Fantasy Fiction posted July 15, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A cold hearted friend

My New Pet

by Cass Carlton


I decided to get myself a new pet,
So off to the shops I went.
There were guinea pigs, dogs,tame rats and green frogs
But nothing that stirred my intent.

I thought I might wait for an auspicious date
To choose my newfound friend
Perhaps a black cat with a face like a bat
Would win out in the end

A strange yellow bird shrieking profanous word
Engaged my attention a while
But I soon would weary of its language uncheery
And passed it by with a smile

Then, up on a shelf all quite by itself
Lay an emu -sized egg in a bowl
i asked him "How much?" But he answered,"Don't touch
Or you never again will be whole."

I knew in a flash that this my cash
On that cold rainy morning would bring
Back home it came And I gave it a name
Bismark Long tail, of dragons a king.

Now I'm telling you a dragon's egg blue
Is not for the feeble faint hearted
Because, when it hatches one sight your face catches
You never more will be parted.

So now, we're an item. I've no need to fight 'em
Because rats and vermin have vanished
He'll eat them for lunch, on cockroaches munch
When to the cellar he's banished.

No-one else knows how Longtail goes
Through the clouds when the moon is high
He fears to be seen, for what would it mean
To have dragons appear in the sky?

Before I forget, he's with me and yet
In his eyes are traces of tears
For when I am gone he'll be alone
To face the next five hundred years.

But, he's nothing to fear, a strange elixir
I have taken to make me immortal
Fine and foul weather we'll face together
Until we pass through Death's final portal.

***********************************************
















My Pet contest entry


I have often thought that having a dragon for a pet would be rather marvellous.
Now, all my pets ( mostly cats) have crossed the "Rainbow Bridge" it's left to my imagination to think of a special "friend" to keep me company.
Introducing Bismark Longtail Dinosaurus Rex.
A 12 metre long, silver scaled, winged dragon.
For those not schooled in dragon lore, here are a few facts about dragons, their habits and upkeep.

They are telepathic, but have the power of speech.
A dragon will always address its egg imprinted person as "Master" or "Mistress" and will defend that person to the death, if need be.
Diet; Rats, mice and other small animals.
NB warning to cat owners.
Dragons are afraid of cats and can become panic stricken if they smell one nearby.
Dragons don't like dogs very much, but will put up with one for the sake of his Master.
Dragons can fly from birth, but don't usually begin flight until they're about three feet long with well formed, strong wings.
Dragons can live as long as 1,000 years, but the usual life span is 300 to 500 years.
Most dragons can breathe fire, although they are unable to summon up enough energy until they are old enough to fly.
All dragons can become invisible at will , remaining unseen for an hour or more.
A dragon's talent for shrinking itself to fit into a human sized house has been a Godsend for dragon keepers world wide. The one that lives in the Taj Mahal and the family of black scaled ebony cloud scooters residing in the Hagia Sofia in Istanbul, don't have to worry about space, but they spend a great deal of time invisible.
A human's life span is not long enough for a dragon to really get to know their Keeper, so there is an Elixir available for dragon keepers to take which will lengthen their lives by several hundred years. It is reversable, but there is a lot of ceremony and flame bowing involved,so one does need to be sure in the mind of what they're doing.
Some species aren't fire breathers, but water witches. They live in rivers and lakes and other land-locked water courses. They are the longest living dragons. The record having been set at 1249 years, six months and five days by a Primitive Aqua Maleficorum. It was never caught and trained and died out in the wilds when its lake dried up during a drought.The local tribes people had records going back to the year it was discovered. The people have moved to a lake near an active volcano in the hope of finding another dragon to watch over them.
To be "under a dragon's wing" is regarded as a huge blessing and the tribes -people long to have such protection again.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Cass Carlton All rights reserved.
Cass Carlton has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.