Supernatural Science Fiction posted April 4, 2022 Chapters:  ...107 108 -109- 110 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Love Conquers All

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. It's almost finished! If you notice mistakes, please let me know. I hope you enjoy!
Four months later . . . 
 
As Roman and Lailah said their vows, promising to love and cherish one another till death do them part, the minister continued to proceed with the ceremony. The moment he pronounced the happy couple as husband and wife, Roman bent his head and kissed his beautiful bride.

The crowd surrounding them, consisting of family and friends, instantly erupted into applause. When the kiss lingered a bit longer than expected, Roman’s best men cheered and Jace gave his approval with a high-pitched whistle.

Finally, as the newlyweds pulled from their embrace and turned to face their guests, they started to make their way down the aisle, hand in hand.   

Immediately, they were greeted with compliments and congratulations, passed from one loving embrace to another.

They were halfway down the aisle when they saw Tessa and Tim standing together. On cue, both waved and smiled at them. Like everyone else, they were dressed formally, Tim in a sleek, black, Brioni suit, looking like James Bond, and Tessa had on the most elegant lavender gown that accentuated her already slim figure.  

“Look at you,” said Tessa, extending her arms out to Lailah. “You’re absolutely stunning.”

Lailah, who wore a strapless, flowing classic white bridal gown with lace floral details, picked up her skirting and met her with a hug. “Thank you, Tessa.”

As Tim and Roman shook hands, Tim said, “I couldn’t be happier for you both.”

“The same goes for me,” said Tessa, pulling away from Lailah. “You two make a perfect couple.” Then she focused on Roman’s spectacular attire. “You look dashing.” She held out her arms. “Come here, I have to hug you too.”

Roman hugged her instantly, as he, or anyone for that matter, was incapable of denying the Breedline queen anything, especially a hug. It was an honor just to be in her presence.  
    
The second Lailah came upon her brother’s outstretched arms, her face lit up with a smile. When she moved closer, Manuel grinned broadly, looking her over from head to toe before tugging her into his arms. “You’re too beautiful for words. Congratulations, Sis. I’m so happy for you.”

“Thank you, Manuel,” she said, squeezing his neck.

As they hugged, Lailah blinked tears, recalling childhood memories. Even though she was the oldest of the two, Manuel had always looked after her like a big brother. He was like her shadow, always watching over her, protecting her. She regretted not being able to see him grow into the man he is today. And deep down, she knew he’d blamed himself for her death. It pained her to know he’d carried that guilt for so many years. But now that her mortal life had been graciously restored by the hand of God, they could let go of the past. Although she’d been honored to have served as one of His chosen battle angels, she was ready for a new beginning. Ready to make up for lost time.
                    
When Manuel pulled back, he reached up and tucked a loose strand of her long, red hair behind her ear. “I love you, Lailah.”

“I love you too, little brother.”

The moment Roman came forward, Manuel greeted him with an extended hand. “I’m leaving her in your hands now.” He looked at Roman with an arched brow. “I’ll expect you’ll keep her safe.”

“You can count on it,” said Roman, taking Manuel’s hand in a firm shake. “I’ll protect her with my life.”

Manuel nodded, then turned to the pretty blonde standing next to him. “I’d like to introduce someone very special,” he said, his gaze focused on the woman he was falling head over heels for. “This is Kathryn…” He cleared his throat. “My girlfriend.”

Kathryn extended her hand to Lailah. “It’s a pleasure to finally meet you,” she said, smiling. “And congratulations. You look beautiful.”

“Thank you, Kathryn,” said Lailah, shaking her hand. “And yes, it’s wonderful to meet you too.” She quickly shot her brother a look of approval. “We’ll have to do lunch soon.”

“Of course,” said Kathryn. “I’d love to.”

While Kathryn shook Roman’s hand, Frank stepped forward and wrapped his arms around Lailah. “Congratulations, dear heart.”

She hugged him back. “Thank you so much, Frank.”

As Lailah eased back, she caught sight of a young girl who stood next to Frank. Her features appeared familiar as though she’d seen her somewhere before. “I’m sorry,” said Lailah, “but have we meet before?”

Frank put his arm around the girl’s shoulders and pulled her close, noticing how nervous she looked.

“This is my niece,” Frank spoke out, “Carrie Randall.”

“Y-You’re the angel,” muttered Carrie, bowing her head. “The one who saved me.”

In response, Lailah placed a hand over her mouth. “Oh my…” Then she reached for Carrie’s hand. “Please, that’s not necessary.”

Carrie slowly lifted her chin, and when her eyes met Lailah’s, tears trickled down her face. “All my life, I thought I’d only imagined you. But you were real. You are real.”
                 
Lailah smiled. “I thought I recognized you. Although, you were a bit smaller back then. But your eyes…” She lightly squeezed Carrie’s hand. “I could never forget those big brown eyes of yours.”

Carrie smiled back. “Do you remember when I asked if I could go to heaven to be with my parents and you said God needed me here for something important?”

