General Fiction posted January 12, 2023


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Story inspired by a hike near Ullapool in the West Highlands

Highlands

by Chris Davies


'Twas nearly noon, judging by the height of the sun, when Mairag reached the top of the crag; her breathing ragged from the climb. She'd followed the ancient goats' paths throughout the night, the Lenten moon guiding her steps. The snow was recently melted, and the sun warmed the land. Too early for heather, but the yellow gorse was peeking out from the rocks, its coconut smell scenting the breeze.

She gazed down at the lochs. Their steely grey waters, reaching toward the sea, were reminiscent of her father's greedy grey eyes which assessed the fourteen fat, fine, ginger cows, and the single gold coin that was to be her bride price. Her worth was determined by Laird Ramsey as he bought her for his son, William, with the hungry eyes.

Mairag had waited until dark to run. Now she was alone. Her world was as empty as her heart.

She drew her woolen shawl close and suppressed a shiver.

She'd given little thought as to how she would cope. First, she would need to find shelter and food. Tears streaked down her cheeks. How would she survive alone with no experience in trapping, no weapons for hunting? No use for embroidery skills here.

It was a spectacular land, but harsh and unforgiving. She sat down, leaning her back against a sun-warmed boulder. She would rest for just a moment. Her eyes closed, and she drifted into sleep.

It was dark when she awoke to cold and hunger. She huddled against the rock and waited for daylight to break. She would need to find food and somewhere to stay. This had been a mistake. She should have obeyed her father.

She would never be able to go home again. Her hasty decision about William Ramsey seemed silly compared to the situation in which she now found herself. She heard an animal howl and stiffened with fear. Sleep finally came just before dawn.

Mairag awoke with a start to a horse's whinny, and a man crouched beside her.

"Please," he said, "don't be afraid."

She scrambled away from him, terrified. How had he found her?

"I won't hurt you."

She shaded her eyes from the sun and looked at him. He had lost the hungry look, and she saw concern. Her muscles relaxed slightly. She would gladly marry him if only she didn't need to remain here by herself.

He sat down beside her. "You don't want to be alone. It's dangerous here. Let me take you back, Mairag."

"I can't. I've shamed my family."

His thumb wiped the tear from her cheek. "We could handfast and you'd return as my wife. There will be no shame in that. I will always protect you."

She raised her eyes to his. Seeing only kindness, she wondered why she'd run. She agreed, and they said the words that would bind them.

He held his hand out to her. "Come. If we leave now, we can return by nightfall." He lifted her and placed her atop his horse, then jumped up behind her.

"Are you sure we should return?" she asked.

He wiggled his eyebrows. "I am. The bride price has been paid." I'll never be able to afford another. Besides," he said with a smile, "What kind of wedding would it be if the wife were not chased?"







Alone Writing Contest contest entry


Post Number 50
A Milestone Post
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Chris Davies All rights reserved.
Chris Davies has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.