General Non-Fiction posted May 25, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Stephen Minister's Devotional

Spiritual Bankruptcy

by John Cranford


In 1887 Alexander Tytler, a Scottish history professor at the University of Edinburgh, had this to say about the fall of the Athenian Republic some 2,000 years prior:

"A democracy is always Temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent Form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse over loose fiscal policy, (which is) always followed by a Dictatorship."

"The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

From bondage to spiritual faith;
From spiritual faith to great courage;
From courage to liberty;
From liberty to abundance;
From abundance to complacency;
From complacency to apathy;
From apathy to dependence;
From dependence back into bondage."

Professor Joseph Olson of the Hamline University School of Law in St. Paul, Minnesota, who quoted Alexander Tytler back in 2012, said it doesn't hurt to read this several times. He believed at that time the United States was somewhere between the "complacency and apathy" phase of Professor Tytler's definition of Democracy, with some forty percent of the nation's population already having reached the "governmental dependency" phase.

Scripture Verse: Hosea 13:6 (NIV): "When I fed them, they were satisfied; when they were satisfied, they became proud; then they forgot me."

Scripture Verse: Psalm 85:6: "Wilt thou not revive us again that thy people may rejoice in thee?"

If what Alexander Tytler and Professor Olson say is true, during the course of this Country's history we have descended morally from a nation rooted in spiritual faith to one of complacency and apathy, where our dependency lies with the government and no longer with God. In many corners of our country, God no longer has a place in our society.

In the wake of the most recent school shooting in Florida, this was best captured on a T-shirt that read: "Dear God, why do You allow this violence in our school? Signed: A concerned student." God's reply: "Dear concerned student, I'm not allowed in your school. Signed: God." God has been systematically removed from our government, our schools and the public square. We're currently in danger of losing our religious freedoms, the very fabric that made this Country, under God, great.

A similar concern is voiced in the following quotes from Jewish Rabbi Jonathan Cahn in his most recent book "The Paradigm." He said "A political answer cannot solve a spiritual problem. But it can open a window through which that answer can come. On the other hand, a political turning without a corresponding spiritual turning will end up in failure or calamity. As for the desire to make America great again, the only way America can be great again is for America to return to God who made America great in the first place. The answer is in repentance, return and revival." Page 222.

"In the days when a nation becomes radically immoral, the moral will appear to be radical... A civilization that sees evil as good will then see good as evil. So those who in times past would have been looked upon as heroes and role models will then be seen as enemies of the state." Page 228.

"We must use every moment to the best of our abilities for the will and purposes of God. We must make the most of the days we have. For we will not always have them." Page 224.

"When the dark goes increasingly darker, it is then that the light must go increasingly bright. When evil goes from bad to worse, the righteous must go from good to great." Page 231.

"America stands at a crossroads. We have come to a most critical moment. As Elijah stood on Mount Carmel and cried out to Israel in its hour of decision, in between two altars and two gods, his voice now cries out to America and says to us, 'Choose you this day whom you shall serve.'" Page 233.

It's time for America to choose.

In the aftermath of the school shooting; during a demonstration I saw a sign that read: "Sometimes thoughts and prayers are not enough." If that's true, if we truly think that prayer is not enough, then we're saying God is a fraud. We're saying God can't do what He says He will, He's not there when we need Him. Looking back over my life, He's always been there when I've needed Him most. He never left me even when I wandered away from Him. I can't imagine a day without prayer; it's enough; it's more than enough; sometimes it's all we have...

My Prayer: Heavenly Father, it seems as if this Country is going the wrong way. It seems to be on a path leading away from You when it needs You NOW more than ever. It's inconceivable that we could reach a point in America where evil is good and good evil, but we seem to be fast approaching that point if we're not already there. In some corners, belief in You is considered a fantasy or a mental illness. We're approaching, and in some cases have reached, a time when Christians are not only being shunned and ridiculed but persecuted for their beliefs. Dear Lord, as Your righteous people, help us turn this "Ship of State" around and begin the journey back to You. Help us make the most of the days we have for they ARE limited. Let us share with others the knowledge of Your saving grace and the redeeming power of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Let His life-saving light shine increasingly bright in an ever-darkened world, and most of all, Lord, let us spread the good news that Jesus is on His way. As our modern-day Elijah and Your good and faithful servant Billy Graham always preached, Revive us again...and give us Hope. It's in Christ's name we pray, Amen.

This devotional is not the typical devotional. It's not the one I'd planned to give but it's the one I feel we need to hear. The one I'd planned to give doesn't seem relevant right now. Unless you've been living under a rock recently, you've heard about the struggles this country is going through in the aftermath of the Florida School shooting. I get frustrated when I hear the political rhetoric and finger-pointing with no real attempt to discuss the root causes of our problems and how to solve them. This is what this devotional is about.

Since it doesn't pertain to the Stephen Ministry, I was concerned about its appropriateness for this meeting. I sought the advice of an old friend who doesn't hesitate to tell me when I've gone off the rails, which I do quite often. After reading it, she responded: "If your aim is to give a 'nice little uplifting devotional' then you have failed miserably. But, if your aim is to give a 'meaningful, timely, thought-provoking devotional,' then I believe you have prepared just the right one! If you believe that God has put this Devotional on your heart, then give it all you have, and He will do the rest."





Non-Fiction Writing Contest contest entry

Recognized


I prepared the above devotional for a Stephen Ministry meeting four years ago in the aftermath of an horrific school shooting in Parkland, Florida. I'm posting it on this site because of a similar and equally horrific school shooting that took place yesterday in Uvalde, Texas. When God's most precious gift, our children, are taken from us, we struggle to answer the question...why? This devotional is not my attempt at answering that question. I can't. But we can reach out to the One who CAN change the world and, in the process, the hearts and souls of men so that such evil actions will no longer occur. This is my prayer.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. John Cranford All rights reserved.
John Cranford has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.