Biographical Poetry posted April 30, 2022 Chapters:  ...28 29 -30- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
NaPoWriMo 30 - A Sonnet

A chapter in the book Highlights of Home

Epilogue

by Mama Baer


An Epilogue

____________________


My parents bought this home so long ago
it all went by so fast, or so it seems.
Five kids, one dog, some cats, seem now like dreams
but mem’ries are replete and overflow.
We filled the yard, the rooms, with love and life.
The grandkids and the greats remember, too.
And now, the hands of time we can’t undo.
Dad died; home sold to lessen Mother’s strife.
 
Now change is nigh. I fight to hold back tears.
New feet out on the porch and pebble path
and different clothes will ride the laundry chute. 
It’s good to see Mom happy. My heart cheers.
Head clearer now, I see in aftermath,
these mem’ries serve me as a substitute!

____________________


 




Thank you so much for joining me on this final tour of my family home. My mother told my siblings and me early on that, to avoid drama, she would not sell to any family member. So, here we are. It was therapeutic for me to record my memories, try my hand at some fun poetry forms, and be cheered on by so many of you.

Here's to moving forward.

I learned so much about sonnets and tried my best.

Originating in Italy, the sonnet comes from the Italian word sonetto, meaning "little song" or "little sound." The oldest known sonnet form was invented by Italian poet Francesco Petrach in the 14th century. Called the Petrarchan or Italian sonnet, this sonnet structure consists of first an octave (eight lines of verse in iambic pentameter) and then a sestet (six lines). The rhyme scheme is abba abba; the rhyme scheme in the sestet can vary a little but is typically cde cde or cdc dcd.

In terms of themes, these days sonnets are most often associated with themes of love and romance, though topics such as death, time, and faith are not uncommon.

In a sonnet, the volta is the turn of thought or argument: in Petrarchan or Italian sonnets it occurs between the octave and the sestet.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mama Baer All rights reserved.
Mama Baer has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.