General Fiction posted May 12, 2022 Chapters:  ...25 26 -27- 28... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Madeline is becoming friends with one in a different set

A chapter in the book The Tor

A Particular Friendship

by Liz O'Neill



Background
The monks are working outside and getting to know each other better. Madeline wonders why she cares.

Previously: Madeline, who has portaled into the 16th century is now a monk called Samuel. She is slowly identifying her new friends from the 21st century as they spend time in cottages with others who are taking harp therapy lessons. 

*********
People might be wondering why I care who’s who in the 16th century.  I sometimes wonder, too.  I think at one time I knew why it matters, but it is all too quickly fading.

As I said earlier when we were in the car, I’m wondering if some of this is like the movie ‘Close Encounters’ where people, who were somehow connected, were pulled to the same location, in this case, the harp therapy course, to experience the energies summoning them there.

The common reactions to the Town of Glastonbury are a red flag for me. I had earlier, thought it was a stretch, that maybe, we were in a past life together. 

The problem is, I am the only one of us who has been to the future, and has unwillingly returned to the past. I know I can’t start talking with them about the future as if I’ve been there, like the talk heard on some science fiction show on television.

People do talk of a recognition of someone they are sure was with them in a past life, but rarely speak of meeting them again in the future. I best not broach any such topic. 

So here I am, forming strange friendships, in the 15th century with people, whom I have grown quite close to, in a surprisingly short time, in the 21st century.

*****

This day, I am working with Justin, a senior brother, yet again. We are developing a nice relationship, even though we aren’t supposed to. Everyone else is tending to some other task. 

John is minding our five sheep. We’ll eventually have to help him shear them for wool before he teaches us how to prepare clumps of their coats, to be made into yarn. 

With his skill using whale bones, shaped like quills, there will be knitted cowls and capes and pairs of Coptic socks – a roughly shaped garment to fit the foot for thongs or sandals for us. After that, he will gift us with yummy warm mittens.

He’s in good company. Several paintings were done that portray Mary, the mother of Jesus, while she was knitting. It was called The Knitting Madonnas.

It’s something John must have learned here in the 16th century before entering the monastery. Funny, I don’t think about each brother’s past in this lifetime, having no idea of who they were, only their future lifetime. 

I remember Cyndy in the 21st century telling me of heritage stories about sheep herding, on her mother’s side of the family. The maternal grandparents were from Isle of Sheppey. I think it was also named Sheep Island. Sounds like sheep herding runs in her blood.

Cyndy brought her knitting with her in the 21st century to knit mittens for her grandchildren. Those were easier to pack than the knitted blankets she’s working on for them.  She said it relaxed her to knit. She was needing to keep those harp fingers limber.

I believe John will eventually be reborn into the 21st Century in the United States as a girl named Cyndy. 

Of course, Sylvester is inside working on the books. Joseph is in decorating the chapel and Francis is tending the flowers for Joseph to place in specific areas in the chapel on Sundays and holy days. Now I know why Patrick isn’t ever in our work crew.

Abraham is off to the side ‘counseling’ another brother, whom I do not know well. I can’t help but notice, watching the other brother’s arms flailing, they are having a spirited exchange. 

There must have been some issue that stirred him up. It’s a good thing Abraham is around for us. We have someone we know who can be trusted, who makes no judgment.

I can’t imagine how many rumbles there might be if he weren’t here. Maybe this is why there are no swords or knives allowed near the beds. If pressure built up too much…

They would definitely need James to attend to them. He seems to have a knowledge of medicine, injuries, and healthy behaviors. I think Prior Richard has him stay inside in case any of us get injured or sick.  

Abraham is not going anywhere, as long as he doesn’t get caught or reported. It is okay for brothers in the same set to talk in moderation, but I’m afraid this counseling everyday, while others cover for him would not be looked upon favorably.

That could mean a mass penance for all involved. Hmmm. That would be everyone in our set. I shudder to imagine what that might amount to or look like.

 

I, too, am in denial about the risks I’m running. I am just supposed to be silently working, basically disregarding the risk I’m taking deepening my friendship with Justin, who is in the set a year ahead of me.

I feel it is a setup, to assign guys from different sets to work together for a week and not expect them to develop a strong friendship.

It would be called a Particular Friendship, which I think is rooted in homophobia. When men are forbidden to be with each other for simple social exchanges, it can be perceived as a challenge to see how much they can get away with. 

This is human nature expressing itself, however, anyone caught fraternizing, is subject to severe penance or even expulsion. 

Contrary to the Abbot Richard’s fear, it is not a gay relationship, and try as he may, he cannot deter the ones that might develop into something more. It is just a hungering for a friend, for some personal connection. But it is forbidden, like the proverbial ‘forbidden fruit’.

*****

It is the two of us digging potatoes, providing plenty of time to get to know each other. No one will report us. Justin tells me a little about himself. He’d been cast out of his family because they caught him with another man alone in a bedroom and dumped him in this Monastery. 

I, of course, don’t have anything to say about why I’m here. It must appear strange to Justin when I present myself as a mystery man.    





'Close Encounters' is referring to the 1977 movie called
'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'
https://www.amazon.com/Close-Encounters-Third-Original-Version/dp/B009QK4CZE

A set is the name for the group that came into the monastery the same year
Justin a monk from a previous set, to Samuel, forbidden to talk with anyone out of his set.

Reactions to the Town of Glastonbury, Madeline refers to are addressed in Ch. 18

John is Cyndy

Sylvester is Somara

Joseph is Mary Jo

Francis is Jill

Patrick is Caren

Alexander is Karin

James is unidentified as yet

Patrick is Caren

Abbot Richard is also titled Brother, or Prior as head monk of the monastery

A Particular Friendship is a friendship forbidden between two monks from different sets

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Liz O'Neill All rights reserved.
Liz O'Neill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.