Spiritual Non-Fiction posted June 8, 2022 Chapters:  ...39 40 -41- 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Modern Babyon

A chapter in the book Sea Of Galilee

Sea Of Galilee #41

by Brett Matthew West


In previous chapters, I have presented information about:

Chapter 37: Babylon - The World's First 200,000+ Citizens City
Chapter 38: First Babylonian Empire
Chapter 39: Old Babylon
Chapter 40: Neo-Babylonian Empire

This chapter deals with Modern Babylon.

I will conclude my Babylon series with Chapter 42: Babylon's Biblical Narrative.


******************************
******************************


Conducted by field research, and completed in the 18th Century in service to Denmark, German Cartographer and Explorer Carsten NIebuhr's maps of the Babylonian region are regarded as the singlemost significant addition to the cartography of the area.

From 1899 to 1917, the village of Qwaresh, and its 200 households, that were located inside the ancient inner city walls of Babylon, grew because of the need for workers for the German Oriental Society's excavations. Their primary focus was on the Temple of Marduk, the city wall, and the Processional Way that led to the temple.

Since the creation of Iraq in 1921, Babylon has been considered a cultural asset. Babylonian images have appeared on Iraq's postcards and stamps on several occasions. In the 1960s, the Iraqis built a replica of the Ishtar Gate and the Ninmakh Temple on their ancient sites.

Under Saddam Hussein, on February 14, 1978, Iraq began the Archaeological Restoration of Babylon Project. This effort reconstructed the Southern Palace of Nebuchadnezzar and 250 of its rooms. In addition, there were 5 courtyards, and a 30-meter high entrance arch, built. This project's work reinforced the Processional Way, an amphitheater from the Hellenistic Era, and the Lion of Babylon, a stone sculpture more than 2600 years old. Seven coins of iconic Babylonian features were also minted.

In the 1980s, Saddam Hussein removed the village of Qwaresh and displaced its citizens. He constructed a palace in the area he called Saddam Hill, in the pyramidal ziggurat style, over some of the ruins.

Following the 2003 US invasion of Iraq, the Babylonian area came under the control of US troops, then was turned over to Polish forces. The US built Camp Alpha, a helipad, and other facilities on Ancient Babylonian ruins. This caused irreparable damage to the archaeological record of the area, including the Ishtar Gate.

In 2005, the Poles turned Babylon over to the Iraqi Ministry of Culture. They planned to restore Babylon and convert the area into a cultural center.

On July 5, 2019, the area of Babylon was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Coincidently, the word "Babylon" posseses the generic meaning of a large and bustling diverse city.

Next Time: Sea Of Galilee #42: Babylon's Biblical Narrative




Lion, by suzannethompson2, selected to complement my posting.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by suzannethompson2 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.