Spiritual Fiction posted February 25, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
from God

The Messenger

by pome lover


 

Father Jim listened to his parishioner confess the same sins he’d confessed the last time and the time before that, and sighed. Pardoning repetitive sins seemed not only wrong, but pointless. After doling out the proper penance, the priest was alone with his thoughts. He felt that this fellow and others like him, thought of their confessions as a guilt disposal.  Toss ’em in, clean conscience. Then, predictably, they returned the following month, to shed their guilt, once again, as easily and quickly as Father Jim seemed to be shedding his hair.

Walking home afterwards, he thought about his calling, how he’d tried to live his life the way God intended. But the more he thought about how it had turned out, the more disillusioned he became. Also, he was worried about the terrible things happening all over the world, especially in this country that he loved. The stress and anguish over the news and his own situation were literally affecting his mental health. But the main thing concerning him was the feeling that he was losing faith not only in himself but in his fellow man. He was seriously considering giving up the priesthood.

Stopping at his house, he smiled at the healthy Pittosporum bushes he’d planted across the front. They’d survived the freeze, thank goodness. Would he survive his lack of faith in his calling? Instead of going in, he continued on to the Beer’s Head, a local bar. Shrugging dispiritedly, he went in.  

It was eerily dark inside, and there was a new bartender. Father Jim greeted him and ordered a beer. Looking around, he noticed that the only customers besides himself, were two others at a table in the back. Judging by the tone of their voices, it was a very contentious meeting.  A soft glow seemed to surround one of them and a definite aura of evil emanated from the other.

Father Jim turned back to ask the bartender what was going on, but he had disappeared. The “hackles” on the back of the priest’s neck rose. If they were who he thought they were, this was something big. The future of mankind could be at stake. Wondering if perhaps he’d been drawn here for a reason, the priest found a booth within listening distance. Maybe he would find out.

Suddenly, he was jolted by a raspy, booming voice, saying, “Father Jim. Step forward. We require your presence.” Shaking with trepidation, the priest slid out of the booth, and presented himself before them, his eyes cast down. He could not look directly at them.

But then, a feeling of warmth enveloped him, and this time it was God who spoke. “Father Jim, Satan, here, wants to gather the souls of good, moral people and take them below.  He has challenged me to a few hands of poker, winner claims the souls. Can you not look at me, my son?”

The priest kept his head bowed and said, “I am not worthy to look at You, Lord.”

God smiled. “Father Jim, I picked you for this assignment because you are worthy. Your disillusionment and doubt, however, made Satan agree to go along with this challenge. So. Here it is. I want you to be my ‘messenger.’ You shall go among the people of this town and tell them you have a message and a question for them from God. Tell them that the Devil wants to play poker for their souls, betting that their belief in Me isn’t strong enough to be tested. The test is a personal one for each person. Ask them, “If you could save someone’s life even though it could jeopardize your own, would you do it?”

The priest waited for more, and when it wasn’t forthcoming, he asked, “And what risk would that be?”

God said, “That would depend upon the individual and the situation, but their willingness to accept the challenge is the test.”

Father Jim asked, “And You will know who told the truth and who didn’t?”

God smiled. “I always know, my son.

Father Jim’s brow wrinkled with doubt. “But surely, Lord, they will ask, why?”

God smiled, sadly. “That is the question, isn’t it, Father?”

Sneering, the Devil said, “Looks like you just don’t want to win, God.”

“Keep a record, Father,” God said, ignoring Satan’s remark, “of those who would be willing and those who would not. You will have a week to get as many as you can, then, on the seventh day, bring them to me at sunrise.”

And where will you be, Lord?”

“I will be a homeless man on a bench by the lake in the park. Sunrise is an auspicious time, is it not?”

Father Jim was thinking that a week was not much time, when God said, “You’d best get started, Father.”

The Devil laughed. “A week is time enough for me to gather their souls, for they will not take the risk.”

Father Jim left with a heavy heart. God must win, but it was a huge test of courage and faith that God’s love would provide the strength needed for those who put themselves in harm’s way.

Later that day, the priest was talking to a man in a sporting goods store who was taking his son scuba diving. The man said that his son was afraid of sharks and he wanted to help him master his fear and, with proper precautions, enjoy the sport. Father Jim told him God’s message about His challenge from the Devil and asked him, “if you were swimming in the ocean and a shark was heading for your son, would you draw the shark away from your son, endangering yourself?”

