Supernatural Science Fiction posted March 28, 2022 Chapters:  ...106 107 -108- 109... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

The Unexpected Guests/Pt 5

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. I made a few changes on the previous chapter and added a portion here. If you catch mistakes, please let me know. I hope you enjoy!
Previously. . .
 
It took all Jem’s strength and concentration to search for Carrie’s soul. But all that remained was darkness. Nothing but an empty void.

Jem squeezed his eyes in frustration just before he gave up, and finally lifted his lids. The moment he looked up, tears fell from his eyes. He felt like a failure and shook his head sadly. “I’m sorry, but—”

“I can bring her back,” a voice echoed a short distance away, cutting Jem’s words off.

When everyone looked to the unfamiliar voice, as if by magic, a giant man angel with black wings and dark tattooed symbols covering his arms ducked through the open doorway. He was tall, maybe ten feet, and his shoulder length hair was ink black. He was bare chested with a lean muscular physique and wore tight, black leather pants with matching boots.

Everyone remained speechless, taking in the gigantic angel who stood inside the apartment, his head nearly touching the ceiling. As he straightened and faced the occupants of the room, his eyes zeroed in on a creature sitting on the floor with its back propped up against the wall. It looked like a werewolf, but much bigger. By the blood covering its white fur, and it’s hide ripped in places, it was evident the wolfish creature had been wounded. Instantly, a spark of awareness came to him. He remembered battling with this creature before. But that was a different time. A time when he was evil. Cursed.

When the Beast registered his towering presence, its white hairs quickly retreated into flesh. Bones cracked and reformed. Within seconds, the werewolf was gone, and the naked body of a blond, long-haired male took its place. The bloody, ragged wounds that covered the man’s head and torso began to fade, until finally, they miraculously vanished as though they had never been there.

The sounds of heavy breathing, with the faintest hint of a growl, brought the angels head around. Lying on the other side of the room was a massive creature similar to the white werewolf, except coarse, black fur covered its muscular body. For some strange reason, he sensed the identity of the human beneath the wolfish exterior. He moved closer and dropped into a crouch as the werewolf began its transformation. When the form of a naked woman emerged, silence hung like a shroud, broken only by the pounding beat of his own heart. Time seemed to slow as realization hit him. This was the young woman he had bitten and cursed.

Then, a flicker of his human past came to him suddenly. Memories of their brief, intimate encounter brought forth emotions he’d forgotten. As he stared at her beautiful features, regretting how he’d wronged her, something inside of him twisted and knotted. Shifting back to reality, he reached to a chair that was toppled over and grabbed the crocheted blanket lying over the back cushion. Carefully, he draped it over her bare skin and hovered at her side. His instincts dug deep, driving him to beg her for forgiveness. Before he reached out with his hand to touch her cheek, she opened her eyes and managed a weak smile. “Hello, Ashton.”

He froze for a moment, too shocked to react. Then he regained his senses and smiled back. “Hello, Jena.”

Jena shook her head, refusing the angel’s hand when he offered it. “I forgive you,” she said as though his thoughts had drifted into her mind. “Please, don’t worry about me. I’ll be fine. Go help the girl.”

He nodded and rose to his feet. As he prepared to use his gift to bring Carrie back to the living, he heard a familiar voice call out. “Brother? Is it really you?”

Ashton paused and turned his head. A tall man with purple eyes and ink black hair stood among a group of people who surrounded the body of the dead girl. Lurking close by the others were two hulking wolves and another two-footed, wolfish creature he remembered from not so long ago.

Momentarily, the angel was distracted when a tall man with pale skin and long, jet black hair stepped into his field of vision. The moment Ashton caught sight of his golden eyes; the name Sebastian registered in his mind. Then, like magic, the guy extended his hand and a flash of light appeared out of nowhere. It was like a portal, leading to some unknown destination. As it grew and lengthened, Sebastian motioned for Jena, and the naked, long-haired man to enter. Not long after they disappeared into the opening, a man who looked identical to the long-haired guy, except for the naked part, followed suit. Shortly after, the two hulking wolves shot through. The second Sebastian stepped into the portal, it closed without a trace.
         
