General Poetry posted January 25, 2023


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Can You Not See

A Thrillogy

by Tom Horonzy

 
                        Sin-Full Youth

The first story begins in my youth when a friend and I drove to a sockhop in Philadelphia, Pa. He was driving a 1958 Ford Custom, three-on-the-column manual shift, which he deemed really hot when he pulled beside an all-black '64 Ford Galaxie 500. It had no chrome, which should have been a hint, which I tried to share with my driver.

Riding shotgun, I looked again to my right and thought aloud, "Dave, Can you not see that might be a cop?"

"Nah," came his reply as he began rocking his car back and forth, daring the other to race on I-95. We were already doing sixty m.p.h. when my friend downshifted and revved his r.p.m.s before popping the clutch to re-enter third gear, speeding upward towards one hundred on the speedometer. I was ready to pee my pants when red and blue lights blinked on and off in the trailing car's grill. We'd been had, and thus moisture became evident on the slacks I wore.

The story ends as we followed the patrolman to a Justice-of-the-Peace in Bensalem Township, presenting his case and how we were clocked doing ninety. The judgment came to be a c-note plus thirty bucks fine, which neither of us could scratch together. Pleading clemency, they agreed we could have seventy-two hours to raise the dough.

Fearing word would get back to his dad, Dave borrowed the money from a priest, stating it was a bet gone bad and the mob was vowing to break his legs.

Strangely, after paying the fine, no evidence ever appeared on Dave's record, which led us to believe that the J.P. and the policeman shared the bounty.
 

   



Can You Not See? writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Create a story, using the question, Can You Not See? 1500 words or less, using any genre you prefer.


Photograph found on Pexels.com by George Becker

Thinking it through there are variable ways to address Can You Not See. As in being blind, or not understanding another's point of view, having blinders on, or witnesses to a crime. Have a go, and show what it is you can not see.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Tom Horonzy All rights reserved.
Tom Horonzy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.