Supernatural Science Fiction posted March 20, 2022 Chapters:  ...105 106 -107- 108... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

The Unexpected Guests/Pt 4

by scongrove


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. Whew! It's taken me awhile to write this one. If you notice typos or mistakes, please let me know. I hope you enjoy! :)
Previously. . .

With uncanny speed and eyes gleaming with malice, Jace’s beast sped forward with his jaws open. But before he could reach the demon, it crushed Jena’s windpipe with the force of a closing bear trap and flung her into the charging Beast. The two werewolves smacked into one another like a pair of bowling pins before crashing into a wall.

“Jena—” The man with purple eyes cried out, rushing toward the fallen werewolves. He knelt by the dark-furred female, who was lying on her side, and gently rolled her onto her back. She gasped in pain, but she controlled herself, and gazed up at the man who was staring down at her. His expression appeared visibly concerned.

“I’m okay, Nicolas,” she said in a puff of breath. “I’ll heal.”   

“But—” He protested.

Go,” she gritted out, clenching her teeth. “Help the others… Destroy the Shadow.”

Nicolas glanced over his shoulder, across the wreckage of the apartment, to the Shadow who glared at him in mockery. Nicolas rose with his brows pinched, then shifted his attention to Jace’s beast. In a semi-conscious daze, the werewolf grunted, but still managed to get to his feet. Some of the hide on his shoulders and chest had been ripped away, coating his white fur in crimson. The bloody image reminded Nicolas of the first time he’d laid eyes on Jace’s beast, back when they’d destroyed his older brother, Ashton.

Ashton had been cursed then. A savage killer. And he’d bitten Jena, spreading the Lupine virus to her. But God had given his brother a second chance. He’d been chosen as the angel of holy fire, tasked to protect humanity and guard the outer limits of heaven. Afterall, Ashton wasn’t born evil. Before he’d been cursed, he was an honorable man. A good, loving brother. 

“Whaddya say we go kick some demon ass,” Nicolas finally said, peering up at the Beast.

Infused with fury, Jace’s beast looked at Nicolas narrow-eyed and nodded a ghastly affirmative.

Continued. . .

“What’s the hold up, guys,” a guttural voice came from behind. “Let’s do this thing.”

As they turned, their eyes met Roman’s. Although, he no longer looked fully human. Now, he was twice the size, his distinctive European characteristics replaced by those resembling a man and a werewolf. A species unlike any of the others with eyes that shimmered like diamonds. Though Nicolas had only witnessed such a creature on a few occasions, he knew what Roman was. An Adalwolf.  And standing alongside him were two Breedline wolves. They were twice the size, if not bigger, than any average four-legged wolf. And their fur was as black as night, but Nicolas distinctly recognized Drakon. His rogue wolf was larger and had long curving canines like a saber-toothed tiger. So obviously, the other wolf had to be the Breedline council head, Tim Ross.  

Although the odds were stacked against them, still, the group banded together, readying themselves to go into battle.

Tension crackled in the air as the Shadow narrowed its evil eyes into hateful slits and fisted his boney fingers, waiting in silent fury.

While the group of supernatural beings glared at one another, preparing for war, Jessica huddled in Ryan’s arms, blinking at the freakish sight. As if awakening from a dream, she lifted her chin and looked up at him with an expression of “what the hell is happening” marred on her features. Fearful of their outcome, she opened her mouth and tried to form words. But nothing came. She tried again, and croaked out, “W-We’re going to die, aren’t we?”

For a moment, Ryan could only stare down at her, trying to make sense of it all.

She felt uneasy when he didn’t readily answer. “R-Ryan?”

He took a deep breath and faked a half-smile. “No, Jessica. We’re not—”    
        
Ryan’s words trailed off when the Shadow finally spoke. “You haven’t the power to defeat me.” His bright orbs remained fixed on Nicolas, then darted over the others, his eyes flaring murderously. “You’re nothing but a pack of dogs.”

