General Fiction posted July 23, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Door Slammed

Roommates Forever

by Wils

The Door Slammed Contest Winner 








The door slammed, echoing down the long hall.

I like to think of it as a door. The fact that I can see through these bars is a minor technicality. Down the passage I hear another slamming of a door and can imagine the night guard stomping away, his keys jangling, as he completes another cell sweep.

My roommate and I have been housed together at this facility for approximately six months. He came to me scared, fragile, pathetic and not a lot has changed. There was a time when I would beat the crap out of him just for the sport, but years in here have told me he’s not worth the effort.

I look over at him, crouched in the lavatory corner of our living room, no doubt thinking his life should be flushed. I recognise the signs, the sweating, the biting of the fingernails and finally the pacing. I wish I could talk him out of it. As pathetic as he may be I have grown to like the guy.

You would think they would do something to prevent this. But no. Like others before him he is checking his knots. I will admit, he is clever. I wouldn’t have thought to use dental floss.

They all have this naïve idea that it will be better on the other side. Believe me, it ain’t. I wish I could tell him that. Tell him that he will spend eternity wandering the prison passageways. Still, it will be nice to have someone to talk to around here for a change.

 


Writing Prompt
Write a story that starts with this sentence: The door slammed, echoing down the long hall.

Don't add to the sentence. The catch is this must be flash fiction. So the story should be between 100 and 1,000 words.

The Door Slammed
Contest Winner
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wils All rights reserved.
Wils has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.