Ashton looked away and refocused his attention toward the familiar voice. That’s when he couldn’t believe what he was seeing. The man who had called out to him was indeed his little brother. He looked across at Nicolas and grinned. “Yes, little brother,” he finally said, his words laced with a southern drawl. “It is I… Ashton.” 

When Nicolas moved toward him, Ashton closed the distance with his arms outstretched. As they hugged, Nicolas felt like a child crushed up against his brother’s superhuman size.

Pulling from their embrace, Nicolas looked up, meeting his brother’s gaze, who was now the angel of holy fire, and said, “How did you know to come here?”

Ashton nodded towards the ceiling. “God sent me.”

“To bring the girl back?” asked Nicolas.

Ashton nodded. “It’s not her time.”  

When the angel moved next to Carrie and knelt beside her, Joseph muttered, “W-Who are you?”

The man angel did not answer, but there was a flutter near his back. Joseph and the others surrounding Carrie quickly scrambled back as Ashton’s huge wings began to unfold. As the dark plumage unsheathed to their fullest, they wrapped around Carrie’s limp body, and began to glow.

Joseph looked at Nicolas with a puzzled expression on his face. “What is he doing?”

Nicolas smiled at Joseph and simply said, “He’s saving her.”
 
Continued. . .
 
“Please, God.” Carrie heard Joseph say. “Bring Carrie back to me.”

She could hear the heartache in the tone of his voice, feel his pain. She desperately wanted to open her eyes, to reach out to him, but her eyes would not obey, and her arms felt heavy at her sides. 

Then, as if a miracle, Carrie’s lifeless body began to stir. Her eyelids fluttered, until finally, they opened. Miraculously, her ruined eye had healed, but her vision was a little blurry. It took a few seconds for it to clear, and when she was able to focus, the first thing she saw was… feathers?  

The angel’s expanded wings slowly withdrew from Carrie’s body and then tucked behind his back again. He gently brushed his knuckles against her cheek, and murmured in a soft voice, “Welcome back, Carrie.”

She was mesmerized by the man angel staring down at her. His body was like a giant, but his features were so beautiful, she had to blink a couple of times. Then, distant memories suddenly flashed before her eyes. It was childhood memories of Lailah—the angel who had saved her—and the last day she’d seen her parents alive. After all these years, thinking Lailah had been a silly figment of her imagination, now she truly believed that angels existed and what she’d experienced as a child was real.

“A-Are you,” Carrie began, “an angel?”

He nodded. “I am the angel of holy fire.”

A look of bewilderment passed across her face. “Angel of holy fire?” She shook her head. “I thought Lailah—”

“I took her place,” he interceded with a smile.

“But why?”

“God granted Lailah her mortal life back.”

Her eyes widened. “You mean, she’s human again, and here on earth?”

“Yes, Carrie.”

Joseph watched and worried as he anxiously stood back, waiting for his cue to approach Carrie. Finally, when the angel motioned to him and the others, he blew out a sigh of relief and came forward. His heart turned over in his chest the moment he looked down at her. She was pale, but not deathly so, which wasn’t bad considering all she’d been through. Before he spoke, he mentally told himself, I can be strong for her. Instilling himself with courage, he muttered, “Carrie…”

Her head turned slowly toward him. “Joseph?”

He immediately dropped to his knees and scanned over her face, searching for evidence of injury. “Are you all right? Are you hurt?”

“Don’t worry,” she said, flashing him a weak smile. “Thanks to the angel, I’m almost as good as new.”

Joseph briefly closed his eyes. Thank you, God. Then he faced the gigantic angel and said, “Thank you. How can I ever repay you? You saved the love of my life.”

The angel dipped his head. “Just take care of one another.”

Joseph nodded. “I will.”

We will,” Carrie abruptly said.

When the angel stepped away and moved toward Nicolas to say his good-byes, Joseph refocused his eyes on Carrie. “I thought I’d lost you,” he said as a tear rolled down his cheek. 

“Remember what I said to you earlier this morning?” She reached up and wiped at his tear. “That you were stuck with me?”

