Supernatural Science Fiction posted April 10, 2022 Chapters:  ...108 109 -110- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Love Conquers All/Pt. two

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my last chapter. I've enjoyed sharing with you! If you catch typos of mistakes, please let me know. I hope you enjoy!
Previously. . .

“Oh my,” came a bubbly voice. “I’m so happy, I could cry.”

Roman and Lailah turned toward the voice just as Drakon’s very pregnant wife reached out to embrace Roman, then Lailah.

“Thank you, Cassie.” Lailah pulled away, her eyes glancing down at Cassie’s rounded belly. “So, have you decided on a name yet?” 

“Since we’re almost positive it’s a girl,” Cassie began, “Drakon and I have decided to name her Sara Eloise.”

“That’s a beautiful name,” praised Lailah. “I’m curious. Where did you come up with the names?”

“Sara is after my adoptive mother,” said Cassie, “and Eloise is Drakon’s mother. But we’ll probably call her Ella for short.”

“I love the idea,” said Roman. “I’m sure Drakon can’t wait—”

“Oh, no…” Cassie gasped, placing a hand over her belly, feeling a deep pressure in her lower abdomen, followed by a sudden gush of fluid between her legs. “M-My water just broke.”

Continued. . .

Cassie didn’t remember much about being rushed to the Covenant’s examination room, except for the persistent pressure in her lower abdomen and Drakon, who was right by her side, holding her hand. “Don’t worry, honey,” he reassured. “You’re in good hands. Everything is going to be just fine.”

Then, Dr. Helen Carrington and Kathryn Hobbs appeared as Drakon gently transferred Cassie onto a padded examination table. The two ladies had already changed out of their evening gowns and were wearing scrubs. Since Kathryn was a nurse, Helen was grateful Manuel had brought her to Roman and Lailah’s wedding. In emergencies like these, Helen had always counted on Cassie for assistance due to her profession as a nurse practitioner, specializing in the neonatal intensive care unit at the Bates Hospital. But this time, she was the patient. 
 
Helen reached down and took hold of Cassie’s hand. “You ready for this?”

Cassie exhaled a deep breath and managed a tight smile. “Ready as ever.”

Helen nodded and averted her eyes toward Drakon. “How’s Daddy doing? You ready to meet your daughter?”

Drakon smiled at Helen. “I’m fine.” Then, he peered down at Cassie and lightly squeezed her hand. “And I can’t wait to meet my little girl.”

“My contractions…” Cassie groaned, “…are really starting to kick in.”

“All right,” said Helen, placing her free hand on Cassie’s belly. “Let’s see how far you’re dilated.”
     
Drakon remained by Cassie’s side, his fingers intertwined with hers while Helen did an examination and Kathryn did a quick blood pressure check.

Drakon leaned down and kissed Cassie’s forehead. “I love you,” he said in a voice that cracked. “So much.”

Cassie’s eyes snapped in his direction. “I love you, too.” She squeezed his hand. “Don’t worry. I’ve got this.”

Helen came back into view. “Well, you’re fully dilated. You ready to push this baby out?”

With her face scrunched painfully, Cassie bobbed her head and gritted out, “Ready.” 
   
As time seemed to tick by at an agonizing pace, Drakon was relieved to finally hear Helen say, “Okay, I’ve got her.”

“I-Is she okay?” asked Carrie.

Before Helen could reply, the sound of wailing brought attention to everyone in the room.

As Helen held up baby Ella, she continued to cry, and so did Carrie, tears of joy. A moment later, Helen handed the baby over to Kathryn and said, “That’s definitely the sound of a healthy baby.”

Kathryn quickly wiped off the baby, and when she wrapped the tiny infant into a warm blanket, her crying calmed. She handed the small bundle to Drakon first and said, “She’s beautiful. Congratulations you two.” 

Drakon cradled the newborn, carefully supporting her head. “Happy birthday, sweet-pea,” he whispered, cherishing this precious moment. Then he looked over at Cassie, smiling broadly. “She’s perfect.”

As Cassie reached out, Drakon gently placed the baby into her arms. And when baby Ella opened her eyes and looked up at her mother with the deepest blue eyes, Cassie’s expression beamed. “Oh, Drakon…” Her voice trembled. “She has your eyes.”

Baby Ella cooed, and that’s when Drakon lost it. He wiped at the tears with the back of his hand as they began to trickle down his cheeks.

“Don’t worry,” said Helen, offering Drakon a tissue. “This place is a little like Las Vegas.” She chuckled. “What goes on here, stays here. So go on. Cry all you want.”  
 
“Thanks Helen.” He took the tissue and wiped at his eyes. As his gaze drifted back down, the sight of their daughter nestled lovingly in her mother’s arms tugged at his heart. More tears came, but he didn’t care. This was the happiest moment of his life. That’s when he made a promise to God and himself. Every single day he awoke, he’d say a prayer of thanks that he’d found redemption, and another chance at true love.

The End

To all my beloved readers: A special thanks to all who have supported me here, gave me helpful advice, and just took the time to read my Novels of the Breedline sereis. This will be my sixth book in the series, and I have much more to come. I will be taking a break here (but will continue to read your posts)to revise my first two books and continue with the seventh novel in the series, LIVING NIGHTMARES. All my books are available on Amazon, B&N, or wherever books are sold online. For signed copies, visit my website at shanacongrove.com

See you soon!
Big hugs,
Shana Congrove      

 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends his life searching for their bonded mate. When two Breedline species experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. The bond is for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil.

Lailah - She was murdered at age seventeen and joined God's battle angels. Years later, after giving her immortality to save another, she was granted her human life back. She is Detective Manuel Sanchez's sister and bonded to Roman Kincaid.

Battle angels - Their one purpose for existence is to serve the Creator in the war against demons and evil havoc on earth. The battle angels are unlike any of the Creator's angels. The indigenous battle angels, on average, stand ten feet tall, although a few towers to the height of twelve feet with a more muscular build. Tattooed with unique warrior markings, the black-winged warriors are suited with armor typical of ancient heroes, and they wield a type of sword associated with a long-gone empire. They are the bravest of angels, who consider only the importance of their mission, and are perfectly willing to give their life in the service of righteousness. Gifted with special powers, they fight against the dark side. They are particularly fond of the human race and consider themselves humanity's special protectors.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species and bonded to Cassie Chamberlain.

Cassie Chamberlain - Adopted at age two by Jace and Jem's adoptive parents after her mother abandons her. Later, she discovers she is a Breedline species and bonds with the handsome Drakon Hexus. She is a nurse practitioner, specializing in the neonatal intensive care unit.

Dr. Helen Carrington - She is a Breedline species and a physician at the California Bates Hospital for both Breedlines and humans. She later bonds to Alexander Crest.

Kathryn Hobbs - She is a Breedline, and a nurse at the California Bates Hospital. She is dating Detective Manuel Sanchez.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.