His words further angered Jace’s three-hundred-pound Beast. He looked like a werewolf on steroids as he shot forward in a heated rage. With incredible speed, the Shadow grabbed the werewolf by the throat at the last possible second and held him at arm’s length. The Beast thrashed and snarled but was unable to break free of the evil entity’s hold.  

Unexpectedly, something immense rammed into the Shadow from behind, knocking him off balance. The impact was enough to loosen his grip and set the Beast free. Growling in frustration, the Beast cricked his neck and rose on two legs once more. He glared at the demon and bunched his muscles. In a frenzy of teeth and claws, he bolted toward the Shadow. Its white coat was but a mere blur, covering the distance in a split second. The Shadow tried to react, but by the time his mind registered movement, the Beast was already on him, snapping at his throat.

The impact hurled the Shadow backwards, and they both crashed to the floor. Claws tore into the bones of demon’s neck, ripping and snapping them.

The Beast’s cunning maneuver took the demon by surprise, and for a moment, he found himself disorientated. But that feeling quickly faded and outrage took its place. Regaining the upper hand, the demon dug his boney fingers into the back of the Beast’s neck and tossed the massive werewolf away.

As the Shadow watched the Beast collide into a wall, smacking his head with a wet crack, he caught a glimpse of two dark figures circling him. As the demon turned to look, he froze at the gaping jaws closing in. He regained his senses when something sharp pierced through his chest cavity. Suddenly, his entire body filled with a blinding pain. The demon roared in agony as the bones crumbled under the force of the bite. Before he could counter-attack, his wrists became pinned to the floor as another set of teeth fastened around his neck. Canines the size of daggers crunched through bone and tore away pieces of vertebrae.

Then a voice called out, “Nicolas!”

Nicolas looked up from where he kept one of the demon’s wrists locked in place while Roman pinned the other. Instantly, he recognized the man who had appeared out of nowhere. The combination of pale skin, golden eyes, and long, jet black hair was a dead giveaway. It was Jace and Jem’s half-brother, Sebastian Crow. When he held up a silver dagger, he said, “Use this.” Then Sebastian tossed it to him, and added, “Aim for the eyes.”

With fast reflexes, Nicolas snatched up the blade and quickly plunged it into the thing’s eye socket. The Shadow bucked and let out a hellish shriek. In a desperate attempt, it clutched the hilt with its boney claws and tried to pluck it free. Finally, unable to retrieve the weapon, the demon went limp, hands falling to its sides, and died with a defeated grimace marring its evil face.

Breathing hard, Nicolas plucked out the dagger and backed away, taking in the grisly scene, just as the Shadow’s skeletal form began to shift back into Carrie’s body.

An expression of shocked disbelief emerged from Nicolas’s face and all the others gathered in the apartment.

Carrie! Joseph screamed her name in his mind. His throat clenched, squeezing until he felt he could not breathe. When he finally got his voice to work, he yelled her name aloud. There was such an overwhelming sense of heartache and devastation in his tone.

Eager to get to her, Joseph struggled with the cuffs that were still bound to his wrists. Finally, he looked between the two detectives in frustration. “Please…” He staggered, his legs wobbling like he was on the verge of collapsing. “Take these things off.”

The second Manuel uncuffed him, he rushed to Carrie’s side with her Uncle Frank trailing behind. Joseph dropped to his knees and bit back tears, forcing himself to look at her wounds. The damage to her eye had been catastrophic, and she did not appear to be healing. That’s when realization struck him. Carrie had died the moment the Shadow had been destroyed.

As Frank fell to his knees and broke into fits of sobs, Joseph fought back his own urge to break down. Instead, he swallowed back tears and reached out to Carrie. Gently, he picked up her head and placed it on his lap. “Oh, God,” he said, stroking her hair. “This is all my fault.” He lowered his face to hers. “Please, Carrie…” Tears trickled down his cheeks. “Please come back to me.”