Her words made him chuckle. “I believe I can make the sacrifice.” Then, he closed the distance between them, and kissed her. When he drew away at last, he murmured, “I love you, Carrie.”

“I love you, too,” she said, smiling at him before leaning up to kiss him again.

“You okay, sweetheart?”

Carrie looked up to see her Uncle Frank suddenly looming over her, a worried expression edged into every groove of his face. Standing close by was his partner, Detective Manuel Sanchez, her best friend, Jessica, and Jessica’s boyfriend, Ryan. And they all looked as every bit concerned as her uncle.
   
“I’m fine,” Carrie said, trying to infuse strength into her words. Although, by the gloomy look on their faces, she doubted they believed her. “Really,” she went on to say, slowly pushing herself upright. “So, stop worrying.”

“You scared the shit out of me girl,” Jessica said, wiping the tears from her eyes. “I thought you were dead.”

“I’m so sorry, Jess.”

“Although I haven’t the faintest idea what all just happened here,” said Jessica, “I’m just relieved you’re alive. Hell, there for a minute, I didn’t even think I’d survive.”

Ryan wrapped a comforting arm around Jessica and Carrie said, “I’m pretty clueless myself. But I promise to do my best to explain what I do know.”

Jessica nodded. “We’ll talk, later.”
  
Frank bent down and took hold of Carrie’s hand. “I'm just grateful to have you back.”

“Me too,” said Carrie as Joseph helped her to her feet. “You’re not still planning on arresting Joseph, are you?”

“No, sweetheart,” said Frank, averting his eyes from Carrie then focusing on Joseph as he lumbered back up. “We were never going to arrest you, Joseph. With some help from our friends, we found out about the Shadow. We were just trying to get you to a safe place and at the same time, avoid further casualties.”

“I’ll have to admit,” Manuel chimed into the conversation, “you took us on one helluva goose chase, Mr. Parker.” He arched a brow, then continued to say, “In all my years on the force, you’ve been the most difficult person to locate.”

When Joseph tensed, as though he wasn’t sure how to respond to Manuel and her uncle’s statements, Carrie piped in and said, “Before you arrived this morning, we’d already made a decision.” Her eyes went back and forth between Manuel and her uncle. “We decided to come to you two for help. I was unsure at first, worried you wouldn’t believe us, but Joseph assured me it was the right thing to do. And honestly, it was our last resort. Neither of us had a clue on how to deal with a demon.”

“This was my burden,” Joseph spoke out. “I never meant for anyone to get hurt, especially Carrie.”

“You didn’t ask for any of this,” said Carrie, studying Joseph intently, wondering if he’d ever stop blaming himself. “None of this is your fault.”

A deep voice came from behind. “She’s right, Joseph.”

When everyone turned, a barefooted, European looking guy with ripped and tattered clothes came up to Joseph with his hand outstretched. “I’m not sure if you remember me,” he said, eyeing Joseph sharply. “We were just kids back then. But I lived in your neighborhood and—”

“Roman?” Joseph blurted, looking befuddled. “Is it really you?”

“In the flesh,” stated Roman, smiling perfectly white teeth.

Joseph smiled back, and there was a wealth of emotion in his eyes. As he took hold of Roman’s hand, he said, “I can’t tell you how glad I am to see you. But how are you connected with—”

“I’ll explain the details later,” said Roman, squeezing his hand. “For now, let’s just call it divine intervention.”
 
Joseph nodded. “I’ll graciously accept that answer. It’s good to see you again.”

“You too, buddy,” said Roman, giving his hand another squeeze.

A knock at the door took them by surprise. As Carrie and the others shifted their attention toward the open doorway, a dark complexioned young woman with thick black hair pulled up into a curly, poufy ponytail peeked her head inside. She was a talented author who lived in the apartment upstairs next to Ryan’s. “Carrie… Jessica…” She called out. “Are you home?” 
 
“Oh shit,” whispered Jessica, looking at Carrie wide-eyed. “It’s AJ. I completely forgot she was coming early to help me get ready for your party." She kept her voice down. "Thank goodness the angel and the others aren't still here. They made their exits in the nick of time.”

