Fantasy Fiction posted January 24, 2023 Chapters:  ...215 216 -217- 218... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Alone - Contest

A chapter in the book One Thousand Cranes

Dark Skies

by Gypsy Blue Rose

Day and night merge together in my dark and gloomy room. It feels like a tomb. I haven't seen people in ten years and I almost have given up hope.

Most of all, I miss human touch. I have come to the conclusion that touch is almost as important as air or water. Loneliness could kill me slowly. I go on for months without talking out loud but I hear voices in my head. At times I feel like I am losing my mind, I hear my mother and my children calling me but they died long ago.

I am ashamed to admit that in the beginning I collected mannequins and treated them like people, but on one especially rageful day, I burned them all. I get angry a lot. I continuously go through the cycle of grief ... denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. Feelings can be overwhelming. I found out that crying helps a lot.

I have almost forgotten the sound of my voice. For a while, I had conversations with my plants but they didn't last long after the WWIII atomic bomb. As far as I know, the bomb killed almost every living thing on Earth, and the few who survived died during the nuclear winter. I was lucky to have an underground shelter. My neighbors thought I was crazy when they saw me building it but I got the last laugh. After I came out of the shelter, I searched for other survivors but eventually, I stopped.

I used to complain about big crowds. I'm an introspective person and after my divorce, I enjoyed serenity and solitude. Now, I would give anything to find other people, even just one.

I ask God why he spared me and although I don't hear His response, I get a warm feeling inside and a small light of hope. Perhaps my purpose is to populate the Earth. So I will continue searching for a man or a sperm bank. Not sure how that would work but I have the time to figure it out.

 
 

dark skies
follow me wherever I go —
thunder is my companion
 
 
 
 
 



Alone Writing Contest contest entry


NUCLEAR WINTER is the environmental devastation that scientists contend would probably result from the hundreds of nuclear explosions in a nuclear war.

WORLD WAR III or the THIRD WORLD WAR, are names given to a hypothetical worldwide large-scale military conflict

SPERM BANK --Do-it-yourself insemination is pretty straightforward, according to Fertility Authority. Sperm banks provide a syringe for placing the sperm next to your cervix, on or around the time of ovulation.

Thank you very much for reading my story.

Gypsy
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Gypsy Blue Rose All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Gypsy Blue Rose has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.