Mystery and Crime Fiction posted December 3, 2022 Chapters:  ...18 19 -20- 21... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Questions, mysteries, and more questions

A chapter in the book Death By Murder

Death By Murder - Chap 20

by Begin Again




Background
A jewel heist, Boston's rival gang war, and unsolved murders. Cold case specialists, Detectives Hank and Emmy, track the missing diamonds and become entwined in murders, untold stories, and much more.
ENDING OF CHAP 19
 

"I'd be happy to show you the roses, but Cooper, what could you tell the detectives?" 

"I had a visitor this morning, and he might help, but it's not my choice whether he does. I will ask him, though." 

Hank reached for the biggest pastry on the tray. "Go. I'll be sitting right here waiting for you. And you girls, enjoy the roses." 

Cooper nodded and left for the clubhouse to speak with Fenton. He hoped the young man wouldn't be too afraid to share his information about the bank and Rudy. 

***********************
 
BEGINNING OF CHAP 20
 

"Your garden is beautiful, Elizabeth. I have one struggling rose bush and a few geraniums in the garden outside my apartment. I envy you." 

 

"Thank you, but, of course, I can't take credit for its beauty. My mother started it long ago, and my father's men have continued the work. It's so relaxing to walk the garden path, enjoying the aroma and the birds chirping, too."  

 

As they neared the edge of the garden, Emmy couldn't help but notice the sudden change in Elizabeth's demeanor; her eyes were darting toward the street and then around the garden. 

 

"Is something wrong, Elizabeth?" 

 

"What? Oh no, I'm fine." Elizabeth looked toward the street before adding, "We should go back inside in case Cooper has returned." 

 

Emmy scanned the street, looking for whatever was upsetting Elizabeth. She recognized the black sedan parked in the cul-de-sac. Elizabeth was already rushing toward the front door, and Emmy hurried to catch up with her. 

 

*************** 

Peter stared out the car window at Elizabeth. He didn't recognize her visitor, but that was of little consequence to him. She was invisible to his daydream. His eyes closed briefly as he pictured him by Lizzie's side, whispering sweet words against her hair.  

 

His heart tightened as he realized she'd seen the car and felt threatened. As she rushed toward the house, his thoughts were mixed with emotions.  

 

"My dear Lizzie, why do you run from me? We are meant to be, and I hope you will soon recognize the love we share."  

 

As Elizabeth disappeared from his view, he opened his briefcase and retrieved a notebook. Its pages were tattered around the edges, and the cover was frayed from time. Peter slid his finger under the bookmark and opened the page. He began to read — 

 

"She stood on the dock, dreamily staring across the sparkling blue water. Her fingers touched her soft lips as she gently blew a kiss into the air. Her hands slowly moved up and down her arms, stroking and caressing. She whispered her thoughts into the gentle breeze, "Don't listen to the nay-sayers, my love. We are meant to be together." 

 

The gruff sound of Bruiser's voice jolted Peter back to reality. "Sir, should I take you home now?" 

 

Struggling to shake off his emotions, Peter was slow to answer. "What?" 

 

"Are you ready to go home?" 

 

"Oh, yes, yes, let's go home." Yet, he couldn't resist reading one last sentence.  

 

"I want your arms around me, holding me as your lips kiss me, and my body screams for more. You call my name, and I succumb to your demands."

 

Peter slumped against the seat, lost in his desire to live the dream with his sweet Lizzie. He returned the notebook to its resting place, slowly moving his fingers across the name etched on the cover – Lizzie. 

 

******************** 

 

Cooper had returned from the clubhouse after speaking to Fenton and Andrew, getting permission to tell Hank and Emmy what Fenton had overheard at the bank.  

 

Simultaneously, Elizabeth entered the study from the garden with Emmy close behind her. Seeing Peter twice in one morning was more than Elizabeth's emotions could endure, and it was clear she was upset. 

 

"Mom, what's wrong?" Cooper crossed the room and hugged his mother. "Did something upset you?" 

 

When Elizabeth shuddered but didn't speak, Emmy explained. "I believe Peter Costello's car was parked in the cul-de-sac. I did not see him, but it's difficult to miss that shiny sedan of his." 

 

"Damn him," Cooper swore, making his mother tremble even more. "You guys are cops. Can't you arrest him for harassment or something?" 

 

"Not really. He's not on your property, and he's not bothering any of you. It's not against the law to park on a city street. Unfortunately, he chose to be near your home. I understand how you feel, but until he breaks the law, we can't do anything." 

