Marianne is sitting on the edge of the chair in the ready position.
 
A short pause
 
FATHER clasping his hands together with a pensive look
YOU`VE ALWAYS BEEN MY ALL-AMERICAN.  GOSH, THERE WASN`T ANYTHING YOU COULDN`T DO IN SPORTS.
 
MARIANNE sounding a little choked up
IT`S ALL YOU DAD.  I HAD A GOOD TEACHER
 
FATHER
I SUPPOSE SO, BUT YOUR MOTHER HAD A HAND IN IT AS WELL
 
MARIANNE offering Father the glass of water in which he accepts
YOU AND MOM ARE SOMETHING ELSE…HEY, I TOLD MY KIDS I WAS COMING TO SEE YOU.  THEY LOVE THE STORIES I TELL THEM ABOUT MY DAD.  THEY CAN`T WAIT TO SING HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO LEO KLIER AGAIN
 
FATHER handing the glass back to Marianne
THAT`S NICE…MIND IF WE REST JUST A MINUTE?
 
MARIANNE moving her chair next to her Father
OF COURSE NOT 
 
Marianne is now sitting very close to her Father with her arm intertwined with her dad`s
 
LIGHT FADES
 
END OF SCENE III
 
FATHER- 82, former professional basketball player, college All-American, great all-around athlete,00 businessman, devoted father and husband.  Logical, understanding and a disciplinarian. Sang in the church choir. 
 
MARIANNE-58, single, no children, Master`s degree in Education, Special Needs Teacher, all-around athlete excelling in golf and softball. Medium height and slender.  Everything is done by the book.  Reclusive in a way but loves her family.  A devoted friend.  Number two in the line-up of nine.
 
 
SCENE – 3B
 
(Four sisters, Linnea and Nancy are gathered in the living room. Marianne is with her dad)
 
Setting:  Living room, rather square in size but spacious.  Leather couch against the front windows of the house, a tri-level.  Half wall on the staircase side with a couple sitting chairs, lamp and small round table stand with flowers and knick-knacks. Opposite wall is a recliner and cabinet with glass doors.  Cabinet holds crystal and other family items i.e. pics of the grandkids etc.  In front of the couch is a 60`s style coffee table with snacks and other edible items that the children are sharing.  An open space connects the living room and dining room.  Artwork adorns all the walls where there is room.  Nothing cramped or ostentatious.  Kids are scattered about, some standing, some sitting both in the living room and dining room.
 
Their dad has three days left in his life.  He is home, in his bedroom preparing to die from congestive heart failure.  The nine children have flown in from around the country to say their last goodbyes.  Siblings are commiserating, waiting for their turn with Dad.
 
LIGHTS COME UP
 
Marianne is with her father. The boys have stepped outside so it`s just the girls with Nancy.
They are gathered in the living room occupying the chairs and couch.  Small talk and a fingering of food that sits on the coffee table.
 
PEGGY politely
HOW WAS YOUR FLIGHT LINNEA?
 
JANET adding quickly.
SUCH A TREAT TO HAVE YOU WITH US.
 
LINNEA still settling down.
YOU KNOW, LAST MINUTE SCHEDULING.  MAKING SURE THE KIDS 
ARE BEING WATCHED.  THE FLIGHT…GOOD
 
NANCY thankful voice
IT`S SO NICE TO HAVE YOU HEAR LINNEA.  WHAT`S KYLA UP TO THESE
DAYS?   FOR THAT MATTER, HOW ABOUT THOSE HANDSOME BOYS OF YOURS?
 
LINNEA a little embarrassed
HOW`S LEO…HOW`S HE HOLDING UP?  WHAT`S THE NURSE BEEN  
 ABLE TO SHARE WITH YOU?
 
PEGGY getting up and motioning to Linnea.  They walk off
to the side and Peggy explains the situation to Linnea. 
 
CAROL getting up as well.
MOM, CAN I GET YOU SOMETHING, GLASS OF WATER…ANYTHING?
HOW ABOUT ANYONE ELSE?
 
Mom softly shakes her head no.
 
MARTHA gesturing
I`LL TAKE A GLASS OF WINE.
 
JANET 
JUST WATER FOR ME, THANKS.
 
CAROL walking off.
BE RIGHT BACK.
 
Martha notices Marianne exiting the bedroom and makes a beeline to see her dad.
 
 
LIGHTS FADE

END OF SCENE 
 
 
Four sisters, mom, and Dan`s wife: Nancy- 77, Peggy- 60, Janet- 56, Martha- 54, Carol- 51, Linnea- 47
 




Forgive the use of CAPS. Lots of side remarks that I didn`t want to be confused as conversation.

Marianne is the devoted daughter and friend.

Just the girls are gathered as the boys have stepped outside to take a break and help Dan with any of Linnea`s luggage.

Carol had a nickname of `Bee`. Martha references that in her response as an endearing gesture to her sister.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Kaiku All rights reserved.
Kaiku has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.