General Fiction posted July 30, 2022 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The Sperm Donor (Fiction)

A chapter in the book Tales of our Times

Scroll Down

by zanya


"Jake, did you ever consider it?" Doug asked.

"Consider what, Dad?" Jake asked, reaching for his can of cool beer.

"Fathering a child".

Jake flinched a little at the direct question from his dad.

Now that his dad, Doug, was soon to be an octogenarian, Jake wanted to spend more time with him. Jake's Chip company was running successfully online since the pandemic, so he wasn't in office everyday.

Regaining his composure, Jake smiled and replied nonchalantly,

"Bit late for that now dad at fifty -seven, don't you think? Task for a younger man."

"With all your women, Jake, you should at least have made provision for an heir. You're a wealthy man and no one to share it."

"What brought this on Dad?" Jake asked, getting slightly irritated.

"Documentary on late night Channel about men who left fatherhood late but still managed to produce an heir. Sperm Donor, they call it. Didn't exist in my day. Back then you almost always knew where you planted your seed. Or at least you hoped so."

As Jake placed his beer can on the patio table, his hand shook a little.

"Do those kids get to meet their dads?" Doug persisted
.
"Dunno, "Jake answered.

Glancing at his father's frail figure in the wicker chair, Doug felt a pang of nostalgia. His dad was once captain of the cricket team. The pair loved their Saturday outings to the local cricket grounds. Without those father/son outings during his growing up years Jake would never have known the joy of playing for his county.

Jake knew it was now or never. He might not get another opportunity.

"You think it's a good idea, Dad, to father a child you may never see?"

"Sure," Doug answered,' leastways you've contributed to the human race."

" D-a-d," Jake stammered "Dad, I've already contributed to the human race."

"With your company investment,maybe?"

"Not just that," Jake answered.

The wicker chair creaked as Doug turned around to look his middle-aged son in the eye.

"You've fathered a child, eh? With some well-heeled woman approaching menopause?,"

'No, Pop, not at all. With some anonymous female somewhere on the planet. But not just one female. I've lost count how many."

Silence reigned briefly between them. Doug leaned forward in his wicker chair, wringing his hands, gnarled with age.

"Scores of heirs, eh Jake? How does that work? How do you buy birthday gifts for them all?"

Jake took out his phone and scrolled down.

"Dad" he said," I do have one son with whom I stay connected. He's twenty now and was orphaned at two when his Mom passed away. He was raised by his step- father."

"Can we go visit him? He's my grandson. Would make an old man happy," Doug said.

Doug struggled to stand upright.

"You know where he lives, of course, don't you?" Doug asked.

"Yes, but..."

"But what? An old man can't visit his grandson, his own flesh and blood?"

"Not really, Pop. You see my legal agreement states that visits are confined to a meeting once every five years. I've already visited Doug this year. So, there can't be another meeting for five years."

"Doug, did you say Doug? Named him after his old Poppy, eh?"

A tear rolled down Doug's cheek.

Jake felt the world he had so carefully constructed around himself begin to unravel.

He began to regret mentioning Doug Jr, the result of his very first donation to the sperm bank. Back then, he was excited at the prospect of producing an heir, though he wasn't yet ready to play an active Dad role.

 
As his company prospered and his days were busy, he finally opted for the anonymous donor category.

'You have a photo?" Doug asked.

Jake handed the phone to his dad, to take a look at the handsome young man with tousled hair and a big happy grin.

Doug stared at length at the photo, refreshing the screen.

"God dammit," he muttered. "My grandson looking back at me through a phone screen. No hope of me giving him a warm grandpa hug. I probably won't be around, Jake, for the next visit in five years. Time is catching up with me."

Jake took his father's hands in his own and looked deep into his father's eyes.

Words were simply inadequate.
                                                                                     *****************************














 



The Sperm Donor contest entry


Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. zanya All rights reserved.
zanya has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.