Humor Fiction posted September 27, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Short story for the Animal Crackers Club

Game Night

by June Sargent


"You played Miss Scarlet last time! You only choose her because she gets to move on the board first!" cried Alby, our male tuxedo cat.

"That's not true - who do you think I should be then?" protested Wenny, our female tuxedo.

"How about Mrs. Peacock?" suggested Christopher, our Maine coon cat.

"Why? Because she's old and matronly?" said Wenny with a sulky voice.

"No, because she's...mature and wise," said the coon cat.

"Oh, all right," Wenny finally relented, with a frown.

"Great, then I'll be Colonel Mustard, the cool military guy," said Alby.

"And I'll be Professor Plum," said Christopher, who felt Maine coons were by far the most intelligent of the feline species.

Our cats get together on Friday nights - for game night. Sometimes they play Scrabble, other times they play Monopoly. Tonight they decided on the game of Clue.

The object of the game is to solve a murder mystery - by figuring out whodunnit. with what choice of weapon and in which room.

As you move across the board with each toss of the die, you can venture guesses. It could be Mrs White killing the victim in the conservatory with a revolver. Or, Reverend Green, who did it in the library with a candlestick.

As the evening progressed, our three cats were becoming more and more frustrated with the game - and with each other.

Wrong once again in her guess, Mrs Peacock (Wenny) threw down her cards and stalked off.

"I'm going to put on the movie version of Clue instead! This is getting boring!"

"There she goes pulling one of her temper tantrums again,"muttered Colonel Mustard (Alby).

"I knew we should have played Candyland instead, " said Christopher (the Maine coon). "You guys are not intellectually gifted, like I am. Nor as sophisticated. Who wants popcorn?"



Club entry for the "Board Games" event in "Animal Crackers".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by pfemd at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. June Sargent All rights reserved.
June Sargent has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.