 

"Well, I can. If I see him out there again, I'm going to —" 

 

"Ignore him, Cooper." Elizabeth sighed and stepped away from her son. "He won't hurt me. I need to learn how to turn away and forget him." 

 

"Your mother is right. Fighting with him will only land you in hot water. We'd be arresting you for assault, and then who would be at your mother's side?" Emmy took Elizabeth's trembling hand and led her to a chair before pouring another cup of coffee from the thermos. "Sit and relax a moment." 

 

"Yeah, I'm hoping Cooper can enlighten us about his mysterious information. Did you get the okay?" Hank understood Cooper's concern for his mother, but he also knew if the doctor had information to help with the investigation, the sooner he knew about it, the better it would be.  

 

Over the next thirty minutes, Cooper explained that Fenton had a disability, and his grandfather's men often protected the lad from harm. When our lad learned of the diamonds and the possible connection to the jewel heist, he was terrified and came straight to Andrew for help.  

 

Cooper began by explaining that Rudy, Bennie, and Lance were related, but he didn't know the exact relationship. Lance, a lawyer, was directed to go to the Shanty Town bank after his terminal client passed, open a deposit box, and deliver the contents to the rightful owner. Fenton was doing maintenance when he overheard some giggling girls talking as if they had discovered Midas's tomb. One of them had seen the jewels when the lawyer opened the box. 

 

"It's my guess, Lance told Bennie, and in turn, Bennie told his father. I have no idea where the two younger men are, but Rudy is fighting for his life at Mercy Hospital." 

 

"Any idea where Lance's office might be?" 

 

"No, but Shanty Town is a close-knit place, and most people know everyone else." 

 

"Guess that's a good place to start. Sorry we started on a rough spot, but you and your mother have been very helpful. Please thank Fenton for his help." Hank stood and shook Cooper's hand. "I promised to keep his name out of my report, but keeping him protected for a while is a good idea. It's sad, but information gets leaked from time to time to the wrong people." 

 

*************** 

 

As soon as the door closed on Hank and Emmy, Cooper rushed into the study. 

 

"Mom, what did Andrew do with the box?" 

 

Instead of answering, Elizabeth walked to the bookshelf, reached for a book on the top shelf, and tipped it toward her. Cooper heard a strange noise and looked around the room. His grandfather's painting swung open, disclosing a safe. 

 

"A safe? I assume Andrew must know the combination." 

 

"Not exactly. Your grandfather never ceases to amaze me, Cooper. Instead of a combination, you must push in on the dial and twist the handle simultaneously." Elizabeth smiled at her son. "Do it but step clear of the bookcase." 

 

Cooper did as his mother instructed and was amazed when the bookcase moved, revealing a large vault. He stepped closer, peering inside the room. He could see the box sitting on top of some larger packages. "Did Andrew have any explanation for all this since Grandfather never shared it with us?" 

 

"Actually, I was stunned by it all, but I'll let Andrew explain it. I told him we would call him as soon as the detectives left." 

 

"And the box? Are the contents safe?" 

 

"It's not going to explode, but you will not believe what your grandfather was up to." 

 

"Tell me." 

 

"It's quite the story, and I believe Andrew can tell it better than I." Elizabeth handed her son the phone. "Call him, Cooper, before the suspense knocks you over." She chuckled and settled into a chair to wait, feeling relief for the first time today. "Your crime boss grandfather was more of a pied piper philanthropist." 




Recognized


CHARACTERS:
Frank O'Hara - deceased crime boss
Elizabeth O'Hara - daughter of deceased parents -Frank and Bethany O'Hara
Cooper O'Hara - Respected surgeon and illegitimate son of Elizabeth O'Hara
Hank Armato - Detective, newly transferred to Boston, Mass
Emmy Lansbury - Detective, interested in cold cases
Sara and Anthony - Siblings, owner/operator of the cafe
Police Chief Manley - At the helm of Boston's Police Headquarters
Kassandra - the Chief's Assistant
Andrew - Irish immigrant and elder of O'Hara's band of men
Lance Fenway - Attorney
Rupert Blackwell - Lance's first big client
Satan - Mr. Blackwell's butler and caretaker
Bennie Hogan - cousin and Lance's best friend
Rudy Hogan - Bennie's dad
Peter Costello - Rival gang boss taking the reins from his father
Bruiser - driver, bodyguard and "man of all trades"
Sandy - bartender and owner of The Watering Hole (an Irish bar in Shanty Town)
Mason and Paddy - thugs looking for a score
Fenton Bradenton - young, hardworking immigrant with a good heart
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.