General Fiction posted September 5, 2022 Chapters:  ...43 44 -45- 46... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The ladies have mixed feelings about an activity

A chapter in the book The Tor

Chapter of Faults

by Liz O'Neill



Background
The ladies are reflecting upon their horrific experience having been vortexed into the 16th century

Previously:

The ladies continue to process in an attempt to make sense of what happened during the 16th century. Madeline continues to be our narrator.

Cast of characters:

Madeline is the narrator

Cordelia was dishwasher and invited her to accompany her to England

Somara was the bookkeeper for the Monastery

Cyndy was the shepherd for 4 sheep

Jill tended to the hens and chicken & the flower gardens

Caren was a potter for the monastery in a separate building

Mary Jo was in charge of the appearance of the chapel

Karin was a counselor to the distressed brothers but was exposed and expelled for deceiving authorities 

********

 

Pulling on the fresh green grass, I continued to compliment the ladies for their contributions in the 16th century. “Jill, those lovely flowers you as Francis grew in your brilliantly colored garden for the chapel, brightened my day.”

Cyndy added more. “Even though the chapel was dark, and the flickering flame of the lantern brightened things enough, the flowers grown by you and placed just right by Michael/Mary Jo, brightened my spirits, especially when I was so troubled about our dear missing sheep Stewy."

There were voices in unison thanking her and agreeing with the statements. 

“Thank you for the help in our Chapter of faults sessions, where we had to kneel when an offense we were guilty of was announced. What was the point of that anyway?”

Cyndy concluded something of value. “Maybe in the years before our set landed there, all the penances and acts of humiliation held meaning. Maybe it was a holy activity that meant something; to humble them to make them holier, closer to God.”

Caren agreed. “Right, like the asking for food. Now that was rough and very hard to find humor in. I think it was mortifying for the person begging for food and the person at the table looking at their brother on his knees, unable to look up at us.”

Mary Jo had an insight. “It probably was just as well that we didn’t make eye contact. We might have blown it by getting giggling.”     

Karin countered the image. “I don’t know, it seemed some of us were actually caught in the wincing, shameful, embarrassed mindset and posture. Imagine, men who had the opportunity to spoon out whatever they wanted from the serving bowl had to go to another brother and kneel in front of him and beg for food.

“The kneeling thing was dually effective, humiliating for the kneeler and an icky feeling for the one being kneeled before. I could go on, but I will stop here.” She threw her hands up, signaling she’d said enough.

Mary Jo admitted Karin was right. “I just wanted to make light of the whole ridiculous, senseless activity.“

Cordelia posed a good thought. “I wonder if that’s one of the reasons the sets above us could not talk to us, except to say the rosary. They might say something about their secret activity that we could not know about until it was our time.”

It was my turn to insert my perception of the whole thing. “I remember the mystery and creepiness that hung in the air when we had to stay completely away from the activity room until we were cleared to go near there.”

Caren joined in mirroring my thoughts. “And then we found out the big secret. It was called Chapter of Faults. Was it called that because the Abbot found fault with us or because he was exposing our faults, or because we were to acknowledge our faults? Or all of the above.”

Cordelia chimed in, “That was another thing that made no sense. And because it had no credible purpose, we benefited nothing. Nada.”

Jill continued venting her original thoughts. “Abbot Richard would say that someone had left their cup on the table, rather than returning it to the dishwasher, and that they were to kneel to acknowledge it. 

“We all looked around to identify who might have neglected that responsibility. But I’m sure each of us was wondering, as I did, ‘Was it me?' 'Did I forget?’ Am I right? Is that what you guys were wondering?”

There were nods of resignation all around.

Jill was on a roll. “Then when no one acknowledged such an offense, he became more aggressive by threatening that if he didn’t see someone kneeling, they would all remain until every recorded offense was acknowledged.“

Caren continued Jill's thoughts and observations. “The only solution we had was just to kneel regardless. Half of the time none of us really was certain who the guilty one was. Should any one of us have acknowledged such an offense?” 

Karin had a way to know when and how cut to the quick for healing purposes. “As long as no one began to believe they had committed the offense, it was okay. I would imagine if someone were in that environment monthly, they might grow to believe they had committed the offense they admitted to, in their act of kneeling.”

I reluctantly admitted I had been affected. “I was making myself a little crazy, wondering if I were the only one who should have been on his knees, and everyone else could have remained on their bench. 

“I am heartened how we all hit the floor on our knees when an infraction was announced so none of us felt alone, and it assuaged the Abbot’s Draconian ways, an allusion to Draco, the 7th century intolerant lawmaker of Athens.”

“Oh, Madeline, ever the writer. I am relieved to hear someone say that the Chapter of Faults also impacted them.” Cyndy let out a long sigh.

“Oh, I’m so glad you two are saying that.” said Somara.

“Somara, I think you speak for the rest of us.” Mary Jo’s words were followed by several ‘yes’...’yes’...’yes.’  

Everyone looked to Karin for a solution, as she gazed toward the white puffy clouds and scratched her head, whispering, “Oh, boy.”





Madeline is the narrator

Cordelia was the dishwasher and invited her to accompany her to England

Somara was the bookkeeper for the Monastery

Cyndy was the shepherd for 4 sheep

Jill tended to the hens and chicken & the flower gardens

Caren was a potter for the monastery in a separate building

Mary Jo was in charge of the appearance of the chapel

Karin was a counselor to the distressed brothers but was exposed and expelled for deceiving authorities


Nada is slang for 'zero.'

Cut to the quick is an idiom for revealing a painful area of thought or memory

A set is the name for the group that came into the monastery the same year
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Liz O'Neill All rights reserved.
Liz O'Neill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.