“To save my son? Of course!”

“And the shark was then going to attack you?”

The man blanched and said, softly, “God help me, I hope I would.”

The priest couldn’t very well say, “Well, have a good trip;” instead he smiled and said, “I think you would, but I hope the chance doesn’t present itself and you and your son have a great time together.” I count that as a yes, he thought, and wrote it down.

Walking down the sidewalk, he saw his sister in the grocery store parking lot. She called him over and asked him if he could come to supper. He checked his watch and it was already 5:30. “Cutting it a little close, aren’tcha, Sis?” he said, laughing, then quickly accepted before she changed her mind.

After an enjoyable meal, she took him aside. “Jim, you know how I feel about my mother-in-law. She has always been mean and hateful to me, and I truly dislike her intensely. So, I want your advice on something.”

“Oho! That’s why you asked me to supper.”

“Yes,” she said honestly, “But also because we haven’t seen you in a while, and I’ve missed you.”

“Well, I’m glad you did. It was good to get together with you two. So, now, what’s this all about?”

“The Wicked Witch of the West needs a blood transfusion to save her life and we have the same blood type.”

Her brother raised his eyebrows as if to say, “so?”

“Jim, I detest her! She has made my life miserable!”

“But you love your husband, right?”

“Of course.”

Her brother smiled. “Well, Sis, as it turns out, I have a message for you from God, which should help you decide.” He told her about Satan’s challenge to God and God’s question for her. Would she save her mother-in-law’s life in spite of the fact that she hated her and saving her life meant she would be around longer to taunt her?

His sister stared at him for a moment, then put her head in her hands and wept. Jim slid his arm around her shoulders, squeezing her encouragingly. She must have had a soul-searching cry, for she finally raised her head, gave him a peck on the cheek thank-you, and went to find her husband.

Father Jim knew he had to reach more people, so he began with his own congregation, and then spent the rest of the week going to the gym, the pet store, the hardware store, the doctors’ lounge in the city hospital, the police and fire stations and told the people about God’s message and asked them, individually, God’s question. He also got permission from his sister-in-law to come to her book club and ask them. Afterwards, heading home, he’d felt rather guilty.  Without exception, they’d been hesitant, acting cornered. Some were so shaken, they got teary and defensive. Not a good idea. From their reactions, he’d counted them all as no’s.

Later, at home, he totaled the answers, some of which surprised him. All of the fire and police men and women said they would try to help/save someone even if it put their lives in danger. Of course, they’d sworn to do that in their jobs, still, it was worth asking them.  Some of the doctors, exercisers, and businessmen and women, had said, no. And some of his own church members had hesitated, afraid and embarrassed, apologized and walked away.

At dawn on the seventh day, he was in a quandary. There was a tie. His beneficent God should be ahead! What had happened to people’s faith and love of their fellow man? What had happened to his?

As Father Jim approached the park bench, he saw that there were two homeless men sitting there. One of them took an expensive looking watch from his pocket and the priest heard him say, “Well, Dad, I’ve hung on to your watch as long as I could, but I’m down to my last nickel and I can’t find a job anywhere even when I get cleaned up, so…”

The next thing Father Jim knew, a man was pointing a gun at the old fellow, telling him to hand over the watch. Horrified, the priest rushed over to help, putting himself in front of the man with the watch. The man sitting next to him rose and put his hand on the robber's arm and said, "Go in peace." The robber slowly lowered his gun and walked away. The old man with the watch jumped up and scooted off, counting himself lucky.

God looked at Father Jim with pride. The priest had proved that his love for his fellow man was there all along, as well as his faith. He had won the challenge and demonstrated the goodness and courage in mankind, and God was pleased.

As for Satan, he was a terrible loser, cursing loudly as he sank, soul-less, back down into Hell.
 



Sing A Song Of.... contest entry

Recognized


1795 words, approx
The song, Spanish Train, lyrics by Chris De Burgh, was my challenge. I listened to it, (didn't like it) and though my story is based on the lyrics, I used the information loosely, and did not include the song in it. The protagonist is Father Jim.
I have always heard of hackles rising on the back of someone's neck when they're scared, but when I Googled it, to be sure, it said hackles were feathers on a bird's head or hairs on the back of an animal. However, humans have had raised hackles for years. :)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. pome lover All rights reserved.
pome lover has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.