A voice from above softly addressed Joseph. “I may be able to help.”   
    
When Joseph lifted his head, the tall man with long, blond hair—who had just moments ago, shot fire out of the palm of his hand, attempting to destroy the Shadow—stood above him with compassion in his gaze.

“It’s too late,” said Joseph, slumping his shoulders. Inhaling sharply, as if to gain courage, he went on to say, “She’s already gone.”

“My name is Jem Chamberlain,” said the tall blond-haired guy. “I’m a friend of Carrie’s uncle.” He looked to Frank with a sympathetic smile, then back to Joseph. “Not only can I heal, but I also have the gift to bring back the dead. Although, I have healed fatal injuries and illnesses, I have never actually used my powers for this before.”

Joseph’s eyes flew open, and his mouth made the shape of an O. But before he could utter a reply, Frank said, “Please, Jem…” He paused, using the back of his hand to wipe the tears off his face. “You’ve got to try to bring my little girl back. She means the world to my wife and I.”

“And me, too,” said Jessica, crouching next to Frank, her voice stricken with tears. Then, her focus shifted to Joseph. Her eyes displayed empathy and a hint of hope in them. As she looked back to Jem, she continued with sheer determination in her voice. “I don’t know who you people are, or rather what you are, but all I care about is my best friend. If you can bring her back, then do it.”

“I second that,” said Manuel, as he came up behind Frank, his lips trembling and his eyes wet with tears.”

Jem’s eyes roamed over the grieving faces surrounding him and nodded. “I can’t guarantee it will work, but I’ll do everything in my power to bring her back.”

Jem lowered himself to the floor and carefully gathered Carrie into his arms. He stared wearily into her lifeless, pale face, and to the bloody wound to her eye. He drew in a deep breath, closed his eyes, and used his mind to reach out to Carrie’s soul. And he prayed to God it hadn’t already left her body. Although he feared the worst, he was determined.

"Carrie, can you hear me?"

He waited, cradling her limp body against his, praying for even the slightest sign. When there was nothing, only dead silence, he tried again. "Carrie… Listen to my voice. If you can hear me, let it be your guide. Follow the sound of my voice." 
        

As Jem remained patient, holding on with every bit of hope, he merged more forcefully with her one last time. "Carrie, hear my voice. Let it guide you back to the light. Come back to us. Come back to the people who love you. Your Uncle Frank needs you. Jessica needs you. And Joseph needs you."

It took all Jem’s strength and concentration to search for Carrie’s soul. But all that remained was darkness. Nothing but an empty void.

Jem squeezed his eyes in frustration just before he gave up, and finally lifted his lids. The moment he looked up, tears fell from his eyes. He felt like a failure and shook his head sadly. “I’m sorry, but—”

“I can bring her back,” a voice echoed a short distance away, cutting Jem’s words off.

When everyone looked to the unfamiliar voice, as if by magic, a giant man angel with black wings and tattooed symbols covering his arms ducked through the open doorway. He was tall, maybe ten feet, and his shoulder length hair was ink black. He was bare chested with a lean muscular physique and wore tight, black leather pants with matching boots.

Everyone remained speechless, taking in the gigantic angel standing inside the apartment, his head nearly reaching the ceiling. As he straightened and faced the occupants of the room, his eyes zeroed in on a creature sitting on the floor with its back propped up against the wall. It looked like a werewolf, but much bigger. By the blood covering its white fur, and it’s hide ripped in places, it was evident the wolfish creature had been wounded. When it noticed the giant angel, who towered above him, its white hairs retreated into flesh. Bones cracked and reformed. Within seconds, the werewolf was gone, and the naked body of a long-haired male took its place. The bloody, ragged wounds that covered the man’s torso began to fade until finally, they miraculously vanished as though they had never been there.

