General Fiction posted May 3, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A neighborhood's attitude makes a young girl vulnerable

Jennifer

by ADanmole


White people are always alright, the adults tell us. So, no one worries too much about Jennifer. She’ll be all right. They always are. Too bad her clothes are tattered and her frame thin. Sometimes, we give our lunch leftovers to her when we see her on our way home. She is always walking at all hours of the day and night. No one knows where she lives, but it’ll be okay. She’ll get her chance because they always do. Her chance will come in the form of a warm truck at the end of highway fifty-five at two a.m. during an unseasonably cold January.  Some years later, we’re sure she’ll sign our copies of her latest book, or we’ll see her on a TV show and know she got her chance. The adults were right, as usual. We never did catch that nighttime news bulletin about the missing girl.




Flash Fiction contest entry


The First Milestone
This authors first post!
A Milestone Post
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. ADanmole All rights reserved.
ADanmole has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.