Supernatural Science Fiction posted March 1, 2022 Chapters:  ...103 104 -105- 106... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

The Unexpected Guests/Pt 2

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. If you catch typos or mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & I hope you enjoy!
In an exclusive Novella set in the world of the Breedline—a secret species of humans who are born with the power to shift into wolves—Shana Congrove tells the story of a young boy, Joseph who—grieving over his mother’s death at the hands of his abusive father—finds his world turned upside down. While his father awaits sentencing, Joseph is placed into the system, going from one foster family to another. And just when things couldn’t get any worse, an evil entity invades his body, introducing itself as the Shadow.

Twenty-one years later, as this mysterious demonic spirit continues to inhabit Joseph’s body, it manipulates his mind, luring him toward something dark and sinister… something that is beyond his control. 
    
Carrie Randall—a substance abuse counselor who is unsuccessful at dating and cursed with a boss from hell—comes face-to-face with death when two men approach her in a dark alley. In the midst of her assault, something resembling a werewolf, comes to her rescue in the nick of time. As she tries to process everything—unsure if what she witnessed was real or fantasy—her world suddenly collides with a handsome stranger as though they were somehow brought together by fate.  

Despite her past relationships, Carrie finds herself spellbound, falling for Joseph Parker—a handsome, yet mysterious journalist who works for an esteemed newspaper in Berkeley, California. But when Carrie discovers his terrifying secrets, she begins to fear for her life.   

Now, Carrie is forced to make the hardest decision of her life. Will she turn her back on Joseph or stay and help him fight the demon, who desires her soul?
              
Previously. . . (NOTE:  Added a second round of changes from last post)

Before Joseph managed to get another word out, a group of large men barged through the open doorway. Instantly, all eyes were on them. Jessica quickly latched onto Ryan’s arm.

Joseph stiffened when a guy with a black, short-trimmed Mohawk entered, sporting a pair of dark-rimmed sunglasses. He towered to the height of at least six-seven, his intimidating stature alone frightening, not to mention his bulging, muscular arms. When he moved, Joseph caught a glimpse of a word tattooed on his neck, but he couldn’t make out what it said.

As the Mohawked-guy inched closer, Joseph noticed Ryan peer up at the guy like he recognized him. And by the expression on the guy’s face, he looked surprised to see Ryan.   
 
Joseph quickly averted his eyes from the scary Mohawked-guy as two more men entered. They looked identical, like twins, except one had a scar on the left side of his temple. Their long, blonde hair made him think of musicians from an 80s rock band. Behind them, another guy emerged with a black satchel strapped over his shoulder. He had a menacing look about him, but not as much as the Mohawked-guy.

Then, two more guys stalked inside. Both had ink-black, shoulder-length hair, one with olive skin and dark set eyes. By his prominent features, he looked European. The other guy had a palish complexion with a distinguished aura about him. His eyes were an odd color. They had to be contact lenses, Joseph thought. No one really had purple eyes.

When the group of hulking men crowded into the apartment, a tall, blonde-headed woman stepped inside and moved next to the guy with purple eyes. She squared her shoulders and focused on him with a narrowed stare. Although the woman had a petite frame, she gave off the vibe that she could take care of herself. Her facial expression was nothing but stone cold. The woman reeked of confidence and perseverance. Then, she lifted her chin and deeply inhaled, her nostrils flaring as she sniffed the air. Joseph nervously watched as the woman shifted her attention away from him and focused her eyes on Carrie with a baleful glare.

The instant the woman tore her gaze away from Carrie, she looked to the men, who were obviously part of her crew, and said, “It’s no longer possessing Joseph.” She pointed toward Carrie. “The Shadow’s in the girl.”

How did she know? Joseph furrowed his brows, thinking. Who are these people? 

When everyone focused on Carrie, the room went so quiet, you could’ve heard a pin drop.

“Who the hell are you people?” Jessica spoke out as though she read Joseph’s mind, her eyes roaming over all the unfamiliar faces. “And what the hell is going on here?” 

Ignoring Jessica’s outburst, Frank frantically looked back and forth from Carrie to Jena, until finally, his eyes feasted upon his niece in stunned disbelief. “Oh God…” His voice trembled. “C-Carrie…”

As the blonde-headed woman started forward with her eyes locked on Carrie, the satchel-toting guy raised a hand. “Jena, wait…” His firm voice stopped her in her tracks. “Let’s try our plan first.” 

With her lips drawn in a thin line, Jena nodded an understanding, then sternly said, “You got one shot at this, Tim.” Her voice sounded guttural, ready for lethal force. “You better pray it works.”

“If Tim’s plan doesn’t work,” said one of the guys who looked like an 80s rocker, “I’ll use my powers.”

“No, Jem…” blurted Frank, his eyes pleading with the blond, long-haired rocker. “You’ll kill her. Please… Carrie is like a daughter to me.”

“Don’t hurt her,” Joseph finally said, struggling in the handcuffs. “This is not her fault.”  

The long-haired guy, who Frank addressed as Jem, looked between him and Frank with a grim expression. “I’m sorry. But we may have no choice. We have to stop the demon.”