“Oh no.” Carrie gasped. “The apartment is a mess.”

“You sure you’re still up to having the party?” asked Joseph, keeping his voice low.

“Why not.” Carrie held up her hands in defeat. “After everything, I think I’m ready to get back to some sort of normalcy. Not to mention a few rounds of drinks,” she tacked on.

“I’ll second that,” said Jessica.

“Come on in,” Carrie called out, motioning AJ inside. “And sorry for the mess.”

When AJ moved further inside and caught sight of the disheveled apartment, her eyes rounded in startled disbelief. “Oh my, gosh.” She flinched, nearly dropping the covered dish in her grasp. “What happened?”

“Uh…” muttered Carrie, her eyes roaming over all the wreckage, trying to come up with some sort of explanation. “Racoons got in.”

“Racoons did all this?” asked AJ, her head swiveling between Carrie and all the overturned chairs and broken glass littering the living room. 
    
“It was a family of racoons,” blurted Ryan.

“Yeah,” said Jessica. “We accidently left the door open last night.”

AJ frantically looked around. “They’re not still here, are they?”

“No, no,” said Carrie. “Don’t worry. They’re all gone.”

“Thank goodness,” AJ replied, sighing in relief.

“How ‘bout we move the party upstairs to my apartment,” suggested Ryan. “I’ll get the grill fired up for the barbeque.”

Jessica winked at Ryan and Carrie silently mouthed, thank you.   

“Sounds like a plan,” said Joseph. “I’ll help Ryan get the ribs prepped.”

Roman nudged Joseph's arm and whispered, "You wouldn't happen to have an extra set of clothes and shoes I could borrow, do you?" He gestured to his torn clothes and bare feet. "I kind of ripped these..." He paused and lowered his voice even more, "...you know, when I shifted."

Before Joseph could answer, Ryan stepped closer and said, "I think I've got something in your size."

Roman clapped a hand over Ryan's shoulder. "Thanks man."

"You think you can lend me something too?" asked Joseph, looking down at his wrinkled T-shirt and jogging shorts. "I didn't get the chance to grab a change of clothes last night and this is all I have."

"Don't worry," said Ryan. "I've got you both covered."

"Thanks," said Joseph, smiling up at Ryan.  

While everyone started gathering everything for the party, Frank wrapped an arm around Carrie and whispered close to her ear, “Racoons?” He chuckled lightly. “Where in the world did that come from?”

“Well…” Carrie said with a shrug. “They have been getting into everyone’s trash lately.”

Frank pulled her close. “I love you, sweetie.” He kissed the top of her head. “And happy birthday.”

“Thanks, Uncle Frank. I love you, too.”  
    
To be continued. . . 
    
       
   

 
 
 
 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

Jena McCain - She is an inspiring artist with the ability to speak with the dead. Jena was attacked and bitten by an age-old creature and cursed with a lust for human blood. Now that she is to become the creature and hunt humans, instead of killing innocent people, she will only hunt evil.

Nicolas Ratcliff - He is immortal with the power of invisibility and supernatural speed. He works for the San Francisco Police Department as a detective. He's bonded with Jena McCain.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later.

Carrie Randall - She is Detective Frank Perkin's niece. She works as a substance abuse counselor in Berkeley, California. She has a love interest in Joseph Parker.

Joseph Parker (a.k.a. Joseph Harris) - He works at the San Francisco Chronicle as a freelance journalist. At age five, an evil entity invaded his body after his father murdered his mother. While his father was sent to prison for his crime, Joseph was placed into several foster families until finally forced into a mental institute after diagnosed with schizophrenia and psychopathic behavior. As time passed and with the evil entity's guidance, Joseph was later released into society.

The Shadow - An evil entity who has possessed Joseph Parker. Its main purpose is to gain access to souls by using its host to kill, consuming human flesh.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast, inherited by the Chiang-Shih demon.

Sebastian Crow - He is a half-breed and Jem and Jace's half-brother. He has the power to summon a portal.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who late discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

Battle angels - Their one purpose for existence is to serve the Creator in the war against demons and evil havoc on earth.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.