“Yes.” Lailah dipped her head. “I remember.”

“Did I—”

“Yes, Carrie,” said Lailah, releasing Carrie’s hand, then focusing on the handsome young man standing directly behind her. “Joseph needed you. He is your destiny.”   
 
Carrie beamed at Lailah’s answer, and Joseph moved closer with a look of bewilderment stamped all over his face. “H-How did you know my name?”

“God may have mentioned it once,” said Lailah, winking at the couple. “But that’s our little secret,” she added, keeping her voice low.

“I’m just glad I got to see you again,” said Carrie. “And congratulations. Everything is simply beautiful, especially you.”

“Thank you,” said Lailah. “The ladies in the Covenant did all this for us. It reminds me of the Garden of Eden.” She looked up at the large, white canopy that was set up on the backside of the Covenant’s estate. Draped over the arch was a splendor of overflowing garden roses mixed with foliage and varieties of greenery. Twinkling lights glimmered in several trees like thousands of tiny fireflies. There were rows of white satin-draped chairs and colorful flowers that hung in garlands, decorated with satiny, white ribbons. Finally, she shifted her eyes back on Carrie and said, “It’s like a fairytale wedding come true.”

“Congratulations to the both of you,” said Joseph, grinning as Roman approached them. “You’ve got yourself a good guy,” he tacked on, jabbing a thumb in Roman’s direction.

“I completely agree,” murmured Lailah, peering up at Roman with a big smile stretched across her face. “Not to mention very handsome.”

Roman leaned forward and kissed Lailah on the forehead. Then he offered his hand to Joseph. “Thanks buddy. It means a lot that you two came to celebrate our special day.”

Joseph shook his hand. “Thanks for including us.”

“So, how is Jessica fairing?” asked Roman, keeping his eyes on Carrie. “I heard the Covenant gave Ryan permission to reveal his big secret to her.”

“It took her a minute,” said Carrie. “But after it all finally sunk in, she’s accepting the fact that the guy she loves is from an entirely different species who can shift into a wolf.”

“I think they’ll be just fine,” said Joseph. “Besides, when you found out I was possessed by a demon, it didn’t scare you off. Well, at first maybe,” he added with a chuckle.

Carrie arched a brow. “You’ve got a point there. I guess it’s true what they say.”

“And what’s that?” asked Joseph.

“True love conquers all.”

“Yes, it does,” said Joseph, as he reached for Carrie’s hand, intertwining his fingers with hers.

“Congrats, you two,” said Jem as he approached, leaning toward Lailah with his arms extended.

Lailah returned the hug. “Thank you, Jem.”

When Jem pulled away, he offered his hand to Roman. As they shook hands, Jem’s twin brother Jace was next in line to congratulate the couple, followed by Drakon, Nicolas, Bull, Justice, and Roman’s best man, Lawrence. All seven men were acting as Roman’s groomsmen, wearing stylish grey three-piece suits, sporting navy bow ties and pocket squares.

Jena sauntered through the crowd of groomsmen with the rest of Lailah’s bridesmaids in tow which included Lawrence’s wife, Tara, Lila, Abbey, Angel, Lena, and Celina. Their matching white, V-neck chiffon bridesmaid dresses with slits along the thigh and silk navy belt sashes, complimented their youthful figures. After they returned hugs and congratulations, more guests began to form, so the wedding attendants, along with the others who had already congratulated the newlyweds, moved toward the reception area.

Lailah smiled as she took in all the members of the Covenant. As the wedding party mingled, enjoying each other's company, they made her feel like one big, happy family. Of all the couples, only five were married, including her and Roman. Though she could tell by the way the bonded couples looked at one another, it wouldn't be long before they too, were joined in holy matrimony.

So far, Lawrence and his wife Tara, were the only married couple, aside from her and Roman, who hadn't yet produced a child. Jace and Tessa had two adorable, rambunctious twin boys who kept them on their toes. Jem and Mia had a beautiful little girl who went from crawling to running in a remarkable matter of time. Then, there was Drakon and his wife, Cassie who were expecting their first child any day now. And some of the couples who weren't married already bared children. Tim and Angel's daughter, Natalie was the oldest of all the kiddos in the Covenant. She was an adorable toddler who everyone doted on, especially Jace's cat, Buddy. Sebastian and Eve had a set of twin boys who were growing like weeds. Steven and Abbey were the last couple to have a child. Their son, Jonah was the spitting image of his father, just a smaller version.

"The ceremony was absolutely wonderful."

Lailah blinked and looked up to see Dr. Helen Carrington, her eyes wet with tears. Standing next to Helen was her bonded mate, Alexander Crest, who oddly reminded Lailah of the actor who plays the role of Thor.

"Thank you," said Lailah, as Helen and Alexander embraced her.

Roman took turns hugging Eve and Mia as they came by to give their best wishes. It was hard for him to tell the two twin sisters apart. They were both tall with flawless, porcelain skin, crimson eyes, and black hair that hung past their hips. Even their chiffon gowns were similar, except Eve’s was a dusty rose and Mia wore powder blue.