The sounds of heavy breathing, with the faintest hint of a growl, brought the angels head around. Lying on the other side of the room was a massive creature similar to the white werewolf, except coarse, black fur covered its muscular body. For some strange reason, he sensed the identity of the human beneath the wolfish exterior. He moved closer and dropped into a crouch as the werewolf began its transformation. When the form of a naked woman emerged, silence hung like a shroud, broken only by the pounding beat of his own heart. Time seemed to slow as realization hit him. This was the young woman he had cursed. She opened her eyes and managed a weak smile. “Hello, Ashton.”

The angel appeared frozen for a moment, too shocked to react. Then he regained his senses and smiled back. “Hello, Jena.”

Jena shook her head, refusing the angel’s hand when he offered it. “Don’t worry about me,” she said. “I’ll be fine. Go help the girl.”

He nodded and rose to his feet. As the angel shifted, ready to use his gift to bring Carrie back to the living, he heard a familiar voice call out. “Brother? Is it really you?”

The angel paused and turned his head. A tall man with purple eyes and ink black hair stood among a group of people who surrounded the body of the dead girl. Lurking close by the others were two hulking wolves and another two-footed, wolfish creature he remembered from not so long ago.

The angel couldn’t believe what he was seeing. The man addressing him was his little brother. He looked across at Nicolas and grinned. “Yes, little brother,” he finally said, his words laced with a southern drawl. “It’s me… Ashton.” 

When Nicolas moved toward him, Ashton closed the distance with his arms outstretched. As they hugged, Nicolas felt like a child crushed up against his brother’s superhuman size. His head barely came up to Ashton’s stomach.

Pulling from their embrace, Nicolas looked up, meeting his brother’s gaze, who was now the angel of holy fire, and said, “How did you know to come here?”

Ashton nodded towards the ceiling. “God sent me.”

“To bring the girl back?” asked Nicolas.

Ashton nodded. “It’s not her time.”
 
When Ashton moved next to Carrie and knelt beside her, Joseph muttered, “W-Who are you?”

The man angel did not answer, but there was a flutter near his back. Joseph and the others surrounding Carrie quickly scrambled back as the angel’s huge wings began to unfold. As the dark plumage unsheathed to their fullest, they wrapped around Carrie’s limp body, and began to glow.

Joseph looked at Nicolas with a puzzled expression on his face. “What is he doing?”

Nicolas smiled at Joseph and simply said, “He’s saving her.”

To be continued. . .
 
     
       
 
    

 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

Jena McCain - She is an inspiring artist with the ability to speak with the dead. Jena was attacked and bitten by an age-old creature and cursed with a lust for human blood. Now that she is to become the creature and hunt humans, instead of killing innocent people, she will only hunt evil.

Nicolas Ratcliff - He is immortal with the power of invisibility and supernatural speed. He works for the San Francisco Police Department as a detective. He's bonded with Jena McCain.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast, inherited by the Chiang-Shih demon. His bonded mate is Tessa Fairchild. He's an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and the council head of the California Covenant.

Carrie Randall - She is Detective Frank Perkin's niece. She works as a substance abuse counselor in Berkeley, California. She has a love interest in Joseph Parker.

Joseph Parker (a.k.a. Joseph Harris) - He works at the San Francisco Chronicle as a freelance journalist. At age five, an evil entity invaded his body after his father murdered his mother. While his father was sent to prison for his crime, Joseph was placed into several foster families until finally forced into a mental institute after diagnosed with schizophrenia and psychopathic behavior. As time passed and with the evil entity's guidance, Joseph was later released into society.

The Shadow - An evil entity who has possessed Joseph Parker. Its main purpose is to gain access to souls by using its host to kill, consuming human flesh.

Sebastian Crow - He is a half-breed and Eve's bonded mate. He has the power to summon a portal.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who late discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species and bonded to Cassie Chamberlain.

Jessica - Carrie's best friend and roommate.

Ryan - He's Carrie's boyfriend.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.