War and History Fiction posted September 18, 2022 Chapters:  ...25 26 -27- 28... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The Northerners make their move

A chapter in the book Rise from the Fall

The Mist

by Rinshikai


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
The author has placed a warning on this post for language.



Background
Colton Arverni is an auxiliary soldier in service to the Empire. When an aspiring new commander jeopardizes the northern frontier, Colton's life is changed forever.

Colton

I'm amazed the Commander is still conscious, let alone talking. Any man I've seen lose a limb would be a mess. Needle in hand, I work on the open wound near this neck. I'm no physician, but I know how to stitch.

"Dammit, boy!" He says.

"Commander, it will go more smoothly if you stay still," I say, offering him some booze for the pain. Chugging the whole wineskin, he allows me to work. One final stitch, and I close the wound. Now comes the arm. Peeling the cloth from his stump, I fight the urge to gag. It's a clean cut, and while it's not bleeding, it's beyond my skills. "We should get a proper healer to deal with this." Joining my Aunt, trying to get the taste of vomit out with wine.

Pacing frantically, Lord Mangus processes the news. "You lost Bloodcrest? How?" He demands.

With an actual healer working on him, the Commander stares Mangus down. "We were overwhelmed. I had no choice but to pull my men out." He holds out his stump. "I'm lucky I only lost my arm!"

"That's impossible. We destroyed every bridge. There's no way they could have crossed, not in overwhelming numbers." Disbelief resonates with each word," Explain yourself, Commander?"

Stonefaced, the Commander, shakes his head. "I warned you about the tree line. Their roots bridge the Scar, allowing raiding parties to cross with impunity."

"But the towers-"

"Never got built. The Northerners saw to that. And they used those same trees to make a bridge. Large enough for their army."

The situation is weighing him down, and Lord Magnus's demeanor goes from calm to dreadful. "We can't allow Bloodcreat to stay in their hands, Commander; it must be retaken."

Retake it? Is he insane? If they have the numbers to take the keep, how can we take it back with what we have? The Silver Scales have all but become the City Guard. We have less than one thousand men, and I can only assume the legion's numbers have been gutted.

With a fresh cloth dressing his wound, the Commander points at Becka with disdain, "This is all because of her and that priestess." His words are full of anger and sorrow. "Had you kept Cato in line, the Northerners wouldn't be out for blood."

Mangus ponders, rubbing his chin in frustration, looking for a solution to the mounting threat. Stopping, he sees a possible way out of the darkness. He eyes Becka, and I know what he's going to suggest.

I shove Becka behind me. "No," I say, even with the guards creeping towards me. "They won't stop with her. They'll go after her mother and anyone who was part of their capture."

With a snap of his fingers, Mangus signals his men to stop. Paling at the realization, he looks to all of us to find a solution. Unlike his brother, he refuses the drugs offered to him by a slave.

"Who is leading this force?" Iona asks. "Did you hear the name Bloody Bear?"

The mention of that name causes the Commander to grit his teeth and clench his fist. Hunched over, he nods, "That monster butchered my men. It was like a game to him!"

"Did they use the poison?" Iona asks.

"I don't know." He fights to remember, "Wait. Yes." He has a slave bring him a piece of charcoal and parchment; like a madman, he sketches a man with vases on his back, holding one of them with a flaming wick. "They threw these trying to break our line, but the winds kept changing.

Worry and relief hit me. Our enemy doesn't have a countermeasure. So they can't use it without risking themselves. But the fact that so many vials found their way here is worrying. "Lord Mangus, what do you plan to do with the confiscated vials?" I ask.

"You didn't destroy them!" the Commander stands, only to have the healer pull him back. "Lord Mangus, listen to me. You can't keep those vials; you must destroy them!"

"And how do you propose I do that, Commander? Burn them?" His words ring a harsh truth, "I've had this weapon stored in safe locations, places where a flame can't ignite them." He looks to all of us like children. "The enemy has given us a boon, and we will use it to our advantage." He stares at Becka, "Why did you bring her, Iona?"

"She's bait for the Bloody Bear."

"I see," the plan becoming clear. "Dangling some meat, crude but effective."

With Bloodcreat gone, we have to make our stand here. But will the Bear take the bait? The trench will ensure no large force can reach the walls. But my gut is telling me something is off.

"I'm curious, Commander. If they overwhelmed Bloodcreast, how did you manage to break through? How did you escape?" Alex asks.

The Commander winces as the healer applies something to his stump. "We set the trenches ablaze, and in the chaos, we emptied the larders and came here." With new bindings, he continues. "But that madman, I swear he looked right at me, promising to finish what he started."

This Bloody Bear, the more I hear about him, the less human he becomes. In my mind, I see a giant clad in crimson fur, wielding an axe in each hand, laughing among a mountain of bodies at his feet.