“Oh my,” came a bubbly voice. “I’m so happy, I could cry.”

Roman and Lailah turned toward the voice just as Drakon’s very pregnant wife reached out to embrace Roman, then Lailah.

“Thank you, Cassie.” Lailah pulled away, her eyes glancing down at Cassie’s rounded belly. “So, have you decided on a name yet?” 

“Since we’re almost positive it’s a girl,” Cassie began, “Drakon and I have decided to name her Sara Eloise.”

“That’s a beautiful name,” praised Lailah. “I’m curious. Where did you come up with the names?”

“The first name is after my adoptive mother,” said Cassie, “and the middle name was Drakon’s mothers’ name. But we’ll probably call her Ella for short.”

“I love the idea,” said Roman. “I’m sure Drakon can’t wait—”

“Oh, no…” Cassie gasped, placing a hand over her belly, feeling a deep pressure in her lower abdomen, followed by a sudden gush of fluid between her legs. “M-My water just broke.”  

To be continued. . .  
 
  
         
 
 

 
 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters mentioned in this chapter, especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil. He is bonded to Lailah.

Lailah - She was killed at age seventeen and was chosen as one of God's battle angels. After giving her immortal life to save Nicolas, she was granted her human life back to be with her beloved, Roman.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who late discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast, inherited by the Chiang-Shih demon. His bonded mate is Tessa Fairchild.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood.

Tessa Fairchild (a.k.a. the Breedline Queen) - She was born into the human world and later discovers she's a Breedline. Abandoned by her parents, and raised by her aunt and uncle, Tessa has no knowledge of being born a twin. After she meets Jace, they become bonded mates. During her first change into her Breedline wolf, she shifts into the new Breedline queen.

Mia Blackwood - She is a half-breed and Jem's bonded mate. Abandoned at birth and raised in human foster care, she later finds her identical twin sister, Eve.

Eve - She is a half-breed, and Sebastian's bonded mate.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and the council head of the California Covenant.

Angel - She is a half-breed and Tim's bonded mate.

Dr. Helen Carrington - She is a Breedline species and a physician at the California Bates Hospital for both Breedlines and humans. She later bonds to Alexander Crest.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species and bonded to Cassie Chamberlain.

Cassie Chamberlain - Adopted at age two by Jace and Jem's adoptive parents after her mother abandons her. Later, she discovers she is a Breedline species and bonds with the handsome Drakon Hexus. She is a nurse practitioner, specializing in the neonatal intensive care unit.

Celina Baldolf - She is a Breedline species with the power of a Wiccan, but only practices white witchcraft.

Abbey (a.k.a. Abigail Winthrop) - She inherited the genetics of a Lupa from her mother and is bonded with Steven Craven.

Lila Demont - She is a Breedline, born into a wealthy, prestigious family. She is a lab technician and assists Dr. Helen Carrington with the cure to the Breedline aging process. She later bonds with Casey Barton.

Lawrence Colbert - A Breedline council member of the New Jersey Covenant, trained in military tactics and as a medic who worked alongside Roman Kincaid, the Special Ops team, and the Breedline Covenant to help take down Valkin Steele. He is married to Tara.

Jena McCain - She is an inspiring artist with the ability to speak with the dead. Jena was attacked and bitten by an age-old creature and cursed with a lust for human blood. Now that she is to become the creature and hunt humans, instead of killing innocent people, she will only hunt evil.

Nicolas Ratcliff - He is immortal with the power of invisibility and supernatural speed. He works for the San Francisco Police Department as a detective. He's bonded with Jena McCain.

Carrie Randall - She is Detective Frank Perkin's niece. She works as a substance abuse counselor in Berkeley, California. She has a love interest in Joseph Parker.

Joseph Parker (a.k.a. Joseph Harris) - He works at the San Francisco Chronicle as a freelance journalist. At age five, an evil entity invaded his body after his father murdered his mother. While his father was sent to prison for his crime, Joseph was placed into several foster families until finally forced into a mental institute after diagnosed with schizophrenia and psychopathic behavior. As time passed and with the evil entity's guidance, Joseph was later released into society.

Jessica - She is Carrie's best friend and roommate.

Ryan - He is Jessica's boyfriend.

Bull (a.k.a. Benjamin Allen Calvero) - He is a Breedline, highly trained and an expert in a variety of military tactics, who is part of Roman Kincaid's team. He gets his nickname because of his size.

Justice - He is a Breedline who is part of Roman Kincaid's team. He's highly trained in military tactics, an expert with explosives, hand-to-hand combat, sniper training and is a pilot. He is bonded to Lena.

Lena - She is a Breedline, highly trained in survival skills, martial arts, and anything dealing with weapons, hand-to-hand combat, and hired by Roman Kincaid to help take down Valkin Steele. She oddly resembles the character Xena the Warrior Princess from the '90s television series. She is also Bull's little sister and is bonded to Justice.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.