“No.” Joseph shook his head, his voice filled with tears. “There has to be another way.”

The man with the satchel, ignoring their pleas, slipped it off his shoulders and reached inside. The moment he brought his hand out, he held what looked to be a tranquilizer gun.

“Everyone ready?” asked Tim, recalling Jena’s statement, knowing he only had one shot to get this done. And if the tranquilizer wasn’t enough to sedate the evil entity possessing Carrie, they would have to resort to using Jem’s deadly powers. There just weren’t any other options.

If anyone had any reservations about the plan, they didn’t make them known. Instead, Tim received nothing but affirmative nods within his group.   
 
Continued. . .
 
As Tim aimed the tranquilizer gun at Carrie, he prayed like hell it would be enough to sedate the demon, but in turn, not enough that it would kill her.

Carrie just stood there as if waiting, her hands fisted at her sides. Her haunting stare chilled Tim’s guts and made the hairs on the back of his neck rise. Worse still, as her lips peeled back, he saw the flash of sharp teeth.

 Here goes nothing, Tim thought as he inhaled a breath. He paused only to better secure his grip, while Carrie’s black eyes narrowed to slits. On the exhale, he squeezed the trigger. But to everyone’s surprise, she reached out like time stood still, and caught it with unimaginable speed.

The long-haired rocker lookalike with the scar marring his temple blurted, “What the f—”

His words trailed off when Carrie lifted off the floor and hovered in mid-air, hissing like a mass of snakes. Then, a crackling sound—like the flames of a fire—perked her ears.

Jessica started sobbing, repeating the words oh god, oh god, until Ryan pulled her closer, cradling her head against his chest to silence her.

With his hands still cuffed behind his back, Joseph plodded a few steps forward. “Please, Carrie…” He said, gazing into her hellish eyes. “Don’t listen to the Shadow. You can fight this.” He swallowed back tears. “I-I love you.”

Carrie looked in his direction, but it wasn’t Joseph she was focused on.

It was Jem.

Her eyes fixed upon the other long-haired blond—who had somehow magically summoned a meteor in the palm of his hand—with an expression of rage, as if a gathering storm was building inside her.

As Jem extended his fiery hand, preparing to strike, Joseph hollered, “NO!”  
    
But it was too late. The blazing inferno had already launched from the palm of his hand. As it made contact, Carrie’s body ignited into flames. Her screams of agony brought Joseph to his knees. When she reached out for him, the flames rose, blazing up like a column of fire. In the blink of an eye, her body shrank back as though the flames had swallowed her whole.

Joseph lowered his head and broke down as if his world had come to an end. 

Frank darted forward. “No!” he cried out. “Carrie!”

Manuel’s hands were suddenly tight on Frank’s arm.

“Let me go!” Frank protested, but Manuel tightened his grip, drawing him back even as Frank fought his way toward his niece.   
  
An air of melancholy surrounded the room, and Jem felt the weight of regret and responsibility pressing down on his shoulders. As he went to offer Frank some consolation, an eerie laughter halted him in his tracks. The voice echoed through the room, sending chills through Jem’s veins. Then, out of nowhere, smoldering boney fingers gripped him by the throat. Instantly, the air in his lungs began to thicken.

In Jem’s desperate attempts to tear away from the powerful clutch that held him, his efforts seemed useless. “Not possible—” he finally managed to choke out, his face tight with pain.

Everyone turned in unison, mouths dropping in utter disbelief as they gazed upon the horror before them. Carrie had somehow transformed into something far more wicked. And it had Jem by the throat.

Wreathed in flames, an evil monstrosity, resembling the Grim Reaper himself, towered above them. Beneath a black hooded robe, eyes of burning coals peered down at them with a scornful look. Its ghoulish features were without flesh, revealing a face made of teeth and bone.

No, Carrie wanted to say, don’t hurt them, but the words would not come. The Shadow had taken her body and her ability to speak. She fought with all her strength to find her way back to herself, to shift back into her true form, but she was lost in the demon’s blaze of fire. Please, God, she thought, help me. 
 
To be continued. . . (Hopefully I will have more next time around) 
  

  
 
 
 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

Carrie Randall - She is Detective Frank Perkin's niece. She works as a substance abuse counselor in Berkeley, California. She has a love interest in Joseph Parker.

Joseph Parker (a.k.a. Joseph Harris) - He works at the San Francisco Chronicle as a freelance journalist. At age five, an evil entity invaded his body after his father murdered his mother. While his father was sent to prison for his crime, Joseph was placed into several foster families until finally forced into a mental institute after diagnosed with schizophrenia and psychopathic behavior. As time passed and with the evil entity's guidance, Joseph was later released into society.

The Shadow - An evil entity who has possessed Joseph Parker. Its main purpose is to gain access to souls by using its host to kill, consuming human flesh.

Jessica - Carrie's best friend and roommate.

Ryan - Jessica's boyfriend

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who late discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and the council head of the California Covenant.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Jena McCain - She is an inspiring artist with the ability to speak with the dead. Jena was attacked and bitten by an age-old creature and cursed with a lust for human blood. Now that she is to become the creature and hunt humans, instead of killing innocent people, she will only hunt evil.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.