That day starts to creep its way into my mind. But Becka rests her head on my back, the warmth of her embrace soothing me. Tatanya sees this and cups my hand, vying for my attention. Giving her what she wants, she rests her hand on my shoulder, trying to push Becka away from me.

Slaves enter the room, offering us our clothes. Bells start to ring, and panicked voices begin to echo in our ears. Iona, Becka, and I grab our gear and quickly dress as we leave the estate.

Climbing the walls, we join our fellow mercs. Behind us, the crowds run aimlessly, not knowing what's going on. On the other side of the wall, screams and cries fill the streets, and the sight below is horrible; flames gazer from the sewers bringing a tidal wave of green mist, engulfing the area in a haze of death.

It's as if the void has opened, pulling everyone into its grisly embrace. A few poor souls reach the wall only to be consumed moments later. Their bodies are now dead on the ground.

My hand grips my sword, and it is like I'm five years old again. People are dying in front of me, and I can't do a thing about it. Becka's fingers intertwine with mine, and my heart stops pounding. Looking around me, I'm not the only one that feels this way. Then the trenches ignite, turning the barren land into a field of fire.

The Commander manages to scale the wall, joining our group. No words leave his mouth, only shaking his head at what has transpired. Unable to watch anymore, we return to the safety of the market. Crowds of people begin asking an endless number of questions. But we ignore them.

Outside the estate's walls, Mangus, Alex, and Tatanya wait for us. Shoving his way past us, the Commander pins Mangus to the wall. Unafraid of the blades ready to open his throat. "Where were you keeping them?" He demands.

"What?"

"The vials! Where were you keeping them."

Mangus, now fearful for his life, signals his men to sheath their swords, "I...had them stored underground. In vaults connected to the sewers. There is no way they could ignite in such a damp environment."

"Did you plan to ignite the trenches if the enemy came here?"

The realization hits Mangus hard. "We can't let this poison enter the market. Alex, have your men cover every sewer grate they can find. I want everyone in their homes and off the streets."

"At once." Alex rushes to a group of Silver Scales, who, in turn, spread the message.

Mangus leans on the wall for support, the confident man now on the verge of despair. Tatanya tries to help him but to no avail. He's in utter shock.

"How? How?" His gaze darts between us as he pulls himself to his feet. "How did they know?" He mutters, pointing at my Aunt. "It was you. Everything was fine until you brought that animal into my city."

"Uncle, please calm yourself."

He pushes Tatanya away. "Guards! Take the girl." Pointing at Becka, "Have her crucified. I want this Bear slain and mounted on my walls."

I shove Becka behind me. "I told you, he won't stop with her."

"Boy, this is bigger than your pet; stand aside," Mangus demands.

Footsteps fill the streets, and Tristan arrives with the other Merc captains in tow. Mangus' guards go for their blades but stop when it's obvious they have no chance.

"They're out for blood; giving her over to them won't stop it." I continue to defend Becka. "It's obvious. You have a traitor in your house."

"Impossible; no one in my house would dare betray me. Take her." He says to his guards, but I drew my blade in defense. "You dare draw your blade on me? I'll have you hung for that!"

Before things escalate, something wooshes over my shoulder, biting into the wall. Recognizing the spear, I spot Hahaku walking out of the crowd. Calm and collected, he retrieves his spear.

"Are you trying to kill me!"

"That breeze. It's refreshing. It clears the mind." A flag dances in the wind; its tail is whipping towards the city's main gate. "It's funny; if it were blowing in the opposite direction, we'd all be dead. And this bickering would not matter."

He's right. The walls wouldn't have protected us. And accusing one another is a waste of time. The cries are silent now. I feel the guilt gnawing at me, but it all happened so fast; we could not stop the poison from spreading.

"So, it's good that we're all still alive. And not at each other throats because that would be playing into our enemy's hands." Hahaku continues getting silent agreements from everyone.

Mangus regains his composure taking a few deep breaths to calm himself. "You're right. Have every sewer covered and every gate barricaded. Iona, how long will this poison stay in the air?"

"A few days at least."

"Then we wait. And pray that God will be merciful a second time."




Character List
Colton: Main POV character
Iona: Colton's Aunt
Becka: Northern POW
Hahaku: Mercenary Captain and close family friend
Tatanya: Colton's wife
Mangus: Tatanya's uncle and younger brother of Lord Titus
Alex: Member of the Habi family
The Commander: Leader of what remains of the Tenth Legion

I ask reviewers to provide a minimum of one thing they liked and disliked. If you see errors or something that should be fixed, please don't hesitate to point them out. I can't improve otherwise.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by World Travel Photos at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Rinshikai All rights reserved.
Rinshikai has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.