Writing Fiction posted October 25, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Where's my Airbnb

Lost in Budapest

by Kaiku

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.

When I booked the trip, all indications were that the Airbnb I rented for the 3-day stay was walking distance from the train station. Although I was going to be in Budapest for the first time, it couldn't be that hard to find.

I hopped off the train, grabbed a map and confirmed the address. It was 9pm and I plugged in my mental compass. Should be a 30 minute walk. I plotted my course and with a quickness in my step, I began the trek to a warm bed waiting for my tired bones.

I made it a point to take pictures of recognizable landmarks just in case my efforts found a circular pattern. The streets for the most part were well lit. The neighborhoods I'm walking through seem rather peaceful. It was the sudden appearance of 'anyone' approaching me by foot or bicycle that created a bit of angst. I was rather an easy target. An American in Hungary for the first time, late at night and rather clueless. What I wasn't going to say if I came across someone was, "Ah my peaceful friend, I am an American and have no clue of where I am. Would you mind being a good chap and provide some accurate directions? Sorry, do you speak English?"

No, I was going to scamper behind a hedge or similar and remain stupidly lost.

I did come across a lone bicyclist and with a little trepidation, I waved him down to inquire of his knowledge of the area. He spoke English. He was a little help as he suggested I stay on lighted streets. Great, that was comforting!

After two hours of moving the needle in every direction possible, I was still searching. I was getting nervous. Nothing was familiar and why should it be. I could be in bum-fuck Egypt as far as I knew. I was tired, I had been 6 hours on the train, and now I was lost. Shit!

I stayed at it. I was pretty sure my 'Last Will and Testament' had been notarized and was accessible by my ex-wife. My bases were covered except that if I did get taken-out, who would know. I'd be that unsolved mystery for years to come. Shit!

It was getting late. Most of my walking had been in 'quiet' neighborhoods. There weren't any local businesses open offering me a glimpse of life. The only thing that kept me company was my revolving shadow as I passed under streetlight after streetlight.

My mild nervousness was mounting into something approaching being uncomfortable. The night was clear and slightly cool. I was sweating. I don't like to sweat, unless it's for fun.

Then, out of nowhere. two kids in their late teens appeared. I quickly asked, "Do you know where 'Morningside Manor' is?" "Sure," they said pointing. "It's right there." I'd be damned if the Airbnb I was thinking didn't exist, stood two houses-in from the street I was 'lost' on.

I slept soundly.



Lost - Flash Fiction writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a flash fiction story under 500 words about being lost


So much fun in getting lost, isn't it.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Kaiku All rights reserved.
Kaiku has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.